Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Did they visit Houston? Or just crunch numbers in a corner office?
This website explains their criteria, which is mostly just a numbers crunch: Criteria for Our Best Cities Picks - Kiplinger.com

Quote:
The metro areas were all chosen because they have a strong creative class, including scientists, engineers, architects, educators, writers, artists and entertainers.
Quote:
Other common criteria include job growth, per-capita income growth and measures of innovation, such as patents per capita. Key considerations are tolerance and diversity -- great indicators that outsiders are welcome.
Quote:
A city's affordability was another critical factor.
Things like traffic and infrastructure were apparently not considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
When I moved here nearly 20 years ago it was rated #1. I could not believe all the construction when I arrived and it has never stopped. The area just keeps getting bigger and bigger. We've been on these lists before and each time it brings lots of attention and lots of new residents. Hopefully more businesses will continue to move here so available jobs can keep up with it. Unfortunately the highway and transit systems don't seem to catch up/improve enough for the growth. Maybe one day.... Although you can't beat a free bus system like Chapel Hill has, especially these days with the price of gas!

Last edited by hula; 05-25-2008 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Houston beat Raleigh?

Did they visit Houston? Or just crunch numbers in a corner office?

Surely they must mean a (far) outlying area of Houston, waaaaaaay beyond the traffic nightmares!
Kiplinger is interested in how the cities will benefit your wallet. Houston is all about oil and that is making a lot of people rich lately.

That said, I have lived in Houston and couldn't get out of there soon enough.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
If the ranking for Houston being #1 seems unrealistic enough that it is simply a "number crunch" and shouldn't be taken seriously...does that not mean that Raleigh's ranking should be regarded the same way?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
When I moved here nearly 20 years ago it was rated #1. I could not believe all the construction when I arrived and it has never stopped. The area just keeps getting bigger and bigger. We've been on these lists before and each time it brings lots of attention and lots of new residents. Hopefully more businesses will continue to move here so available jobs can keep up with it. Unfortunately the highway and transit systems don't seem to catch up/improve enough for the growth. Maybe one day.... Although you can't beat a free bus system like Chapel Hill has, especially these days with the price of gas!
Exactly what I've been saying...we have been rated #1 and have kept growing in the 30 years that I've been living here!!!

However, I did decide quite a few years ago that we need to now only allow the NICE PEOPLE to move here!!! I'll happily administer the test, myself!!!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Funny, Vicki!! The growth has definitely come with some ups and downs, but overall I'd say it's been a good thing. Now if we could only get more Chicago style foods (particularly beef sandwiches) like are springing up in Greensboro, Winston, and Charlotte I'd be happy as can be! (hint, hint!!)

Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Surely they must mean a (far) outlying area of Houston, waaaaaaay beyond the traffic nightmares!
But the outlying areas, out in subdivision/connector road hell, is where all the traffic really is here.

Have you been here?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Funny, Vicki!! The growth has definitely come with some ups and downs, but overall I'd say it's been a good thing. Now if we could only get more Chicago style foods (particularly beef sandwiches) like are springing up in Greensboro, Winston, and Charlotte I'd be happy as can be! (hint, hint!!)

Now, THAT is what I like...yummy stuff from other states. Hula, its your job when you move here to bring some of that yummy stuff and then its your job to search out restaurants in the area to find someone that will learn to cook it too!

Many thanks to my wonderful NY client/friend that brought me Drake Devil Dogs!!!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
That's for sure. By the way, I my craving for a chicago italian beef sandwich was so uncontrollable last weekend that I ended up making it myself. Did the trick!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
That's for sure. By the way, I my craving for a chicago italian beef sandwich was so uncontrollable last weekend that I ended up making it myself. Did the trick!
We've expanded our repertoire of things that we can cook because of things that we can't get here that we crave. I'm proud to say that hubby and I make the best hard crusted bread of on any that I've eatten in NC. While it's frustrating not being able to just dash out for some of this stuff it's satisfying learning to do it on my own. Now if I could just master the fish taco sauce I'd be set. I haven't quite got it down yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary