Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 14,252 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a new HVAC system and got a quote from M&S for a Carrier system that includes a 10-year labor warranty where supposedly they'll fix any issue (other than act of God) for free.

Too good to be true? Anyone else have info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 03:28 PM

43,270 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Do you have any quotes from competitors?

One way to offer a very long warranty is to charge a very high price for the unit.

Old 07-19-2022, 03:31 PM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
Read the fine print. Are you required to subscribe to a regular maintenance service contract? That can be pricey. And does that include parts?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:53 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,746,709 times
York HVAC has that from Air Innovations. 10 year parts AND labor. No service plan from Air Innovations needed.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:18 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleeMan View Post
Looking to purchase a new HVAC system and got a quote from M&S for a Carrier system that includes a 10-year labor warranty where supposedly they'll fix any issue (other than act of God) for free.

Too good to be true? Anyone else have info on this?

Our almost 25 year old (yay/long life) liquid propane furnace (and standard AC condensor) system gave up the ghost upon first fire-up attempt November of last year. We got a new Rheem HVAC (AC and LP furnace) system with Progressive Heating and Cooling of Durham/Raleigh et al. or whatever their official name is.

They have a deal where *if you schedule and have the 99 dollar yearly maintenance check / Fall heat start up check done (we're going to do ours in October, near heat start up time), labor and repair is free on the system if anything goes wrong.

So probably what M&S is talking about is they will do the labor... not Carrier (perhaps obviously.. just making that clear). But FREE labor with no required yearly 99 dollar maintenance if that's what M&S is offering is pretty sweet.

And Rheem has a 10 year equipment warranty. So the system is warranted by Rheem, but labor warranty is by Progressive heating and cooling of the Triangle.

I don't think we got took on the labor warranty requiring a yearly checkup, because it doesn't hurt to have those done.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Do you have any quotes from competitors?

One way to offer a very long warranty is to charge a very high price for the unit.
Yes, got quotes for Trane which were all higher and only a 2-year labor deal. Granted, it's not apples-to-apples. The Trane's are multistage units while the Carrier's are all single-stage. Also, the Trane guy quoted us 3-ton and 2.5 units while the Carrier guy said we only needed 2-ton. I have a 2-ton unit now but it didn't include the room over the garage at the time of build. I read you don't want to go over as that can have issues, but I don't know who is right or wrong.

Getting a 3rd quote today.

Last edited by RawleeMan; 07-20-2022 at 05:08 AM..

Old 07-20-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Read the fine print. Are you required to subscribe to a regular maintenance service contract? That can be pricey. And does that include parts?
$69/yr preventative maintenance service contract required. Not sure about parts, waiting on warranty details.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:17 AM

43,270 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleeMan View Post
Yes, got quotes for Trane which were all higher and only a 2-year labor deal. Granted, it's not apples-to-apples. The Trane's are multistage units while the Carrier's are all single-stage. Also, the Trane guy quoted us 3-ton and 2.5 units while the Carrier guy said we only needed 2-ton. I have a 2-ton unit now but it didn't include the room over the garage at the time of build. I read you don't want to go over as that can have issues, but I don't know who is right or wrong.

Getting a 3rd quote today.
Focus on the installation company, not the equipment brand.

Neither Trane nor Carrier will be installing their products.

Old 07-20-2022, 05:34 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Cost for warranty service is built into the sale price of the product. Cost for warranty parts replacement is to some degree built into the wholesale cost of the product.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:12 AM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
Both our old HVAC systems were replaced by Progressive 3 1/2 years ago and I declined the service agreement, $100/year/unit. We recently had the upstairs unit stop cooling and it turned out to be a faulty thermostat. The Progressive service tech replaced the thermostat and all is fine now. He said that since we did not have a service agreement the cost was $100 for the service call and $113 for the thermostat, total of $213. I was quoted a price of $100/year/unit for a service agreement ($200/year total).

Looking at the numbers, I would have spent $700 over the period we have had the units installed had I bought the service plan. I don't know if the thermostat replacement and service call would have been free. But the bottom line is that I spent $213 instead of $700. Don't get me wrong; I like Progressive and have had the do all our electrical, plumbing and HVAC work. I find them to be professional, responsive, and on time.

HVAC companies are going to get their money, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary