Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 11:37 AM

233 posts, read 237,076 times

Advertisements

The recent unfortunate events in Moore County have me rethinking my stance on generators in general.

My home is not serviced by a natural gas provider and Dominion quoted me $10k+ to run lines to the house if I am not able to find at least 2 other neighbors wanting natural gas AND to convert their HVAC or other major appliances to natural gas. Because of this, I previously determined that I would be better off (financially) letting food in the fridge and freezer go bad in the event of a winter weather extended outage rather than pay nearly $20k for natural gas lines, 14kw Generac standby generator, installation costs, etc.

It looks like I have the following options, I'd like to know your thoughts and/or experiences on them:

1. Cheapest -- 12,500 watt peak power generator for $1250, either run extension cords indoors or backfeed into 50A 240V outlet in garage (dangerous, trying to avoid this at all costs)

2. 12,500 watt peak power generator, have electrician install transfer switch and interlock etc (maybe $4000 total, not sure on exact costs)

3. Tesla powerwall or LG whole house battery backup for around $10-12k installed

I'm leaning towards option #2 but I'm not sure if this will be worth the costs and hassles involved. At the same time, my area frequently experiences short power outages during thunderstorms and was out for nearly 24 hours during the tropical storm earlier this year. A major winter weather event or a catastrophe like that in Moore County could have the neighborhood out of power for a week or more so I am definitely giving this some thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 12:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
#2 all the way. We went this route in MA and it did exactly what we needed, for a much lower price than whole-house. Depending on where your panel is located, costs could be much less than what you quoted.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:57 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
#2, powered by a large propane tank unless you want to exercise your gasoline-powered or diesel-powered generator regularly so that it will start up when you need it.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:49 PM

5,880 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I previously determined that I would be better off (financially) letting food in the fridge and freezer go bad in the event of a winter weather extended outage rather than pay nearly $20k for natural gas lines, 14kw Generac standby generator, installation costs, etc.
Do you really need one that big? One half that size is fine for a fridge, freezer and some appliances. Unless you need to run the heat or AC, you can really cut the costs by going smaller.

Quote:

It looks like I have the following options, I'd like to know your thoughts and/or experiences on them:

1. Cheapest -- 12,500 watt peak power generator for $1250, either run extension cords indoors or backfeed into 50A 240V outlet in garage (dangerous, trying to avoid this at all costs)
Backfeeding is only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. That's why they call them suicide cords. Just shut off your main breaker when running the Gen Set.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

Backfeeding is only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. That's why they call them suicide cords. Just shut off your main breaker when running the Gen Set.
You’re expecting a lot of people. That’s the whole point of an interlock and an inlet. Cheap insurance.

Old 12-05-2022, 01:58 PM

233 posts, read 237,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
#2 all the way. We went this route in MA and it did exactly what we needed, for a much lower price than whole-house. Depending on where your panel is located, costs could be much less than what you quoted.

Glad to hear this type of setup worked up north where it would be needed more often in the winter. I'll eventually get a few electrician estimates to get a better feel for the installation costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
#2, powered by a large propane tank unless you want to exercise your gasoline-powered or diesel-powered generator regularly so that it will start up when you need it.

I have a gas station that sells diesel within a mile of the house so in a SHTF situation I can walk if the roads are too dangerous. I never worked with propane before but I hate how it smells every time I drive down 55 near 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Do you really need one that big? One half that size is fine for a fridge, freezer and some appliances. Unless you need to run the heat or AC, you can really cut the costs by going smaller.

I would like to power the electric HVAC (heatpump) + fridge + networking equipment if possible. The goal will be to set the HVAC to a low enough temperature to avoid triggering AUX heat which would likely overpower the generator.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:17 PM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
I agree with others: Option 2. A 12.5kw generator will almost power the whole house. But the increased cost of going up to ~22kw is not that more expensive. Wiring, transfer switch, installation, gas plumbing, labor, etc are the same regardless of generator capacity. The only difference in cost is in the generator itself. It's not that much more expensive to get a bigger unit. Then you have the convenience on not having to select which circuits to power or worry about the aux heat overcoming the generator. Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:27 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
I like 1# Least expensive route. I have 2 Honda 2200eu portable generators. They pull and start with ease, and are extremely quiet. I can run one or both, or run them in parallel maximizing energy. I have around $2,000 in them including cords. If I move they go with me.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:35 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
I have a gas station that sells diesel within a mile of the house so in a SHTF situation I can walk if the roads are too dangerous.
In a real SHTF situation, don't count on gas stations to be open. No staff, no power, no deliveries, etc.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:49 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Option 2 would be easier, but we have option 1 and went 5 days without power with it. It was needed just one time, and it ran a freezer, refrigerator, coffeemaker and microwave, a few lamps and TV. We cooked on the gas grill. It was like Glamping.

It was labor intensive for my husband and you have to have plenty of gasoline. My point is, you can get along with the cheapest option, but you might not want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary