Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 07:30 AM

321 posts, read 257,151 times

Advertisements

This will be interesting if it comes to fruition:

https://flowersplantation.com/the-waterfront-district/

Neo-Urbanism:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Urbanism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 05:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Does this differ at all from the other "live! work! play!" destination centers around the Triangle? IE North Hills, Fenton, Park West, Parkside, etc.

I feel like the concept is always great but they just end up being glorified strip malls. Parkside was the funniest because the apartments are clear on the other side of the development, and there's a 4 lanes road (O'Kelly Chapel) splitting it all up. North Hills and Fenton are nice I guess, parts of Park West are nice.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:08 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Does this differ at all from the other "live! work! play!" destination centers around the Triangle? IE North Hills, Fenton, Park West, Parkside, etc.

I feel like the concept is always great but they just end up being glorified strip malls. Parkside was the funniest because the apartments are clear on the other side of the development, and there's a 4 lanes road (O'Kelly Chapel) splitting it all up. North Hills and Fenton are nice I guess, parts of Park West are nice.
Parkside started as a much more interesting concept and got scaled way back, which is pretty common with this type of development.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:15 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Parkside started as a much more interesting concept and got scaled way back, which is pretty common with this type of development.
Yeah....

Oh and how could I forget Beaver Creek. I'm not sure what the original plan was for that, but it's the worst now...

Old 12-18-2022, 06:48 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Yeah....

Oh and how could I forget Beaver Creek. I'm not sure what the original plan was for that, but it's the worst now...
Ugh yeah, with Parkside they shoved the apartments as far away as possible from the Teeter and Target. I get scaling back, but there was zero care as to how that was going to function at all.

Agreed as well with Beaver Creek. In regard to all the "lifestyle centers" in the Triangle, it's a strip mall. There's no concept of live/work/play there. Just ****ty retail that you can't walk between. Don't even get me started on the road network in that hell hole.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:27 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
I still say that a return to the early 20th century small town layout is the way to go.

Just build a square grid of streets for several blocks in each direction and let people build individually on small urban-scaled lots.

I think the objective should be to be able to walk to the corner store to buy toilet paper, loaf of bread, etc. with getting in the car.

The grid of streets should connect to 2 or more existing major arterials to distribute the traffic load, and let a small town develop organically.

I'm so happy to see that Rolesville is building a town center just like I always wanted. It's located right where the original main intersection was at 401 and E. Young Street.

https://cobblestonevillagerolesville.com/

Old 12-18-2022, 07:37 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
I like Fairfax County’s Mosaic District https://mosaicdistrict.com/

Old 12-18-2022, 07:51 PM

378 posts, read 205,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
I couldn't locate the Cracker Barrel on the master plan.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:13 PM

321 posts, read 257,151 times
Quote:

It seems to be the first of its kind in Johnston county. But maybe other real estate experts can confirm this.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:27 PM

378 posts, read 205,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
It seems to be the first of its kind in Johnston county. But maybe other real estate experts can confirm this.
Does it have a Cracker Barrel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary