Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 03:07 PM

740 posts, read 473,143 times

Advertisements

My 85 year old Dad has been living in a very nice ALF since March of this year. My siblings and I moved him there with his agreement. Now, he is making vehement noises about wanting to leave the ALF (the people there are too old and he is tired of the 'benevolent prison') and move back to his townhouse. He is well able to afford the ALF, but if he makes the decision to move back to his home (and we cannot stop him), then his assets will drain much more quickly b/c he would need a companion for most of the day, cooking services, cleaning services, driving him around etc.

Worst case scenario we are thinking of a reverse mortgage on his home to free up more capital.

Rather than looking online and submitting info to be contacted by this and that company, which I've actually started doing today, does anyone have any recommendations on a reverse mortgage broker to contact preferably in Raleigh that we can meet with to discuss the ins and outs of his situation? We would like to be prepared with 'next-step' solutions should he call us and announce he has taken an uber to his home and plans to stay there, with or without our help. And he needs help.

He is a sweet man, but Utterly Stubborn and fully capable of springing such a scenario upon us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 07:22 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
Worst case scenario we are thinking of a reverse mortgage on his home to free up more capital.
A Reverse Mortgage should truly be saved until there are no other options. The fees and other gotchas eat up a lot of the principal.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:34 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I agree with Don, but.... Check your DMs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary