Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:31 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this recent trend of taking true-crime documentaries and recreating them as dramatized "based on true story" series/feature films....just in the last 6 months they've done..

Inventing Anna
The Thing About Pam
The Girl from Plainville
Pam and Tommy

And now The Staircase.

Who is going to play the owl?
Same here.

Having said that, though not crime, I find The Food That Built America series really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 07:40 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,720,580 times
I've said it before: I was a close friend of Kathleen, and I knew Michael, and I've been in the staircase. Not a doubt in my mind that he did it. Hollywood isn't reality.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:07 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I've said it before: I was a close friend of Kathleen, and I knew Michael, and I've been in the staircase. Not a doubt in my mind that he did it. Hollywood isn't reality.
I have a feeling the overwhelming majority of people even vaguely familiar with the case (which at this point is probably most of the English-speaking world and probably more since Netflix has subtitles) would agree that they believe Michael did it. Even with the very obvious bias-towards-defense in The Staircase documentary itself.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:59 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,968,982 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have a feeling the overwhelming majority of people even vaguely familiar with the case (which at this point is probably most of the English-speaking world and probably more since Netflix has subtitles) would agree that they believe Michael did it. Even with the very obvious bias-towards-defense in The Staircase documentary itself.
I knew her as well, but never met him. However, knowing someone and/or believing that someone did it is a far cry from having evidence to prove it in a court of law. Given the circus surrounding the investigators, prosecutors, evidence (mis)handling, etc, I don't think there will ever be a definitive proof.

On the other hand, I have learned and seen a lot about owls in the last decade. We watched a pair of barred owls from our deck while they raised a new born. They really are amazing creatures. They can fly over a bed of feathers and barely disturb it. Their claws could certainly do a lot of damage to the human scalp, which is notorious for how much it bleeds.

I do feel for the family, having this repeatedly brought up in the media, and having to relive things over and over.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:44 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,720,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
a far cry from having evidence to prove it in a court of law.
Correct, as was the case with O.J. Simpson. The difference is that Peterson eventually entered an Alford plea to voluntary manslaughter, which makes him a Class D convicted felon. In this state, voluntary manslaughter means that he killed her with intent. Premeditation, basically, distinguishes murder from voluntary manslaughter. The pro-Peterson crowd will say that an Alford plea is not a guilty plea, and that's true -- except that the end-result is the same.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:46 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Correct, as was the case with O.J. Simpson. The difference is that Peterson eventually entered an Alford plea to voluntary manslaughter, which makes him a Class D convicted felon. In this state, voluntary manslaughter means that he killed her with intent. Premeditation, basically, distinguishes murder from voluntary manslaughter. The pro-Peterson crowd will say that an Alford plea is not a guilty plea, and that's true -- except that the end-result is the same.
Or as Kathleen's sister put it... "Alford-Schmalford!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary