Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 05:11 PM

81 posts, read 82,799 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Approaching 65 soon. Would like to be closer to my sister in Chicago as I get older. My wife and I would be purchasing a home in the Durham/Raleigh area to hand down to our boys. I've read that NC gives property tax breaks to seniors 65 and older. Am I correct about this exemption? I'll still be working part time but my income will drastically drop.

BTW, where I'm living now (CA), half my SS (at 67) would go to property taxes so this is kind of an important decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 05:22 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,003,237 times
If your gross household income is under $31,900, you can get up to a 50% reduction on your home value for property tax purposes.

https://www.wakegov.com/departments-...perty-tax-bill

The problem is affording a house in the first place on an income that low.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:23 PM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
I'll be real interested to hear the answer to this because I know fo' sho' my parents are not getting a tax break, nor is my BIL who is 72.

ETA well that explains that SFspiderman. But I'm guessing someone from CA pays cash for a house here.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:52 PM

Well, thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, I've lived in CA for a while now and I have a lot of equity in my home. I wouldn't be requiring a mortgage at my age (62). I've spent a lot of years working on my current one! That's good news SF, thanks.

One more thing... is hurricane insurance mandatory in NC counties? I've read that can be a lot of money.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,862,989 times
Although closer than California, Chicago isn’t all that close to Raleigh. Do your boys live here now?

Old 05-15-2022, 06:20 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,003,237 times
Separate hurricane insurance is not required in the Triangle...your regular policy should cover wind damage. Only in coastal counties would you potentially face additional wind/flood insurance needs.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Although closer than California, Chicago isn’t all that close to Raleigh. Do your boys live here now?
Hi.. no, our boys (22 and 27) live with us. Chicago is about an 1 1/2 hr plane ride from Raleigh. Much better than 3 1/2 hrs with a 1 hour stop in Denver

Old 05-15-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Separate hurricane insurance is not required in the Triangle...your regular policy should cover wind damage. Only in coastal counties would you potentially face additional wind/flood insurance needs.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,862,989 times
I moved here from California 2 years ago and love it, the people here make this a very special place. You might want to look into Cary as well, although seems you’re looking for more of an urban area? This whole area is pretty much suburban.

Last edited by loveautumn; 05-15-2022 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I moved here from California 2 years ago and love it, the people here make this a very special place. You might want to look into Cary as well, although seems you’re looking for more of an urban area? This whole area is pretty much suburban.
Thanks for that. Glad to hear you're happy there. I'm originally from the Midwest and I know the vibe you're talking about. Unfortunately the rest of my family hasn't experienced it much. Our sons (especially my oldest) have never really connected well with people here in CA. Still very fast paced and competitive among their age group.

Not set on anywhere really. Our ideal community would probably be somewhere within 10-15 minutes of the Triangle, giving them access to the larger cities while still remaining far enough away for my wife and I to enjoy a little less congestion that we're now accustomed to here. At our age, we're not looking for perfection. We'd just like to provide them with more opportunities and positive experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary