Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 07:01 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
He might be able to find a home in SE Raleigh. It isn't exactly what most people think of when they say ITB, even if it is technically inside the beltline. Prices are rising in the area as gentrification sets in, but for now I would check crime maps when looking there.
ITB definitions aside since that could be it's own thread, the poster you originally responded to mentioned "close to downtown," and I think that still might be possible for $450k. Everyone has their own comfort levels, but I'd feel comfortable living in the area I mentioned. I had a family member who had a house there, and I recently looked pretty hard at buying there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 07:12 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
One thing to consider with a place like Brier Creek that's in the middle of everything is that it's not particularly close to anything. Living there does sort of equalize the drive to places like central Raleigh and to Durham, which could be great for folks who spend a lot of time in both places. But it also means having a bit of a haul to get anywhere which can get old, especially for those that spend most of their time in one area.
I would rx it more of a jumping off point to get to know the area if he rents. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a place to buy.

My niece is renting in an area of downtown Raleigh that is gentrifying and got some pretty cheap rent because of it (with a few friends).

Old 05-23-2022, 08:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
If you're applying critical thinking to the original post, when combined with what I know of the greater Triangle, it's obvious to me that you should be focusing somewhat exclusively in Cary. And to be very specific, I'd drill in on old school Cary, closer to downtown, using Harrison Avenue and Chatham Street as a center point.

You can find a reasonable number of older homes in your price range, you'd be embedded within a community that offers all that you're asking for and it's very convenient to where the new data center is, as well as convenient to RTP proper, assuming that a job change might one day be in the cards.

Sure, you can go crazy moving to the outer regions and that might work for you, but what I've found in my fifteen years living here is that where there's very active construction, insanely frustrating traffic usually follows (it just doesn't seem to often be factored into the layout). The safeguard in the area I'm suggesting is that net new construction is limited, there just isn't an abundance of undeveloped land and so the traffic is predictable and somewhat manageable.

But the standard play in your situation remains unchanged since I first started planning my move here back in 2006, visit often and explore it for yourself. Only you know ultimately what works for you, so take the area out for a test drive and see what, if anything, feels right. And should you actually make the move, you'll feel like you're back up in the Northeast because there are so many of us living down here.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:08 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If you're applying critical thinking to the original post, when combined with what I know of the greater Triangle, it's obvious to me that you should be focusing somewhat exclusively in Cary. And to be very specific, I'd drill in on old school Cary, closer to downtown, using Harrison Avenue and Chatham Street as a center point.

You can find a reasonable number of older homes in your price range, you'd be embedded within a community that offers all that you're asking for and it's very convenient to where the new data center is, as well as convenient to RTP proper, assuming that a job change might one day be in the cards.

Sure, you can go crazy moving to the outer regions and that might work for you, but what I've found in my fifteen years living here is that where there's very active construction, insanely frustrating traffic usually follows (it just doesn't seem to often be factored into the layout). The safeguard in the area I'm suggesting is that net new construction is limited, there just isn't an abundance of undeveloped land and so the traffic is predictable and somewhat manageable.

But the standard play in your situation remains unchanged since I first started planning my move here back in 2006, visit often and explore it for yourself. Only you know ultimately what works for you, so take the area out for a test drive and see what, if anything, feels right. And should you actually make the move, you'll feel like you're back up in the Northeast because there are so many of us living down here.
He better be ready to jump if he finds something for $450K in downtown Cary, especially if he doesn't want to do any upgrading.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:31 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Sorry to bore everyone with another potential relocation thread but I have a unique opportunity presenting itself to me. So, long story stort, I grew up in the Buffalo NY region and then moved out to the Denver metro area about 10+yrs ago. I initially enjoyed the area but I'm a bit over it for an array of reasons: tired of constant wildfire concerns, sick of just dry/dead/brown areas everywhere, super long distance to visit family (nearly all my family resides in the NE region) and honestly, I find the people out here to just not be very welcoming (dont get me wrong, I have a good group of friends but its just an odd vibe with trying to meet other people).

Anywho, back to the topic. I work in the IT field and have worked remote for the last 2+yrs. During that time my company was bought out and then merged with another IT company that is based in Raleigh. So while my job is remote, my company could use the extra set of hands within that area to help with datacenter work due to an upcoming migration project. My boss that lives out that way continues to "pester" me to come out for a visit and see if I would consider the move.

Funny thing, I was initially going to move to Raleigh 10+yrs ago but I was offered a job in Denver so I came out this way due to some more "guaranteed" stability.

Im planning on doing a work trip out there in June for about 5 days to obviously do some work items but also explore some areas. I want to do another trip later summer where, if my initial trip goes smooth, I can then just focus on the relocation part.

Simple quick facts about myself. I'm in my mid 30s and honestly, I really just enjoy having my dogs around. Sounds boring but they go with me everywhere which is one thing I really like about Denver and how dog friendly it is. I live in a suburb southwest of Denver where im about a 10min ride into the an area called Littleton CO which has about 5-8 bars/restaurant combos which is perfect for me. If I want to travel up to Denver (I never really care to but its a nice option) it is about 40mins. All of these things are perfectly fine for me. For a home, I am trying to keep the budget under 450k (I got on the real estate train out here in CO about 8yrs ago so I will have a good amount off the sale of my home here).

My boss has mentioned places like Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Garner and Knightdale. My realtor I have chatted with has mentioned more North Raleigh since I enjoy the brewery, bar and restaurant scenes and that there are an abundance of parks as well that I can take my dogs to. Im not really concerned with traffic since 99% of my job would be work from home and with how awful Denver traffic is, I think I can managed what Raleigh has.

With that said, is there any recommendation on where a good focus point may be?
I planned on traveling to each of these locations while I am out for work but since it might be a shorter trip, I really dont want to waste time in an area that may be more of like a retirement area compared to a more "young professional" area? I've read some reviews that Fuquay Varina is beautiful but it lacks any type of "nightlife" or just overall activity for a younger single individual. Not sure how true that is because while I researched the area, there seems to be a good array of options for food/drinks/parks.

I appreciate any and all of your feedback! Thanks!
Near Central Cary would be great, if you can find it in your budget. I live in South Cary.
Breweries- Check
Walkable - Check
Many dog-friendly businesses - Check
Nightlife: Not too much, but only 20 minutes from DTR, including train and Uber/Lyft options.

Parks: Umstead, Bond, Lake Crabtree. Many miles of greenways, and many small neighborhood parks.
Also very near many hiking/biking trails to take your well behaved puppers on. (Cary)

I don't know N. Raleigh that well, but I'd imagine up near Durant and Falls Road would be a good location. Guessing.

Last edited by Myghost; 05-23-2022 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-23-2022, 03:19 PM

376 posts, read 653,429 times
I live about Falls and Durant. It is more family-centric and not really walkable at all- those are the downsides.

Upsides are yes, breweries like Compass Rose and bars such as Hoppy Endings, the Hop Yard, etc. And all are dog-friendly. Durant Nature Park and Wilkerson Nature Preserve, Falls Lake all super close. Even Umstead isn't that far.

No nightlife but it's a 15 to 20 minutes, $15 one way Uber ride.

Echoing what others say, 450K ITB is going to be tough- but is that the idea location? Well, yes. That's why the rent there and get to know the area is probably good. I have a friend renting there now who knows eventually when he wants to buy, there is just no way on his one income.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:22 PM

156 posts, read 325,731 times
Thanks everyone! I think I got some good ideas where I want to do some initial focusing which will be from north Raleigh west towards, and including, Durham. Time permitting on the first trip I may explore some of the other options. While I said my budget is 450k, I think I can probably swing upwards to 500k but preferably, would like to keep it lower. I see a lot more options towards Durham, including some new builds which may work (need to look up some of the contractors and whatnot). As of now, im planning on coming out in mid June for work/initial trip.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:26 AM

156 posts, read 325,731 times
I hate reviving old threads but I also hate not updating those who helped me with some updates:

Just spent about 4-5 days out in NC - met the coworkers at my secondary company as well as the datacenter they are currently at and the one they will be relocating to. The migration process will likely take 2wks max (didnt realize the minimal amount of assets they had) so the traffic/commute concern I had was thrown out the window there since outside of that, I'll be 100% remote.

And honestly, speaking of traffic, I experienced 0 issues with traffic and I drove through Durham, Cary, Apex, downtown Raleigh, Knightdale, Rolesville, Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina. The traffic is a breeze compared to what I deal with in Denver on a day to day basis. I purposely left my hotel in Durham during rush hour times to drive to places like Raleigh, Fuquay and Knightdale and never once had issues. But with any city, I'm sure there are going to be good and bad days. Once again though, traffic wont be a factor in my job so when I travel, I can travel based upon current traffic conditions. If I had to do a blood pressure comparison of the traffic from 1-10, Id give Denver a 10 and Raleigh a 2, lol.

Long story short, I honestly was not seeing much that peaked my interest in NC until I got into Apex and Fuquay-Varina. Apex seems like it will be out of my budget most likely so I have settled on Fuquay-Varina. I spent 1.5 days down that way and had a blast. The amount of home for the price goes a long way and I spent a few days researching all the new establishments coming up. Additionally, I did the drive up into Raleigh and back and had no issues (even drove to Durham, it was long but I wouldn't be going to Durham continuously). I also checked out the LYFT prices between FV and Raleigh and I was being quoted sub $30 each way. That type of drive from my suburb in CO to Denver typically costs around $50 each way.

Additionally, I had some of my Buffalo Bills gear on and met a BUNCH of people in their 30s in FV who chatted with me and invited me to a few bars in FV, Holly Springs or Apex for the upcoming football season. So that was a great comfort there.

Yes, its a bit more on the family side it seems like but with what is coming into town and the growth, I'm looking at both current and future and I think FV will ultimately give me what I am wanting. Plus, by the time I am looking for a new job, that 540 loop should be fully completed and give me some more road options.

So, ultimately, thank you to everyone for the recommendations! You were all as great as the people I met in NC, it truly felt like home. I never once got a response of "We are full, dont come here" but instead always got useful information such as what was in town, how far things were, certain events to try out, etc. None of which you would now get in the State of Colorado. As of now, the plan is to be moved to FV by September!

Old 07-05-2022, 09:37 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Sounds like you are coming in with a great mindset, priorities, and focus...welcome to NC!

Old 07-05-2022, 07:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
There’s a couple from Buffalo (or maybe it was Rochester) who have a food truck in Apex with authentic Buffalo food! They are die hard Bills fans and will be able to tell you where to hook up with other like minded folks. Check it out, you’ll have fun! There are a lot of people from Buffalo (and Pittsburgh) that live here. When football season arrives you’ll see jerseys from e everywhere.

Last edited by loveautumn; 07-05-2022 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Add comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary