Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:08 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Back in my school days these tasks would be handled by the school dean, who BTW also had a big paddle in their office and weren't afraid to use it when necessary. The police would be called in only when necessary if crimes or assaults were committed. Our society has really fallen when trained police officers are required to be on school campus every day. Maybe it's time to revisit things that worked really well in the past.
I grew up in a time and place where no paddles were used, the threat of your parents finding out about your bad deeds was deterrent enough. Now kids have been building bombs and arming themselves to the teeth while their parents surf Facebook and don't want to hear a word about little Johnny.

If parents knew all the crap that admins don't bother dealing with....let's just say I can EASILY see what happened in Newport News happening here. I posted before my sister had a kid last year (4th grade) who vaped in class and brought a knife to school. Yet he was there day after day, with no consequences. She doesn't teach in a bad area.

The day will come here that a kid brings a weapon to school and the kid will have a long list of bad deeds. And everyone will say "how could this happen".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 10:17 AM

920 posts, read 747,595 times
More guns in schools isn't the answer; fewer guns on the street IS. Meanwhile, the leading cause of death for children in this country is gun violence.

Stop voting for republicans who perpetuate this horrific tragedy.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:45 AM

4,161 posts, read 4,875,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
More guns in schools isn't the answer; fewer guns on the street IS. Meanwhile, the leading cause of death for children in this country is gun violence.

Stop voting for republicans who perpetuate this horrific tragedy.
Criminals don't care diddly squat about gun laws. They just steal whatever guns they want.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:48 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Criminals don't care diddly squat about gun laws. They just steal whatever guns they want.
With more guns than residents, the U.S. is a target rich environment for crooks to take guns.
Just another common sense reason to stem the flood of arms a bit.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
As Mike said, all the more reason to cut the easy availability of guns. In virtually everyone mass shooting that I've read about, the guns were purchased by the shooter, not stolen.

And I don't care diddly squat about the excuses you and others use to do nothing and continue to watch our children killed. We need to demand action now.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
As Mike said, all the more reason to cut the easy availability of guns. In virtually everyone mass shooting that I've read about, the guns were purchased by the shooter, not stolen.

And I don't care diddly squat about the excuses you and others use to do nothing and continue to watch our children killed. We need to demand action now.
We are down digging in the bushes, and can't see the forest. Guns, whether stolen or purchased legally are USED, USED in the killing of others. PEOPLE are the real issue. As long as we have PEOPLE, and some of those PEOPLE are repeat offenders that roam amongst us, like ticking time bombs waiting to go off.

I have owned guns all my life, my parents have owned guns all their lives... we ain't killers, never have been!

I've probably "capped" a few people when Uncle Sam somehow gave me a license to kill back in the late 60s.

Guns don't go off by themselves, despite what Alec Baldwin says.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
We are down digging in the bushes, and can't see the forest. Guns, whether stolen or purchased legally are USED, USED in the killing of others. PEOPLE are the real issue. As long as we have PEOPLE, and some of those PEOPLE are repeat offenders that roam amongst us, like ticking time bombs waiting to go off.

I have owned guns all my life, my parents have owned guns all their lives... we ain't killers, never have been!

I've probably "capped" a few people when Uncle Sam somehow gave me a license to kill back in the late 60s.

Guns don't go off by themselves, despite what Alec Baldwin says.
Of all the arguments for continuing to allow this slaughter of innocents the sad, old one of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is the dumbest. Thanks Capt. Obvious

I own a gun too, and I've never killed anyone. So what? I'm smart enough to see that we have to do something. NOW!

Old 03-30-2023, 03:25 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Of all the arguments for continuing to allow this slaughter of innocents the sad, old one of "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is the dumbest. Thanks Capt. Obvious

I own a gun too, and I've never killed anyone. So what? I'm smart enough to see that we have to do something. NOW!

Great reply, no solution, but great reply!

Old 03-30-2023, 04:46 PM

563 posts, read 955,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The debate is simplistic and minimally intellectual, but is fueled by MILLIONS of dollars in NRA and manufacturer lobbying money, mostly to Congresspeople who are bought like chattel to support the continuing flood of guns onto our streets.

It is a "Follow The Dollars" dynamic.
This is very true!

Old 03-30-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Great reply, no solution, but great reply!
LOL, at least I can see and acknowledge that there is a problem. No one knows what the "solution" is, but only the morally bankrupt can sit here and advocate doing nothing.

An assault rifle ban would be a good start, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary