Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 09:58 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times

Advertisements

The patch of road between Six Forks and Glenwood on I440 is a disaster with the road crumbling, with the worst part being on the side going south towards Wade Ave/I40. I only drove on that section once a couple months ago and had a rock fly up on my windshield, cracking it.

My son drives that way on his way home from school and has now had his 2nd rock chip from a rock flying up.

Does anyone know how to file a complaint about this? Replacing a windshield is not free and I'm sure there are many other cars that have had rocks fly up on their windshields in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 10:18 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Multiple people on Reddit submitted claims to NCDOT and they were all rejected haha (I have two chips on my windshield too from 440 & Glenwood......)

https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/com...ed_windshield/

Last edited by pierretong1991; 03-23-2023 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-23-2023, 10:20 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
The patch of road between Six Forks and Glenwood on I440 is a disaster with the road crumbling, with the worst part being on the side going south towards Wade Ave/I40. I only drove on that section once a couple months ago and had a rock fly up on my windshield, cracking it.

My son drives that way on his way home from school and has now had his 2nd rock chip from a rock flying up.

Does anyone know how to file a complaint about this? Replacing a windshield is not free and I'm sure there are many other cars that have had rocks fly up on their windshields in this area.
I hate to say this, but I think it's futile. (I share your frustration).

Last I heard, Helen Rott was in charge of dealing with complaints about windshields. (As the saying goes, if you want to file a complaint, you can go to Helen Rott)

^Not trying to be a jerk, just guessing what kind of response you'll get. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:49 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Yeah, the claim form is here, but it's unlikely to be approved:

https://www.ncdot.gov/contact/Pages/claims.aspx

For pothole damage, there's at least some evidence in the form of the actual pothole. But they'll claim a cracked windshield could have come from anything being kicked up, whether it's something came off a truck or whatever.

Repaving of that section starts next month though!

Old 03-23-2023, 10:52 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
For many years, I have carried "ACV," "Actual Cash Value," Zero Deductible Comprehensive insurance.
It is cheap and State Farm has replaced enough windshields for free to easily cover the premium difference.

They don't cancel your policy because of those claims.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-23-2023 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Last I heard, Helen Rott was in charge of dealing with complaints about windshields. (As the saying goes, if you want to file a complaint, you can go to Helen Rott)

^Not trying to be a jerk, just guessing what kind of response you'll get. Good luck.
This took me a minute.....

I have to agree that I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of NCDOT even acknowledging the complaint let alone taking responsibility/providing compensation.

Per Mike;

I had Safelight replace TWO windshields on the same vehicle several years ago only a few months apart. Safelight paid the $50 State Farm deducible then (not sure if they still do that now; this was in 2016 or thereabouts).

Old 03-23-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I have dealt with a Helen Waite years ago.
Maybe that was her maiden name?

Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 AM

233 posts, read 236,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For many years, I have carried Zero Deductible Comprehensive insurance.
It is cheap and State Farm has replaced enough windshields for free to easily cover the premium difference.

They don't cancel your policy because of those claims.

Will filing comprehensive claims cause your insurance rates to increase? I know the answer is yes for homeowners insurance but am not 100% sure about cars.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Will filing comprehensive claims cause your insurance rates to increase? I know the answer is yes for homeowners insurance but am not 100% sure about cars.
No.
Comp is for unavoidables.
Windshields.
Deer strikes.
Flood.
Tree falls on it.
Etc.

Having said that, Twingles is our Insurance Maven, so I might would defer...

Old 03-23-2023, 07:35 PM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Figured it was futile. All the evidence of loose rocks can be see on the sides of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary