Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:19 AM

289 posts, read 256,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Funeral home is ok? Dead bodies carted in and out of your hood? Burning animal corpses?
Personal Service (with the exception of Animal Care (outdoor); Dry-cleaning;
Funeral home, funeral parlor, mortuary, undertaking establishment,
crematorium, pet crematorium; and Wedding chapel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:47 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,984,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Personal Service (with the exception of Animal Care (outdoor); Dry-cleaning;
Funeral home, funeral parlor, mortuary, undertaking establishment,
crematorium, pet crematorium; and Wedding chapel)
Oh ok I was more confused by the formatting and parens

Old 05-31-2022, 12:48 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,984,407 times
So bingo parlor and auto mechanic is allowed?

Honestly if personal service ranges from animal husbandry to crematorium seems like anything is on the table lol

Old 05-31-2022, 02:50 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times
Some of your responses tell me that people don't comprehend some things that are presented to them.

I guess the mayor and some council members depend on that.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times
You (ITB_OG) are the only one telling the truth or the only one who actually read the info at the links.

The ordinance will benefit the mayor and her council friends' top campaign donors. Developers will build the Accessory Commercial Units (small buildings in the yards of current homes).

The mayor and her council friends have proven they are extremely pro-developer and extremely anti-resident since the very beginning. It's an election year, so apparently, they feel they have to ramp it up.

I have attended (in person or virtually) each and every city council meeting since February 4, 2020. So I have seen how they continiually support actions that enrich real estate developers and related industries (such as construction) and how they ignore residents.

Even the governor has criticized her for her anti-resident actions -- and I'm not sure if ANY governor has criticized a Raleigh mayor like that EVER. (And they personally belong to the same political party.)

It's been amazing to see what the mayor and council have gotten away with. Everyone needs to pay closer attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
In theory, I think the concept of this type of ordinance seems like a great idea. But there's something about this one that just doesn't sit right with me.

It doesn't sound like these types of businesses are going to lead to more walkable neighborhoods or are going to contribute to the livability of neighborhoods. The ordinance seems like it's designed to benefit business owners and not the neighborhood or the community.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 11,590 times
Would you rather more urban sprawl and traffic?

Google "The Lively & Liveable Neighbourhoods that are Illegal in Most of North America"

Not saying the amendment is perfect, but it seems to be a step in the right direction

Old 05-31-2022, 04:06 PM

934 posts, read 763,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Some of your responses tell me that people don't comprehend some things that are presented to them.
Thats funny; I thought the same thing I read your original post.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:17 PM

30,331 posts, read 23,808,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
I looked over the Text Change TC-12-21 PDF lovebrentwood listed, and am puzzled by some of the allowed uses with the limitation of 5 customers at any one time:

* Dance, martial arts, music studio or classroom
* Sports academy

Other, to me, surprising allowed uses are for dry cleaning, funeral home, funeral parlor, mortuary, undertaking establishment, crematorium, or pet crematorium.

DPK, a corner grocer or the like is not on the allowed type list.
Re: The bolded. I think those who think this is a great idea live in some relatively quiet areas. Where I am at now, thankfully there is no room to build anything due to the lake being owned by the city, and it's right on our door step.

However, this place has been here for 30 years, so I am not sure which came first: This place, or the pool that is right by the complex. This complex has 3 lanes. When I moved here, I was living on the lane closest to the main road. My back porch was located not even 30 meters away from a corner of a pool used by many from the area. It's not a public pool, it's for sports.

At first, we had a lot of tall trees and brush that obscured that view, which was nice. Then, a developer decided to buy the small area of land available between the lake, us, and the pool, and built town homes. That's why we lost all of our tall trees.

So, it's crowded out your back porch area if you live on that lane.

Here's what I endured my first year here:

Everyone was locked down the first month I was here, the trees were still up, all was wonderful. In April 2020, they came in and destroyed all of the tall trees that were blocking the view of the pool and the main road. They cleared out the brush. I had a straight line view to the pool - as in, I could see people swimming in it if they were there. Then, the construction of the town homes began.

By May, the pool opened back up, and all the kids started coming in. They started at 5am, and they didn't stop until 9:30pm, except for Sundays.

During the day, construction noise for the town homes, and screaming and loud music, plus the guy with his damned bullhorn starting at 5:00am, all the way until 9:30pm. All. Day. Long. Being inside with everything closed up did not prevent the noise from the pool coming in.

I finally looked up Wake County "shut up!" hours, as I call them, and discovered that you're not allowed to make that kind of racket until 7am. I had to be that person. I had to call the cops. I had to call multiple times until Mr. Bullhorn finally got his final warning. The cop called me up and listened to what we all had to endure, and he told me what was going to happen if Mr. Bullhorn didn't stop coming in at 5am. So, eventually, I gained our entire area an extra 2 hours of peace. (Found out later, every neighbor was sick of it, but only 1 even tried to do anything - he just confronted Mr. Bullhorn several times. I did what I could legally do, and we got 2 hours of our morning back to sleep!)

But, that's all we can do. If Mr. Bullhorn wants to shout through that stupid thing all day from 7am to 9:30pm, he's legally allowed to do it.

And it's annoying. You can't escape the racket. The support pillars at the pool are cement, so every noise bounces off of that cement and is amplified. Screaming kids, and Mr. Bullhorn belching out words to the various groups of kids who come and go throughout the day for their swim team, for their lessons, etc.

All. Day. Long.

Last May, I got a different apartment in the same complex, about as far away from the pool as I could get. I finally have peace, but those who still live on that lane by the pool still have to endure it, as do those who just bought their town homes that were finished last year. They are even closer to the pool than I was. And I was practically in the pool where I was.

I would be ticked if I paid 'starting at $300k' for a town home just to have that outside my home every day.

You may think you want that noise, but I'm going to bet you're not going to like it after awhile, because it doesn't stop. All. Day. Every day. Sun up to sun down. Even on your days off when you just wanted to stay home and relax. Nope. No relaxing with all that racket.

Good luck those who 'support' this - be very sure that's what you want.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:50 PM

934 posts, read 763,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Re: The bolded. I think those who think this is a great idea live in some relatively quiet areas. Where I am at now, thankfully there is no room to build anything due to the lake being owned by the city, and it's right on our door step.

However, this place has been here for 30 years, so I am not sure which came first: This place, or the pool that is right by the complex. This complex has 3 lanes. When I moved here, I was living on the lane closest to the main road. My back porch was located not even 30 meters away from a corner of a pool used by many from the area. It's not a public pool, it's for sports.

At first, we had a lot of tall trees and brush that obscured that view, which was nice. Then, a developer decided to buy the small area of land available between the lake, us, and the pool, and built town homes. That's why we lost all of our tall trees.

So, it's crowded out your back porch area if you live on that lane.

Here's what I endured my first year here:

Everyone was locked down the first month I was here, the trees were still up, all was wonderful. In April 2020, they came in and destroyed all of the tall trees that were blocking the view of the pool and the main road. They cleared out the brush. I had a straight line view to the pool - as in, I could see people swimming in it if they were there. Then, the construction of the town homes began.

By May, the pool opened back up, and all the kids started coming in. They started at 5am, and they didn't stop until 9:30pm, except for Sundays.

During the day, construction noise for the town homes, and screaming and loud music, plus the guy with his damned bullhorn starting at 5:00am, all the way until 9:30pm. All. Day. Long. Being inside with everything closed up did not prevent the noise from the pool coming in.

I finally looked up Wake County "shut up!" hours, as I call them, and discovered that you're not allowed to make that kind of racket until 7am. I had to be that person. I had to call the cops. I had to call multiple times until Mr. Bullhorn finally got his final warning. The cop called me up and listened to what we all had to endure, and he told me what was going to happen if Mr. Bullhorn didn't stop coming in at 5am. So, eventually, I gained our entire area an extra 2 hours of peace. (Found out later, every neighbor was sick of it, but only 1 even tried to do anything - he just confronted Mr. Bullhorn several times. I did what I could legally do, and we got 2 hours of our morning back to sleep!)

But, that's all we can do. If Mr. Bullhorn wants to shout through that stupid thing all day from 7am to 9:30pm, he's legally allowed to do it.

And it's annoying. You can't escape the racket. The support pillars at the pool are cement, so every noise bounces off of that cement and is amplified. Screaming kids, and Mr. Bullhorn belching out words to the various groups of kids who come and go throughout the day for their swim team, for their lessons, etc.

All. Day. Long.

Last May, I got a different apartment in the same complex, about as far away from the pool as I could get. I finally have peace, but those who still live on that lane by the pool still have to endure it, as do those who just bought their town homes that were finished last year. They are even closer to the pool than I was. And I was practically in the pool where I was.

I would be ticked if I paid 'starting at $300k' for a town home just to have that outside my home every day.

You may think you want that noise, but I'm going to bet you're not going to like it after awhile, because it doesn't stop. All. Day. Every day. Sun up to sun down. Even on your days off when you just wanted to stay home and relax. Nope. No relaxing with all that racket.

Good luck those who 'support' this - be very sure that's what you want.
Can anyone explain what this means, or at least explain how this relates to the thread topic?

Old 05-31-2022, 06:43 PM

1,339 posts, read 729,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by section351 View Post
Would you rather more urban sprawl and traffic?

Google "The Lively & Liveable Neighbourhoods that are Illegal in Most of North America"

Not saying the amendment is perfect, but it seems to be a step in the right direction
That’s a false dichotomy though. It’s not a choice between this ordinance or more urban sprawl and traffic.

I agree the proposed ordinance is not perfect though which is why I think it’d be best to hold off for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary