Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2022, 07:09 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times

Advertisements

2-3 Years ago, I suggested to TPTB at TMLS that "Coming Soon" listings should accrue Days On Market, as they are being "marketed."
The incredible number of houses being sold "Sight Unseen" during "Coming Soon" appears to have prompted the TMLS Folks to adopt that rule.

Great news for consumers. Harder for agents who like to color outside the lines...

From the horses' mouths:

Dear Broker-in-Charge

This email will be sent to all Subscribers on Monday, May the 2nd.
On May 17th, Triangle MLS is making two significant changes to better protect the interest of Participants, Subscribers, and their clients.

Listing Entry Deadline:
Beginning May 17th, the deadline for entering a listing into the MLS will be one (1) calendar day. This is a change from the previous (1) business day.
With this rule change, Triangle MLS is addressing the situation where a new listing is being put on the market on a Friday but left off the MLS until the following Monday with only limited marketing in the form of a yard sign and social media posts. Triangle MLS believes this general practice is not in the best interests of Sellers, Buyers, and Brokers. Broad Market exposure and collaboration amongst brokers maximize the opportunity for offers with desirable terms.

Coming Soon Syndication and Days on Market:
Beginning May 17, Coming Soon listings will be added to all syndication feeds and not only IDX, as is the case today, giving Coming Soon listings the same exposure as Active listings. By including Coming Soon listings in all syndication feeds, the market exposure for listings will increase, putting the seller in a better position. For transparency and to better represent the number of days listings are being marketed for sale, Coming Soon listings will accrue Days on Market.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-29-2022 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 09:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,509,871 times
Still not enough changes with coming soon. Disappointed they didn't take it a step further and get rid of it altogether or require a specific active period after the coming soon period. It will still be abused with this new policy.

In fact I suspect with CS accruing DOM sellers/listing agents will be even more poised to sell sight-unseen quickly after listing CS.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Still not enough changes with coming soon. Disappointed they didn't take it a step further and get rid of it altogether or require a specific active period after the coming soon period. It will still be abused with this new policy.
The grifters ALWAYS come up with a work-around. It's what they do, relentlessly.
There is always a way to frustrate authority. (Heck, Tim Robbins broke out of Shawshank, right? )
I will never forget my pre-licensing instructor saying, "If someone tells you, 'Here's how I get around that...' you are being lured to the Dark Side."

Still, this is a major step for cheaters who thrive on "Sold in 0 Days."

Old 04-29-2022, 01:00 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,547,677 times
I read the thread title and initially thought that the Charlotte soccer team was being taken from Tepper and given to Raleigh ;-)

Old 04-29-2022, 01:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,509,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I read the thread title and initially thought that the Charlotte soccer team was being taken from Tepper and given to Raleigh ;-)
LOL...

Nope you're gonna have to settle for CASL.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:21 PM

312 posts, read 300,263 times
Sorry for being dumb, but how does this change anything for buyers? Are only certain parties allowed to buy a house in the coming soon period? I think coming soon should be banned altogether in a market like this.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Sorry for being dumb, but how does this change anything for buyers? Are only certain parties allowed to buy a house in the coming soon period? I think coming soon should be banned altogether in a market like this.
What has been more tightly regulated, as it stands now:
So, the agent gets a signed listing agreement on a Friday.
Has 2 weekend days and 1 business day to enter the listing into the MLS, by current rules. (Up to a couple of years ago, that 1 business day was 2 business days.) Alternatively, the agent and seller can agree on a "Delayed Marketing Date" at any point in the future, but the agent cannot spread the word in any way, no sign, no Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Slaps up a sign on Friday and spreads the word in limited fashion, via social media and to favored agents and/or coworkers. So, favored people get first crack.
An Offer comes in that looks pretty dang good. Seller bites on it.
Seller did not benefit from full exposure to the broad market, as many qualified buyers as possible. That was not done. Seller may have missed out on a superior offer. Buyers are exhausted, because too often the first time they see the listing on their IDX feed from their agent or their chosen syndicator, it is Under Contract. Buyers want a clearer perception of fairness.

Of course, Coming Soon should not be banned.
It is merely 30 days or less of public marketing prior to showing. Eliminating it would only drive the cheaters to expose the property even less to market, by talking it up privately, as was done in the past.
But, as I said, tightening up the standards for that status is long overdue.

Now, consumers have contributed to a bit of the current mess, looking for silly fast fast fast sales, and with hangups about the relevance of list price.
If agents suggest low prices, so all offers are over list price (which is totally irrelevant in the greater scheme of things) and the contract is done before the listing goes active, the agents can brag, "Sold in 0 Days." You can't beat that, and in too many minds, it is infinitely better than "Sold in 3 Days."
(Heck, I can remember agents bragging about "Sold in 50 days.)

3 or 4 years ago, I told one of the head staff in compliance at TMLS that DOM clock should start to tick as soon as the sign goes up.
And I described the 2 business days and weekend dynamic as outlined above. She said, "Well. At some point, you have to put a little hope for agents to act ethically."
We see how THAT worked out.

As Nick and I agree, we will always have cheaters and self-dealers. They will always connive how to "get around" any rules.
This just pulls in the margins of practices a bit tighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary