Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 06:12 PM

91 posts, read 133,281 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im currently in LI, NY and am looking at options to buy an affordable house and raise kids in a better school district. I am open to relocation and looking at NC as an option. Any recommendations for areas towns with good schools and RN jobs? I work from home, so can stay anywhere. I was hoping its still affordable comparing to NY, not sure what is good for elementary/middle/HS... any recommendations?
I dont seem to find the right area in NC... Cary, Morrisville seem to be expensive. Any school districts and towns better? I;ve been to NC several times, both Raleigh area and Charlotte but coming from NY it feels like just very different atmosphere there. What are the safer areas,?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 06:19 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Wake County is one school district. Not sure you'll find much savings if you are looking for home prices less than Long Island. Property taxes are less and if you have a house to sell you might do OK.

You need to do a LOT more research on your own and then come here with more specific questions rather than "what's a good school in Wake County"....not trying to be snarky but please read the relocation sticky at the top of the page.

Also if you still need special ed you are going to be sorely disappointed compared to what you get in NY.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:28 PM

563 posts, read 956,178 times
What do you consider to be affordable?

Old 02-09-2023, 06:41 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Yes - definitions of affordable and good schools would be helpful.

I'm not sure what the schools are like in LI, but Wake County schools have been on a downward trend unfortunately. Despite the huge amounts of people moving here, the enrollment numbers are actually going down pretty significantly.

If financial reasons and schools are your only reasons for moving here, I would strongly recommend against it.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:45 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wake County is one school district. Not sure you'll find much savings if you are looking for home prices less than Long Island. Property taxes are less and if you have a house to sell you might do OK.

You need to do a LOT more research on your own and then come here with more specific questions rather than "what's a good school in Wake County"....not trying to be snarky but please read the relocation sticky at the top of the page.

Also if you still need special ed you are going to be sorely disappointed compared to what you get in NY.
This can't be emphasized enough. If you have an IEP or a 504, Wake County (and likely most of North Carolina) provides significantly less support to a child than North Eastern states. You will receive the bare minimum support if you fight for it, less if you don't. If your children don't require additional support, don't get caught up on the "best" school, as almost all schools in Wake County will provide a solid education; those you may want to avoid are easy to identify.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:27 AM

341 posts, read 296,883 times
Florida be a better choice

Old 02-10-2023, 08:29 AM

91 posts, read 133,281 times
Thanks for your responses.
Yes my child has IEP, and its pretty fine here for services... I consider anything under 500K affordable...
Yes the only 2 reasons to move are to buy a house as well as to raise kids in good schools...
We have good schools here in LI, but buying a house is just not affordable here...seems like its almost similar range in RTP area then.. pretty sad.
How is Florida better? Jacksonville? Dont want the coastal hurricane places..

Old 02-10-2023, 09:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Florida is not better. The school system is currently a political war zone, state-wide.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Props to the OP for doing research prior.

Some people always say people are too negative in this forum, but being straight up with the facts possibly will prevent someone from making a mistake they'll quickly regret. Schools here are much much much different than northeastern schools, especially if you have a child with special needs.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:11 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlights99 View Post
Thanks for your responses.
Yes my child has IEP, and its pretty fine here for services... I consider anything under 500K affordable...
Yes the only 2 reasons to move are to buy a house as well as to raise kids in good schools...
We have good schools here in LI, but buying a house is just not affordable here...seems like its almost similar range in RTP area then.. pretty sad.
How is Florida better? Jacksonville? Dont want the coastal hurricane places..
Jacksonville Florida is less at risk from hurricanes than even Raleigh all the way inland. Shape of the coast makes hurricanes there very rare, in fact probably rarer than they are on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary