Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 08:45 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Kimco Properties, the commercial real estate firm, has applied for the northern half of the Pleasant Valley Promenade shopping center off of Glenwood in northwest Raleigh to be rezoned. The request is "Commercial Mixed Use-5 Stories-Parking Limited-Conditional Use" (CX-5-PL CU). This sounds like a North Hills type of development, with apartments above and retail at ground level.

The inference is that Dick's Sporting Goods, Ashley Homestore Outlet, and everything in between as well as the former movie theater and gym most recently used for the Van Gogh "experience" will be torn down. Also the strip on the northwest side that has Gino's Pizza.

Zoning for the half of the shopping center nearest Glenwood would not change.

Pleasant Valley Promenade has had vacancy problems ever since it opened circa 1987, particularly the parts not visible from Glenwood. So, I'm not surprised. But it goes to show that any less successful shopping center in Raleigh is a prime candidate for rebuild as mixed use.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 09:58 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
This became public about six months ago. They reportedly said they don't plan to tear down any of the existing buildings, but it would seem difficult/impossible to adequately redevelop without doing that, so maybe TBJ was mistaken.

Anyway, it goes before the Planning Commission next week.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...partments.html

Old 08-05-2022, 12:29 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Didn't they just recently renovate the whole shopping center where Dicks (i thought it was a golf place before) in the past 2-3 years? Now they are tearing down??

Old 08-05-2022, 01:26 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Yes.

But unless they plan to build apartments that are cantilevered above the existing retail space, I'm with SFspiderman. Tear-down seems inevitable. The other possibility is that Kimco has an agreement to sell the tract, contingent on a rezoning, to someone who plans to redevelop it eventually. I wonder how long the existing leases have to run before they expire.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:21 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
This is great! If you ask me lets just abolish the towns of Zebulon, Wendell, Knightdale, Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Morrissville , and Fuquay Varina and put everyone in Cary/Raleigh. Redeveloping everything to accommodate for that. Now that's how you get a real lively city with things like nature/farms not far away. Alas I can only wish. Nice project though! Wish it somehow reduced sprawl instead of just attracting more people. Wish we could redevelop all these nasty strip malls.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
This is great! If you ask me lets just abolish the towns of Zebulon, Wendell, Knightdale, Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Morrissville , and Fuquay Varina and put everyone in Cary/Raleigh. Redeveloping everything to accommodate for that. Now that's how you get a real lively city with things like nature/farms not far away. Alas I can only wish. Nice project though! Wish it somehow reduced sprawl instead of just attracting more people. Wish we could redevelop all these nasty strip malls.
Yes, let's abolish towns that have been around for hundreds of years before you were born.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:56 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
this is where City of Raleigh needs to ID some of the more "ghost town" strip malls and buy them for future affordable housing and mixed use. By definition, they're all on transit lines.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yes, let's abolish towns that have been around for hundreds of years before you were born.
Well for zebulon and Wendell they are not 100 years older than me at all. Think both were founded in 1907. All I really want to say is grow raleigh more than sprawl raleigh!

Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is where City of Raleigh needs to ID some of the more "ghost town" strip malls and buy them for future affordable housing and mixed use. By definition, they're all on transit lines.
The entirety of capital boulevard

Old 08-09-2022, 09:45 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
But it goes to show that any less successful shopping center in Raleigh is a prime candidate for rebuild as mixed use.
Raleigh's 2012 UDO rewrite quietly allowed apartments in almost all office / retail, and many industrial, zones; OX, CX, NX, DX, and IX districts all allow residential by-right. Only Office Park (OP) and Industry-Heavy (IH) districts don't allow residential.

Most of the interest so far has been in filling in half-built office parks with apartments, since most retail land is too valuable for low-rise redevelopment. But the north half of Pleasant Valley Promenade has never been all that popular, and it's adjacent to other apartments. Having more residents nearby will make the remaining retail more valuable for smaller shops and restaurants.

Kimco has done an OK job of vertical mixed-use at a few of its properties:
https://www.kimcorealty.com/properties/signature-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Redeveloping everything to accommodate for that. Now that's how you get a real lively city with things like nature/farms not far away. Alas I can only wish. Nice project though! Wish it somehow reduced sprawl instead of just attracting more people. Wish we could redevelop all these nasty strip malls.
Hey, we kind of agree! Our cities could become much livelier and sustainable by redeveloping the vast swathes of car-dependent
But new houses don't attract more people; houses built today are sold/rented to people born decades ago. All net new housing demand in America now comes from households with at least one person aged 60+.

Suburban zoning laws were written in an era when life expectancies were closer to 60 than to 85, so there's an entire generation that they just plumb didn't account for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary