Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 05:19 PM

129 posts, read 115,945 times

Advertisements

My kid applied to the online program and was accepted. As cool as the residential seems, I couldn’t bear losing him 2 years early even if it is close. He’s at a rigorous high school that doesn’t allow NCSSM during school day so would have to be 2 separate transcripts which is fine. He’s signed up for 4 AP’s next year his junior year, he’s not special, so many more like him with all A’s, great SAT and leadership, etc. This could be a little bit of a differentiator, maybe? The talent pool is so large at his school that it’s hard to stand out. I also hear the community and alumni of NCSSM are very engaged. Anyone’s child done online and can share their experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
What is NCSSM going to offer that his current school doesn't? Will he have time to handle the extra workload? Will it result in much repetition? What are his goals? Get into a more competitive school? More scholarship money? Overall love of learning?

My daughter is at a relatively competitive Western Wake high school. 2-4 APs seems to be about average per year amongst her peer group. For this semester (and next year) she's done dual enrollment with Wake Tech to get some non-AP college credits (but really to avoid waking up at 6AM each morning because she's working 15-20hrs per week and sleep is important for health).

Old 04-07-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
What is NCSSM going to offer that his current school doesn't? Will he have time to handle the extra workload? Will it result in much repetition? What are his goals? Get into a more competitive school? More scholarship money? Overall love of learning?

My daughter is at a relatively competitive Western Wake high school. 2-4 APs seems to be about average per year amongst her peer group. For this semester (and next year) she's done dual enrollment with Wake Tech to get some non-AP college credits (but really to avoid waking up at 6AM each morning because she's working 15-20hrs per week and sleep is important for health).
Main motivator is that his school is small and because he’s doubled up in science all years he is running out of classes to take. He loves school and isn’t even thinking about the college game if you will, just wants to challenge himself and has a deep love for learning. If I ask where he wants to attend, he’d say wherever is good for whatever I decide to study. He’s so laidback about it even though he’s a workhorse. It’s ideal to me, no ego involved with the college name, just highly motivated kid.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:50 AM

He accepted, they only had 4 days to decide. We came across a wonderful group of past and present families with some teachers on another format that has been a wealth of information. Happy to help anyone interested in applying in the future and can also point you to the group.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:11 PM

48 posts, read 42,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
He accepted, they only had 4 days to decide. We came across a wonderful group of past and present families with some teachers on another format that has been a wealth of information. Happy to help anyone interested in applying in the future and can also point you to the group.
Hi @art322, could you please share how we could access this group? My son loves ncssm and would love some guidance. Thank you.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:24 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
My kid applied to the online program and was accepted. As cool as the residential seems, I couldn’t bear losing him 2 years early even if it is close. He’s at a rigorous high school that doesn’t allow NCSSM during school day so would have to be 2 separate transcripts which is fine. He’s signed up for 4 AP’s next year his junior year, he’s not special, so many more like him with all A’s, great SAT and leadership, etc. This could be a little bit of a differentiator, maybe? The talent pool is so large at his school that it’s hard to stand out. I also hear the community and alumni of NCSSM are very engaged. Anyone’s child done online and can share their experience?
If he's at a rigorous high school, there's not much point. This program is meant to supplement students in less rigorous schools.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
If he's at a rigorous high school, there's not much point. This program is meant to supplement students in less rigorous schools.
How come? Doesn't NCSSM carry the name due to its rigorous entry requirements and classes tailored towards engineering and science?

Old 10-09-2023, 06:01 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osakafrog View Post
How come? Doesn't NCSSM carry the name due to its rigorous entry requirements and classes tailored towards engineering and science?
It does and it's an important resource for much of the state where students lack access.

Old 10-09-2023, 06:47 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,748,556 times
What public high schools are these that people are talking about where it's hard to stand out? Is this why some "prestigious" high schools in the area have gotten away with class rank? Like Cary Academy has no class rank.

I thought colleges didn't care about class rank anymore - all based on grades, test scores and the usual numbers.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
What public high schools are these that people are talking about where it's hard to stand out? Is this why some "prestigious" high schools in the area have gotten away with class rank? Like Cary Academy has no class rank.

I thought colleges didn't care about class rank anymore - all based on grades, test scores and the usual numbers.
I am sure as usual each college has its own quirks. NCSSM's mission says it all in its name and it really is an attractive offering for kids who love STEM related subjects.

As for college acceptance rates and criteria, I've seen so many garden varieties but yes solid HS performance is mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary