Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 07:55 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Figured it was futile. All the evidence of loose rocks can be see on the sides of the road.
Yeah...I hate it when people on their cell phones drift off to the side of the road into the "marbles" and kick that stuff up...especially big trucks. I also avoid staying behind dump trucks...I see people driving right up close to them and that's asking for a cracked windshield.

It should be illegal for big trucks to have missing or damaged mud flaps and don't get me started on the retread truck tire chunks laying all over the road. I was on my way to Knoxville on I40 and hit one of those truck tires and it knocked the front end alignment out enough to where the steering wheel wasn't straight so I had to get an alignment done in Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 08:47 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Like Mike, we've replaced several windshields since moving here. Zero comp deductible was good advice given by our agent when we moved here.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
I guess my windshields are all made of diamond or something, I've driven that stretch of 440 every day twice a day since 2017 and never had a chipped or cracked windshield. 3 different vehicles. Lucky me!

Old 03-25-2023, 09:04 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Like Mike, we've replaced several windshields since moving here. Zero comp deductible was good advice given by our agent when we moved here.
Yes, I'm always surprised when people tell me they have a $100 or $250 deductible on their comprehensive insurance. Like it must lower their rates $5 every 6 months. I pay between $25 (for a 19 yo beater) and $50 (for a brand new 45k truck) every 6 months for comprehensive with zero deductible. I doubt it would be much cheaper with a deductible, but it would be almost useless.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:10 AM

230 posts, read 255,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Lucky me!
You are very lucky! I work prn and only drive that section once or twice per week and every time, there always bits of gravel flying up at my car. I reported this a few months ago and was told have crews to sweep it every so often and will be fixing it in April. I'm just surprised they let it get to this point.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:31 PM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
I have two huge chips from that road too. The weird thing is, the blacktop that's crumbling never needed to be laid down. The road was fine and they decided to put this trash almost cold patch stuff over it, but just on that small section. The road before and after that entire section is fine. The road under where the trash cold patch rocks is peeling off is fine too. I don't get it.

There's a similar section of rough cold patch like trash blacktop on US1 south between Tryon and a bit before ten ten. Again, it was never necessary. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it's almost like someone bribed NCDOT to pay for disposal of earth's crappiest blacktop and they were like "yeah put it here and here"

Old 03-27-2023, 07:20 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
The road was fine
NCDOT has said they applied the top coat because the asphalt was too slippery when wet... the agggregate was too small.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:43 AM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
On the insurance piece. This was my exp with Farm Bureau. The shop told me to make sure to say the chip was bigger than a quarter and/or impacted vision, or else FB will deny a whole new windshield and say to fix the chip.

Given on new cars new windshields can be $1500 someone's gotta be looking at costs over there.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:05 AM

379 posts, read 748,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
NCDOT has said they applied the top coat because the asphalt was too slippery when wet... the agggregate was too small.
Oh wow, today I learned. And I guess that explains why the top coat consists of river rocks

Old 04-01-2023, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 6,831 times
Default windshield

getting a another vehicles insurance to pay is hard....best thing you can do is lower your comprehensive deductible to $100 or less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary