Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 12:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 729,766 times

Advertisements

Even with a limit on the amount of customers at one time, I'm not having a hard time at all imagining how having a business next door, including manufacturing and repair, that's open to the public with up to two non-resident employees operating up to seven days a week from 7am to 7pm might be potentially problematic for some people, especially those in tight neighborhoods.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 06-02-2022 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: too long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 12:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,313,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I don't know why noise would have even been in there in the first place. There are separate noise ordinances that aren't part of the UDO, with residential areas having the lowest limits.

Much of this stuff was already allowed anyway, but it only addressed happening within a single residential structure. Now you can have it in an ADU on the property.
You make a good point. I know not a lot of people are familiar with the UDO, but it is a HUGE document and various sections apply, not just this one section being proposed for revision.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:18 PM

30,339 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Maybe try learning to write at something more than a third grade level. As pointed out, the ordinance restricts all uses to indoors, in single family residential zoning. If you are talking about a pool at an apartment complex, there is no equivalency.
Maybe try AGAIN.

Here's what I quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
I looked over the Text Change TC-12-21 PDF lovebrentwood listed, and am puzzled by some of the allowed uses with the limitation of 5 customers at any one time:

* Dance, martial arts, music studio or classroom
* Sports academy

Other, to me, surprising allowed uses are for dry cleaning, funeral home, funeral parlor, mortuary, undertaking establishment, crematorium, or pet crematorium.

DPK, a corner grocer or the like is not on the allowed type list.
Guess what? That includes pools. The pool is NOT an outside pool.

Any other ridiculous questions, or have you figured it out yet?

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-02-2022 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2022, 10:07 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Sign me up for a pool that only allows 5 people in at any one time

Old 06-02-2022, 10:27 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,003,237 times
I'd bet money we're talking about RSA's facility on Jones Franklin. That's a major aquatic complex with three pools. They are covered with permanent roofs, but are otherwise open air much of the year. (The sides can be wrapped in winter to trap some heat.) So for all intents and purposes, they are outdoor pools that serve hundreds of users. And yes, the complex predates anything around it...it's been there since the early '70s.

In no way does it resemble an indoor, conditioned space with a maximum of five customers, located in a residential neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:31 AM

935 posts, read 764,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Maybe try AGAIN.

Here's what I quoted:

Guess what? That includes pools. The pool is NOT an outside pool.

Any other ridiculous questions, or have you figured it out yet?
You're the ridiculous one in this discussion.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 729,766 times
Yeah, this doesn't allow anything even approaching something like an aquatics center, so no worries there. But it will allow for a freestanding (not in the home but rather an ADU) sports academy, martial arts studio, dance studio, or music studio that can run 7am to 7pm seven days a week. I think originally they were proposing 6am to 11pm so at least that's an improvement.

I think allowing businesses in residential areas to run out of ADU's changes the nature of them since they're in a separate space and likely a larger space than what most people would have in their home. I don't know what the setbacks technically are, but ADU's also seem to be quite close to neighboring property. And most people coming to these businesses will likely be driving since it's unlikely there'd be enough customers within the neighborhood to support them which may create or add to parking problems.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:47 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I'd bet money we're talking about RSA's facility on Jones Franklin. That's a major aquatic complex with three pools. They are covered with permanent roofs, but are otherwise open air much of the year. (The sides can be wrapped in winter to trap some heat.) So for all intents and purposes, they are outdoor pools that serve hundreds of users. And yes, the complex predates anything around it...it's been there since the early '70s.

In no way does it resemble an indoor, conditioned space with a maximum of five customers, located in a residential neighborhood.
I work next door and Jones Franklin is definitely not a residential street anyways. We know renters in apartments don't have rights in this city also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary