Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 07:00 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Pretty sure the legions of teenagers going to school in Durham will turn out just fine.

OP, just do some research into Durham. It is madness that people aren't suggesting it, especially given that our main problem right now is that people can't afford to buy here anymore because of a tech influx. You may or may not like it here but someone wanting to live in Chapel Hill or Carrboro would normally be at least a little curious about Durham.

Edited to also say: there are definitely families in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, though.
Why would people who don't live there suggest it? If people came at you for not suggesting Wake County you'd be scratching your head. Yes, you're right. The OP should do their research on Durham. ALL of Durham. Let's be honest if you are relocating and don't have a lot of time, you cannot drill down to neighborhoods - literally - to find where you want to live. Especially in the current housing market. It's not like you can live ANYWHERE in Durham. We considered Durham when we were moving but figuring out the EXACT spot to land and hoping a house became available was too daunting - period. You are also being disingenous by not mentioning you don't have children. For a lot of parents running the gauntlet of a crap school to turn out JUST FINE isn't really good enough. Having spent time at three high schools in Durham I'd say comparing them to WCPSS schools for the most part is a losing proposition. CH/Carrboro? forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 07:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Jhhere, I am the parent of an 18 year old and a 21 year old who have grown up here in Chapel Hill. How old are your kids and what kinds of things do they like to do? My 18 year old does love to spend a lot of time on Franklin Street hanging out with her friends. She likes to hit the bubble tea shops and the coffee shops. She will be going away to college in the fall and is just about done with hanging out with us parents. A lot of teens enjoy sports (not mine) or the neighborhood pools in the summer.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
I’ve found that “seeing kids around” varies more by neighborhood than city/town here.

I live in Cary, not far from twingles though in another neighborhood.

We have plenty of kids outdoors here. And adults. All ages, really.

We used to live in an entirely different neighborhood about 3 miles away and rarely saw anyone outdoors.

I think your best bet is to look here once schools are out and see how often you see people outdoors to judge which neighborhood vibes you prefer.

Pretty much any place mentioned here on the thread so far has no shortage of family-friendly neighborhoods and people who lean left politically.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 PM

Thank you RedZin!

Jhhere, I should have mentioned Weaver Street Market. It’s a great place for families and teens. Everybody loves to hang out on the lawn and have a nibble and chat, maybe listen to some music, or dance. I do see roving bands of teens getting their kombucha and Locopops on there.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times
I lived in chapel hill for 6 years, 4 of them as a student. I believe that down-town chapel hill still revolves around the university/students/faculty. But I have 2 old friends (unc faculty members) who raised their families in southern village and still reside there. Below is an old cd post that you may find helpful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...apel-hill.html

this is an older link from 2021 but maybe it will help you.

https://www.movebuddha.com/blog/movi...hapel-hill-nc/

As for Durham, I haven't spent a lot of time there but I have no doubts that certain parts of Durham are vibrant and a good place to relocate to; but any search you do on google may alert you that you may need to be more careful on where in Durham you land.

I don't have children, but if I did, based upon any knowledge I have gleamed from living in Raleigh for the past +30 years (and Apex for 2 years) I would say that Apex, Cary, and many parts of Raleigh are ideal for raising families.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-06-2022, 08:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Have been given permission to post this: OP, check out SoDu Parents Posse on Facebook, if you're on Facebook. I'm not trying to steer you to Durham at all, but my sense from your post is that if not for school information you'd probably consider it. The group is very large and all about raising kids there. They can probably give you advice about other areas as well. It's worth joining, they are very active in the area.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:01 PM

52 posts, read 41,164 times
Cary is the place for you.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
We don’t have budget from the OP. Where I live in Cary is insane and I cannot believe the sales prices of homes. Houses in my neighborhood are selling for more than we sold for in NY and I never in a million years thought we’d see that here.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:51 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
........our main problem right now is that people can't afford to buy here anymore because of a tech influx. You may or may not like it here but someone wanting to live in Chapel Hill or Carrboro would normally be at least a little curious about Durham......
A note for the folks moving in: Some Chapel Hill addresses are actually in Durham County. So, check the schools where the house is located. The elementary and middle schools may be fine, but as the kids approach high school, you may want to consider moving or using private schools.

(BTW, my relatives in the CH part of Durham County have had a $200K escalation in the Zestimate of their house in the past 2 years, and it is only a 3 Br house. It is desirable because it is close to UNC facilities.)

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-07-2022 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-07-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhhere View Post
we believed that the Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be the best fit for a family based on online research. ("great schools, wonderful place to raise a family") We have two teens. In trying to decide, we visited CH for a week.

While the community was super friendly, we hardly saw any families. We saw plenty of students and seniors, but even after trying to search them out through neighborhoods and parks, it was pretty devoid of groups of families. Again, at all the restaurants we went to, students and seniors. What did we miss?
Which week did you visit? Might've been a school holiday?

The high school teens blend in with the college kids pretty well. My daughter was asked by a UNC student if she went to UNC when she was in 9th grade. She had to gulp and stammer, "no, I'm in high school."

For family activities together I would say things like hiking, biking, maybe some rec soccer are pretty big here. What sorts of activities do you do as a family where you are now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary