Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 02:32 PM

69 posts, read 62,510 times

Advertisements

I am getting ready to replace the HVAC unit and going through the paperwork I had from some years back when I replaced the first unit the company stated City of Raleigh required Electrical and Mechanical inspections within 10 days of the work complete.
Has anyone who have done HVAC replacement lately gone through this process? Wondering if it is still a requirement. I found a company who is a little less pricy for the work but they say they do not pull permits?
Can I request the permit through the city?
Anyone with answers if you could please post... Also hope this info may help others who are looking to do this in the future. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 02:38 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Find another company if you want permits and inspections.
Yes, they are required.
I have worked with people who will work without permits, or will pull permits, my choice. A contractor who just will not pull permits is a huge red flag.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:02 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
When a relative lived in Raleigh, they replaced the HVAC unit and didn't pull a permit.

I think the code states it is not necessary if the repairs are under 5000 dollars that don't require any upgrade to the system. A simple swap and go type install.

Of course, I'd bet the repairs are over that limit now anyway.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:09 PM

Permit is required for HVAC replacement.

"Replacements
(replacing existing with new)
water heater replacement
HVAC replacement
generators
driveways"

https://raleighnc.gov/permits-and-in...dential-permit

Old 04-15-2022, 03:39 PM

Thanks for this info. I personally would care less BUT since it it required I better get it then. Last thing I want is to have issues down the road during a sale. Even driveways require a permit? thats odd.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp555 View Post
Thanks for this info. I personally would care less BUT since it it required I better get it then. Last thing I want is to have issues down the road during a sale. Even driveways require a permit? thats odd.

Driveway to confirm you aren't expanding your impermeable surface beyond the maximum?
Or, because you are entering the street and the city wants to be sure their apron isn't busted up.

Old 04-15-2022, 04:55 PM

yea, saw that and said no way but I see the point. that link you sent out very useful. thank you.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
I am getting ready to replace the HVAC unit and going through the paperwork I had from some years back when I replaced the first unit the company stated City of Raleigh required Electrical and Mechanical inspections within 10 days of the work complete.
Has anyone who have done HVAC replacement lately gone through this process? Wondering if it is still a requirement. I found a company who is a little less pricy for the work but they say they do not pull permits?
Can I request the permit through the city?
Anyone with answers if you could please post... Also hope this info may help others who are looking to do this in the future. thanks
Our 27 year old (I thought that was a pretty good run) LP furnace died last November and we replaced it and the AC. This is out in Durham County. And here, yeah, the county had to come inspect it -probably similar to city of Raleigh inspecting them over there. The HVAC company (Progressive/ they did a great job) pulled the permits though and set up the county coming out. The county guy just called me for final scheduling. Your HVAC contractor should be able to set the inspection all up for you. With it having been in November (tis the season to start up that furnace for the first time) it took much longer than 10 days between final install and the final inspection--- like several weeks. Might take all of 10 days to get an inspector out there now-- as folks are turning on the AC for the first time soon. On edit, Progressive brought us several CO detectors -the kind you just plug into an outlet -- "Wall Warts" for the basement and our main level of the house. I think CO's are now required in the home with a new HVAC installed. So you all may need to get a few CO detectors- but again, our contractor provided them with the install. We finished our basement (county inspected / certificate of occupancy) several years back, so already were required to put in a wired CO / smoke detector in the basement and main level, but Progressive also provided plug in detectors anyhow.

Last edited by gball721; 04-16-2022 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-16-2022, 06:06 AM

Can I request the inspection and permit work or does the company/contractor has to do it? There is a big difference in cost of about 5k so I would have no issue with dealing with the paperwork to save a dollar here. Thank you

Old 04-16-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Can I request the inspection and permit work or does the company/contractor has to do it? There is a big difference in cost of about 5k so I would have no issue with dealing with the paperwork to save a dollar here. Thank you
There is no way permits and inspections run the cost up $5,000. No way.
Get more quotes, from reputable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary