Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 01:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I'm confused by the numbers. Are you telling me that if your flight originated from Charlotte going to Dublin that it would've cost $800 more than if you started in Raleigh and connected in Charlotte?
Exactly. For our family of four the tickets would have been about $200 more apiece to fly direct out of Charlotte vs flying out of RDU and making that connection in Charlotte to get on the very same plane to go to Dublin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 01:13 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Exactly. For our family of four the tickets would have been about $200 more apiece to fly direct out of Charlotte vs flying out of RDU and making that connection in Charlotte to get on the very same plane to go to Dublin.
So you got charged less to take two flights? That makes no sense LOL. Airlines smh.

I'm tempted to drive to Dulles or JFK next time I go across the pond but the drive back home does give me pause.

Old 10-04-2022, 01:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Yep. It was also cheaper out of Asheville. Our daughter is there now so I toyed with the idea of leaving out of the Asheville airport and then making the connection in Charlotte, but it ended up making more sense to leave from RDU.

So moral to my story is, double check the prices. Just because Charlotte might have a direct flight does not mean it costs less.

I have also driven to Dulles and flown out of there. It was pretty brutal driving home from there, but we saved like $1600 so worth it. Didn't make any sense for this next trip, though, so RDU to CLT to DUB it is.

RDU to DUB
CLT to DUB

Old 10-04-2022, 07:38 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Re: why a nonstop flight is more than a connection:
Airlines price based on city pairings supply/demand and the competitive environment.
American is the only airline that operates CLT - DUB nonstop so they are able to charge a premium for the local traveler that values a nonstop flight. They price to get a slight premium in the Charlotte market for that nonstop convenience.
Now for RDU to Dublin via Charlotte... American no longer has a unique product for RDU to DUB (a nonstop). They ARE competing with Delta via JFK, United via Dulles, Air Canada via Toronto, et.... which puts pricing pressure on the one stop flight for the RDU traveler. Thus to price match a RDU to DUB one stop flight on Delta via JFK, AA offers DUB via Charlotte at a price that is actually lower than the CLT to DUB nonstop.

This happens at many hub airports where a nonstop flight is more expensive than one stop flights going through the hub from cities on either end of the hub. Nonstops are more desirable and when other airlines don't fly the route direct, the airline has more pricing power on that city pairing. Virtually any airline can offer a one stop connection somewhere though which creates a lot more competition / price lowering to outdo each other on the one stop option. People prefer not to connect, but will do it to save money or if no other option exists as the airlines compete against each other for best one stop pricing.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Re: why a nonstop flight is more than a connection:
Airlines price based on city pairings supply/demand and the competitive environment.
American is the only airline that operates CLT - DUB nonstop so they are able to charge a premium for the local traveler that values a nonstop flight. They price to get a slight premium in the Charlotte market for that nonstop convenience.
Now for RDU to Dublin via Charlotte... American no longer has a unique product for RDU to DUB (a nonstop). They ARE competing with Delta via JFK, United via Dulles, Air Canada via Toronto, et.... which puts pricing pressure on the one stop flight for the RDU traveler. Thus to price match a RDU to DUB one stop flight on Delta via JFK, AA offers DUB via Charlotte at a price that is actually lower than the CLT to DUB nonstop.

This happens at many hub airports where a nonstop flight is more expensive than one stop flights going through the hub from cities on either end of the hub. Nonstops are more desirable and when other airlines don't fly the route direct, the airline has more pricing power on that city pairing. Virtually any airline can offer a one stop connection somewhere though which creates a lot more competition / price lowering to outdo each other on the one stop option. People prefer not to connect, but will do it to save money or if no other option exists as the airlines compete against each other for best one stop pricing.
This is really interesting and makes perfect sense. I've often wondered why it wasn't cheaper to drive to Charlotte for a direct flight somewhere, rather than connect from RDU. Mystery solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary