Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 01:22 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,804,357 times

Advertisements

Yes, Shake Shack is definitely from NYC. Taco Bamba and Cava are from the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 02:21 PM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Shake Shack was definitely a letdown. They originated in NYC though. Incidentally my first (excited!) time trying Shake Shack was on a trip to the DC area. Found the burgers overly greasy and under-flavored and the fries just OK. Have been a couple times since they opened the one in Cary and still the same. Not "Bad" per-se....but underwhelming considering the hype.

I still look forward to trying Taco Bamba though. I love a good taco place though and won't hold geographic-origins against any chain! That beings said; if the West Coast's beloved In-N-Out ever makes it over here....I've already been underwhelmed by them when visiting CA too. Their fries leave....a lot to be desired.
PRetty good advice. I may give them a try. IDK, I just have always been let down by "gringo" versions of "authentic tacos". (Pardon the bad term, hopefully I used it respectfully here.) Example: Chubby's gets all the hype, they're good and all, but totally a let-down compared to the hype and the price (like Shake Shack).

El Ranchero in Cary, or Several places in Durham or Raleigh that serve the real thing are all hard to compete with. (And several food trucks)

Old 10-06-2022, 02:27 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
JUST what we need. Another taco place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I really don't care. Which is a nice way of saying, do we ned another taco place in the Triangle? If others are excited about it, great. Me? I'll head to Gonzos.
I Don't totally understand this mindset, as if there's a cost paid by triangle residents for them opening a place here.

They didn't buy some landmark nightspot and bulldoze it. They're opening up across from the Whole Foods where Tripps used to be.

Me? I like Mexican food. I like authentic Mexican food in places where Liga MX games are on the tv and Spanish music blares, and I like kitschy upscale Mexican food with 12 different microbrews on tap, and I like the taco truck, and I'll even tolerate Uncle Julios if my wife insists, and I'll give this place a shot.

I could list a 1/2 a dozen types of restaurant that I'd like to see the triangle get (or get more than one or two choices of) but it isn't as if La Bamba closed the gate to them. There's a lot more that goes into it.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 726,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They didn't buy some landmark nightspot and bulldoze it. They're opening up across from the Whole Foods where Tripps used to be.
Hey now, I use to work at that Tripps back in the day, so it's practically a historic site.

It looks like from the rendering though that it's going to be where the old strip of random businesses is near where the gas station use to be (near Walgreens basically across from the old Tripps). A taco place seems like an upgrade for sure.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:44 PM

4,611 posts, read 6,445,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yes, Shake Shack is definitely from NYC. Taco Bamba and Cava are from the DC area.
Where is Chopt from?

Old 10-06-2022, 03:57 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
I Don't totally understand this mindset, as if there's a cost paid by triangle residents for them opening a place here.

Me? I like Mexican food. I like authentic Mexican food in places where Liga MX games are on the tv and Spanish music blares, and I like kitschy upscale Mexican food with 12 different microbrews on tap, and I like the taco truck, and I'll even tolerate Uncle Julios if my wife insists, and I'll give this place a shot.

I could list a 1/2 a dozen types of restaurant that I'd like to see the triangle get (or get more than one or two choices of) but it isn't as if La Bamba closed the gate to them. There's a lot more that goes into it.
It's often just people afraid of change. Don't like tacos? Don't go to taco restaurants and less taco restaurants will open up. If this place is good, they'll be a welcome addition. If not, well they'll probably be gone in fairly short order.

And heck, it's not as if there aren't tons of other options in the area. And like you say, it's not as if these people are incurring a cost by the new place coming.

There was a thread on Facebook a while back about a Panda Express coming here to High Point (where I live). Some lady was complaining about all the riff raff that goes on in the vacant lot where the Panda Express is going but she can't believe this Panda Express is going to open and create even more riff-raff. It's like, do you not understand how this works?

Old 10-06-2022, 04:44 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,508,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Gotta order 'em well done.
OR....hear me out....the baseline for their recipe could be cooking them all the way through the first time?

Old 10-06-2022, 07:57 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
OR....hear me out....the baseline for their recipe could be cooking them all the way through the first time?
Hahhahaha

Not even flower I could smell from across the street that my wife’s buddy got me as a wedding gift (he’s some kind of scientist for dispensaries out there. Claimed he worked in logistics until he determined I was “cool enough” over dinner) could make me like In-N-Out. Then again, without my Medulla Oblongata, I may have forgotten to breathe that night, so consider the source. In-dah-couuuuch.

To each their own and all that. But my own, In-N-Out, is not.

As for the new taco place, sweet.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:41 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,361,963 times
Quote:

Me, I would prefer an authentic Mexican restaurant vs. another chain. Or something that is different from what we already have. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that was why I posted what I did.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:03 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Me, I would prefer an authentic Mexican restaurant vs. another chain. Or something that is different from what we already have. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that was why I posted what I did.
Except this place is probably more authentic than 75% of "authentic" Mexican restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary