Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 06:58 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
If you are jamming on your brakes, yes you are doing something wrong. It is a crosswalk, you do not have right of way, you must yield to anyone in it. You should be slowing so that you can stop if someone enters it, just like with a yield sign.
Crosswalks are actually for pedestrians. I don't believe a bicyclist is considered a pedestrian, and they should technically be dismounting and walking across. A person walking across a crosswalk versus a cyclist riding across a crosswalk, gives the driver much more warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 07:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Stop Signs - Bicyclists must come to a complete
stop and yield the right-of-way at a stop sign
before proceeding. [§20-158(b)(1) and (c)(1)]

If a bicyclist has to stop for a sign or signal, he
should stop at the stop bar marked in the street or
before entering a marked crosswalk or before the
intersection with the nearest street. [§20-158(b)(5)]

Motorists are not required to stop or even slow down for a crosswalk if a pedestrian is not present. Bicyclists present a different scenario due to the speed at which they travel.

There's also a speed limit for bicyclists on the greenway.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Crosswalks are actually for pedestrians. I don't believe a bicyclist is considered a pedestrian, and they should technically be dismounting and walking across. A person walking across a crosswalk versus a cyclist riding across a crosswalk, gives the driver much more warning.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 20-173 (c) The driver of a vehicle emerging from or entering an alley, building entrance, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian, or person riding a bicycle, approaching on any sidewalk or walkway extending across such alley, building entrance, road, or driveway.

Odd. The state statute does not say that cyclists need to dismount in order for drivers to have to yield to them. It says that drivers shall yield to pedestrians OR " person riding a bicycle, approaching on any sidewalk or walkway extending across such alley, building entrance, road, or driveway."

In other words, when you approach a crosswalk, slow down so that you can stop if a pedestrian OR a person on a bicycle needs to cross it when you reach it. PERIOD. Pretty simple. Slow down when approaching a crosswalk. If you have to slam on your brakes you are doing it wrong. Pedestrian, cyclist, you are required to yield, or you are breaking the law. And threatening the lives of other people.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:43 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Motorists are not required to stop or even slow down for a crosswalk if a pedestrian is not present. Bicyclists present a different scenario due to the speed at which they travel.
Wrong.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:51 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 20-173 (c) The driver of a vehicle emerging from or entering an alley, building entrance, private road, or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian, or person riding a bicycle, approaching on any sidewalk or walkway extending across such alley, building entrance, road, or driveway.

Odd. The state statute does not say that cyclists need to dismount in order for drivers to have to yield to them. It says that drivers shall yield to pedestrians OR " person riding a bicycle, approaching on any sidewalk or walkway extending across such alley, building entrance, road, or driveway."

In other words, when you approach a crosswalk, slow down so that you can stop if a pedestrian OR a person on a bicycle needs to cross it when you reach it. PERIOD. Pretty simple. Slow down when approaching a crosswalk. If you have to slam on your brakes you are doing it wrong. Pedestrian, cyclist, you are required to yield, or you are breaking the law. And threatening the lives of other people.
Last I checked I wasn’t in an alley, a building entrance, private road, or driveway.

The law you posted is for people entering/exiting private residents or businesses that are crossing sidewalks etc. Not public roads. That law says if there were cars on the ATT, they would yield.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Gotta give GVoR kudos for using common sense and doing the math on this one!!!!!

1. Walker seeing a vehicle approaching: 1 step to stop!
2. Runner seeing a vehicle approaching: 3-4 steps to stop!
3. Bicycle seeing a vehicle approaching: 15-30 feet to stop!
4. Vehicle traveling at 25 MPH approaching: 60-90 feet to stop!

If a person walks into a parked car it's a bump.
if a runner runs into a parked car, it's a bump or a bruise.
If a bicycle rides into a parked car, it's a bruise, maybe a dent.
If a vehicle runs into any of the above at 25 MPH, it's going to be something major, possibly life threatening, always an issue.

I don't know about you, but I don't give a crap what the law says about who has the right-a-way.
If I'm walking, running, cycling...... I'm ALWAYS going to defer to the car since it has the most potential to hurt me and the least ability to stop on a dime.
If I'm driving, and I approach a crosswalk that has people around, I'm going to be looking for that one person that "defies" the physical laws and comes strolling out like they are Superman and they KNOW I'm NOT driving a Kryptonite vehicle.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:52 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Gotta give GVoR kudos for using common sense and doing the math on this one!!!!!

1. Walker seeing a vehicle approaching: 1 step to stop!
2. Runner seeing a vehicle approaching: 3-4 steps to stop!
3. Bicycle seeing a vehicle approaching: 15-30 feet to stop!
4. Vehicle traveling at 25 MPH approaching: 60-90 feet to stop!

If a person walks into a parked car it's a bump.
if a runner runs into a parked car, it's a bump or a bruise.
If a bicycle rides into a parked car, it's a bruise, maybe a dent.
If a vehicle runs into any of the above at 25 MPH, it's going to be something major, possibly life threatening, always an issue.

I don't know about you, but I don't give a crap what the law says about who has the right-a-way.
If I'm walking, running, cycling...... I'm ALWAYS going to defer to the car since it has the most potential to hurt me and the least ability to stop on a dime.
If I'm driving, and I approach a crosswalk that has people around, I'm going to be looking for that one person that "defies" the physical laws and comes strolling out like they are Superman and they KNOW I'm NOT driving a Kryptonite vehicle.
Ya no voice vote or piece of paper is going to magically protect my body from being turned into a paint color when someone smokes my ass like a pack of Kools in a 3K lb vehicle.

To steal the line from Dane Cook's standup years ago...has anyone seen my shoes?!

Old 04-25-2023, 08:30 AM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
This post is about the ATT.......a MUT. Cyclists are permitted to ride across. Everyone about to enter a crosswalk should stop and look.....and if a motorist is close, stay and let them pass.

I'm an active road cyclists and I always slow down when I'm about to cross an ATT crosswalk. Same when I'm driving a motor vehicle. I've seen enough pedestrians and cyclists cross without a care in the world to know that caution is needed.

I do not ride on sidewalks. But laws regarding cycling on sidewalks are all over the place. Some towns it is permitted, others not. So crosswalks may not be just for pedestrians.

Cycling laws around the US varies as well. It's a bit of a mess. Example, in NC cyclists are permitted to use a full motoring lane but not in Maryland.

Motoring laws are also not the best when it comes to cycling survival. Cyclists stopped at a traffic light gets rear ended by a motorist.......life altering.

Link below is not about crosswalks but does illustrate what cycling groups do to improve safety.

http://www.bikewalknc.org/2015/04/wh...e-two-abreast/

Last edited by CDN56T; 04-25-2023 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: link

Old 04-25-2023, 08:49 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
If you are jamming on your brakes, yes you are doing something wrong. It is a crosswalk, you do not have right of way, you must yield to anyone in it. You should be slowing so that you can stop if someone enters it, just like with a yield sign.
I think you are right, then wrong..

Right: If you're jamming on the brakes while approaching a crosswalk, you are doing something wrong. A driver should be prepared to stop in any situation. A crosswalk is marked, so you already need to be "ready to stop". If you're not, you're wrong.

Wrong: I believe that the driver DOES have the right of way unless the crosswalk is actively being used, or unless there is signage (or lights) to stop. Still, you have to be READY to stop (see above)

Quote:
Crosswalks are for all users. Cyclists are permitted by Cary law to use the sidewalks and greenways. They don't have to get off the bike, but they do have to observe the laws as a pedestrian, whereas in the road they observe laws as a driver. For instance, if I have to ride on Cary Parkway, I USUALLY take the sidewalk. When I do, I have to verify EVERY cross street is free from cars. If I were to ride on the Parkway, I would be considered a driver, and being on the major road, I can ride on without stopping. (As a safety minded rider, I still verify it's safe. I may have the legal right of way, but Physics are still not in my favor, I want to live to ride again.)

Again, by law, and by common sense, nobody should be walking or riding into a road without verifying that it's safe. They don't have to get off the bike, but they do have to make sure it's clear. I believe (from memory) that every one of those crosswalks has a stop-sign for the trail users. If they blow the sign, they are not obeying the law.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:09 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Wrong.
So you stop at every crosswalk you encounter? Good luck not getting rear ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary