Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 02:46 PM

130 posts, read 109,514 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have noticed several street lights around Raleigh that are quite different that the others. It puts out some ultra-violet type light. The type you’d use for black velvet posters ( 70’s era kids know what I’m talking about).

They are LED type, as well as the others around them, so I wouldn’t’t say they are old style. They are rather random in their placement, at least to me they appear to be. There’s also one on the Rolesville bypass.

It’s certainly not earth shattering, but just wondering if there’s something special about them or where they’re installed.

Do I need to wear my tin-foiled covered pith helmet when passing under them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 03:07 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
They were from a bad batch that is defective and the coating that makes the light white goes bad. If you report them here they will usually fix them in a couple or three weeks. https://salor-web.duke-energy.app/#/...ions/carolinas

Old 08-14-2022, 04:25 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
OR, you can use some EzWiders roll a joint and lay in the grass under them while chanting Groovy Man, groovy!!!

Old 08-14-2022, 06:52 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,724,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
OR, you can use some EzWiders roll a joint and lay in the grass under them while chanting Groovy Man, groovy!!!
THIS!

Old 08-14-2022, 08:06 PM

130 posts, read 109,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
While wearing my tin foil pith helmet, eating Doritos, and drinking Mountain Dew

And to think it wasn’t part of some greater conspiracy.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:30 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
Ssshh, people will say that those street lights give them cancer like 5G and electric smartmeters do.

Old 08-15-2022, 05:44 AM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
I was wondering that also - there's a ton when you first get on 540 toll (from non-tolled 540). Also, an apartment building in west Cary has its entire parking lot with these lights and looks way too purple and weird. Like you are about to go into the Upside Down.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:58 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I was wondering that also - there's a ton when you first get on 540 toll (from non-tolled 540). Also, an apartment building in west Cary has its entire parking lot with these lights and looks way too purple and weird. Like you are about to go into the Upside Down.
If you submit them on the linked page (you’ll have to pick which side of the triangle first) they will fix them. I’ve reported a few places I’ve seen randomly.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Ssshh, people will say that those street lights give them cancer like 5G and electric smartmeters do.
Well I think the jury is still out on that one since no studies have been done regarding the long term health affects of continuous RF exposure on the human body, or what I affectionately call electronic pollution. Like most things, some people are more medically sensitive to it than others.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:51 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times
It depends on what you mean by "continuous". Smart meters squawk for one second several times a day, and their output power is about 1/5 of the RF power in mobile phones that people happily hold to their ears for hours. I've been working with RF for 55 years since I got my ham radio license as a teenager. I have healthy respect for it. Hang around a radio or TV station or a radar installation for a while. Professionals take RF very seriously, but they are working with systems from 10 to 100+ kilowatts. The rules on RF exposure, based on research, and the precautions to take are well known to professionals.

I won't hold a mobile phone up to my ear for long periods of time, even though the likelihood of tissue damage from doing so is about the same as the likelihood of being hit by lightning. That said, I don't fly kites in thunderstorms. I have no concerns whatsoever about the Bluetooth-equipped hearing aids that I put in my ears.

Actually there have been countless studies of the impact of electromagnetic radiation at radio and microwave frequencies. Radio technology has been in use for about 100 years now. It's all photons, but radio frequencies cause tissue heating not ionization like xrays. And of course, the human eye is constantly exposed to electromagnetic radiation by design. We are talking about molecular physics and at that level, everyone is the same. The notion that some people are "more medically sensitive" to it than others is hogwash. In this context, what differs from one person to the next is their personalities, their belief systems (whether based in fact or not), their susceptibility to suggestion, their state of fear, and their behavioral quirks -- not the laws of physics.

As a three-time cancer patient, I'm a lot more interested in what I drink, what I eat, what I inhale, what is absorbed through my skin, and what xrays I get (quite a danger) than the RF photons I swim in.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 08-16-2022 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary