Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:41 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,070,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northport70 View Post
Ton of entitlement in the new population over the past decade,especially in Western Wake…not as diverse and unless you can afford everything on your own this is not the place for what was a middle class slice of living.
Are you trying to tell me that there were no "rich" people in the Triangle years ago? $1 million net worth and up? I'm not sure if you're serious.

What hate about the growth in the Raleigh area are the way all the websites are so crowded now. I logged on at 5:00pm yesterday and there 1,000 new posts, all from people who just moved here. I miss the days when I could log on and only see 10 new posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 11:14 AM

70 posts, read 52,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Are you trying to tell me that there were no "rich" people in the Triangle years ago? $1 million net worth and up? I'm not sure if you're serious.

What hate about the growth in the Raleigh area are the way all the websites are so crowded now. I logged on at 5:00pm yesterday and there 1,000 new posts, all from people who just moved here. I miss the days when I could log on and only see 10 new posts.
we have a different definition of entitlement….mine was not based on wealth as your perception…think more of the people who demand and cry if they do not get what they feel is deserved…25+ years in the area and the last decade was a turning point especially in the field of education and the parents who want all kids to get a trophy.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northport70 View Post
we have a different definition of entitlement….mine was not based on wealth as your perception…think more of the people who demand and cry if they do not get what they feel is deserved…25+ years in the area and the last decade was a turning point especially in the field of education and the parents who want all kids to get a trophy.
Are you a teacher? I bet that Raleigh is not the only place that happens.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:38 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
In those places, the mid 90s through early 2000s were the craft beer boom. Most of the Triangle’s breweries sprung up 2008-2010 and later
Raleigh did have a brewpub in City Market, Greenshields Brewery, alllll the way back in 1989. I distinctly remember brewing scents when I was in grade school and doing some art project at Artspace next door. Judging from RateBeer, it doesn't seem like I was missing out on much.

But yes, NC was ahead of most of the East but far behind the West in updating its liquor laws to encourage microbreweries.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:13 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,778,173 times
Weeping Radish, near the OBX, was the first NC brewpub, back in 1986. At the time, there were less than 100 breweries in the country. The founder was responsible for getting the law changed to allow them in NC. He credits the Biltmore’s efforts with its winery for making it possible. They had a Durham Weeping Radish within a couple years, and I think it might have preceded Greenshields in Raleigh. Various brewpubs came and went over the years.

The Pop the Cap bill really changed everything. You had the handful of existing brewers (Natty Green, Highland, Duck Rabbit, etc.) ramping up production and an explosion of new brewers on the scene in just a few years (Foothills, Big Boss, Aviator, etc.).

Old 04-21-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Weeping Radish, near the OBX, was the first NC brewpub, back in 1986. At the time, there were less than 100 breweries in the country. The founder was responsible for getting the law changed to allow them in NC. He credits the Biltmore’s efforts with its winery for making it possible. They had a Durham Weeping Radish within a couple years, and I think it might have preceded Greenshields in Raleigh. Various brewpubs came and went over the years.

The Pop the Cap bill really changed everything. You had the handful of existing brewers (Natty Green, Highland, Duck Rabbit, etc.) ramping up production and an explosion of new brewers on the scene in just a few years (Foothills, Big Boss, Aviator, etc.).
Any guess why Highland changed their logo? I liked it the way it was. Love their Oatmeal porter.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:54 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,778,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Any guess why Highland changed their logo? I liked it the way it was. Love their Oatmeal porter.
Here’s a good article that goes into it https://mountainx.com/food/carolina-...logo-redesign/

Old 04-21-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Here’s a good article that goes into it https://mountainx.com/food/carolina-...logo-redesign/
Well crap! In other news, the Disney company has ditched Mickey, Donald and Goofy to “refresh” their brand language.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times
One of the things that's changed over time is how suburbia is developed. While this is more than just the last decade or two, the burbs of yesteryear were more custom and less about a single home builder or two spitting out hundreds of versions of just a few options.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:26 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,734,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
One of the things that's changed over time is how suburbia is developed. While this is more than just the last decade or two, the burbs of yesteryear were more custom and less about a single home builder or two spitting out hundreds of versions of just a few options.
I kind of wonder if the popularization of HOAs had something to do with cookie cutter developments being so prevalent now. Probably one of several factors anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary