Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 01:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Am I the only one to spot the irony in how you phrased your response? It's true that abortion is a separate issue apart from anything having to do with LGBTQ+ rights, but it has everything to do with women's rights. And so when you pitched that the trans athletes law was about women's rights, so too is protecting a women's right to choose, but Christian lawmakers never seem to see it that way. They'll defend to their death the sanctity of amatuer women's sports, but if any of those naturally born women are sexually assaulted or the victims of non-consensual sex and get pregnant, they can still run track against only naturally born women, but only until their pregnancy advances, because they'll have no choice but to carry to term and deliver.

Gotta love those women's rights champions.
I thought that was a given?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 01:13 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
I get what the posters are saying about women's rights in sports and I agree with them. It was a shame that Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe came out in support of transgender (male to female) athletes competing in woman's sports. Note this was after they retired.

Once again, nothing against individuals who are transgender (male to female in this case) but at times nature and biology do rear their heads. It is just a scientific fact that biological males have larger lungs, more muscle mass, are bigger, stronger etc etc. Do we all wish that we could make it a level playing field for competing women and transgender women? Of course. But science and biology will always dictate that it is not possible.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
You might like Carrboro as well as Durham, OP. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-16-2023, 12:41 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Pretty much the core cities of the Triangle will remain a sea a blue in a purple state that's gerrymandered to give the maximum power to red.

I don't think we can take that as a given anymore. Mark Robinson, the likely GOP candidate for governor in 2024, is on record as saying this is a Christian state in a Christian nation, and in 2013 the GOP here introduced a bill that would allow the legislature to declare a state religion. (There is nothing in the Constitution that directly disallows this on a state level, unfortunately, and I believe at some point some state (probably Kansas, because of this: https://kansasreflector.com/2023/05/...ive-sanctuary/) will be a test case about this.

If the Kansas theocrats prevail, and our legislature (which is gerrymandered into permanent power no thanks to those Democrats who stayed home in 2010 and 2012 because they were disappointed with Obama) were to decide to follow suit, there will be no blue enclaves allowed.

It seems far-fetched, but so does a lot of what's going on right now.

What I would say to the OP is "Come on down! We need you! Maybe rent first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary