Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 05:10 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,706 times

Advertisements

This usually comes up every year, so I'll kick it off for 2023. Looking at roof replacement for our townhome and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of companies out there. We don't have any leaks and we're not in a huge rush, but want to get ahead of the summer demand and have the roof done under our terms and not wait for a catastrophe. (We need the deck done more than the roof, but don't want a new deck to get banged up by roofers down the road....)

We went through the same thing picking a contractor for AC/furnace replacement a few years ago and after a few quotes ended up going with high rated/most ratings on Google. Guess what? They did a terrible job. So now I'm paranoid that I will pick poorly again.

Just curious who everyone is happy with right now? Currently have one estimate complete and three more scheduled (one today). I was not impressed by the pressure and urgency to commit to the job by the estimator yesterday, and they have a lot of good ratings on Google... so not off to a good start.

This is my list so far:
  • Artisan
  • Baker
  • Raleigh Roofers
  • Roofwerks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 08:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
We used Artisan, very happy. SUPER organized, which is important to me.

Baker gets great reviews, all I'll say about them is I walk on the greenways after work in the afternoon and there is a house I was watching that they were roofing that took almost 3 days to complete, and that's ridiculous. One day is enough to deal with the mess.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:20 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Baker is huge and thus they have some efficient systems and cover the whole Triangle. I've had several clients use Baker and the HOA for the condo I own uses Baker for all roofing work. Solid for replacement and repairs.

That being said; when I had the roof replaced on my house last year; I went with Wilson & Sons. Was impressed by and respected their authenticity (it really is a local father and his two sons) and communication and craftsmanship was great. They are based in Northwest Raleigh but cover most of Wake and parts of Durham counties.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:22 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
We were very happy with Artisan, but it was a few years back now.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:01 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
https://www.walkerbrownroofing.com/

Old 03-23-2023, 08:20 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
This is my list so far:
  • Artisan
  • Baker
  • Raleigh Roofers
  • Roofwerks
+1 for Baker.

Something to consider: In general the roofing material is warranted by the manufacturer; the roofing labor is warranted by the installer. For that reason I prefer a large and long-established company. The small operator may go bust tomorrow and then you have no warranty on labor.

If you have a "rewards" credit card make sure the vendor you choose accepts payment by credit card. Some will, some won't, some will but only with an upcharge.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:12 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,330 times
The best roofer is the one that can make your deductible disappear.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
Ahhh insurance fraud. Good times.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,744,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post

Homeowners insurance doesn't cover roof replacements that are done due to the years of age/normal wear and tear so why does this matter?

Old 03-23-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Homeowners insurance doesn't cover roof replacements that are done due to the years of age/normal wear and tear so why does this matter?
And even if they do, it's insurance fraud for the roofer to pay your deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary