Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 09:32 AM

70 posts, read 52,706 times

Advertisements

Not to pry but if education is extremely important because your kids need assistance or have a learning disability etc., NC is not the place. Search how educators are treated in the State and not all here can get a quality education so there is a bit of backwards thinking at the core. We sold out of Apex for a host of reasons and the biggest curse for the Town was that Money Mag ranking back in 2015. One last think to consider is that the area does not have ample services such as EMS,fire etc., or financial assistance if you lose your job or have a major illness. Coming from NY that should factor in as you are own in NC in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 10:25 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I can't remember where you're from on LI. If you're willing to share (or even give a general area) ...it can really depend on if something will feel too rural for you.

We are on county schools here. I would not get too hung up on a specific school for a number of reasons (re districting, changes in leadership). I will tell you that although I can be hard on the schools here, my youngest attends a private university here in NC that draws a HUGE number of their students from the northeast and she's not impressed with their education... to say the least. So there's that.

Inventory is not going to loosen here. It was tight when we moved here in 2010 and it was tight when a lot of my neighbors were moved here in 2004 with Fidelity. Pick an area you like, rent for a year and hope you find a house in the same school zone when you buy.

CHapel Hill is one of a few districts in the state that is not by county. THere have been complaints nonetheless - you can search the forum.

If you work from home and your wife doesn't work, FV won't really feel remote. THe problem is that it's growing like crazy and if they do as poor a job as Holly Springs did you'll be miserable. Go to HS and you will feel like you're on LI with the gridlock.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:19 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
I have seen it repeatedly stated that Durham and its surroundings don't have near the family oriented amenities as the Cary/Apex area.
That's bullhonkey. Like what exactly?

Old 05-29-2023, 12:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Check out North Raleigh near Stonehenge or Leesville. The schools are good and you’ll be close to amenities like Target and Whole Foods.

My friend lives in Crosswinds, but lots of little neighborhoods in there with a fun neighborhood pool.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:43 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Is Southern Pines/Pinehurst too far out of your desired area? SP is about an hour from Raleigh airport. Its a super cute family town.

I know a delightful agent there, if you need one.

Old 05-29-2023, 01:05 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northport70 View Post
Not to pry but if education is extremely important because your kids need assistance or have a learning disability etc., NC is not the place. Search how educators are treated in the State and not all here can get a quality education so there is a bit of backwards thinking at the core. We sold out of Apex for a host of reasons and the biggest curse for the Town was that Money Mag ranking back in 2015. One last think to consider is that the area does not have ample services such as EMS,fire etc., or financial assistance if you lose your job or have a major illness. Coming from NY that should factor in as you are own in NC in some ways.
Can't agree with this more. Our son is on the spectrum with a learning disability and past the earliest grades did not get nearly enough help, and was actually unfairly punished many times in middle school. And get this- because he was a little too talkative in math he was put-not in the front of the room- but in the back! And he has a specific learning disability in math.
No assistance at all, beyond a study hall, in HS. I pulled him out and homeschooled him.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:00 PM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I can't remember where you're from on LI. If you're willing to share (or even give a general area) ...it can really depend on if something will feel too rural for you.
You could say I'm in the Syosset area.

LI is a mess. I spent 20 years prior in CA(I'm not a born and bred LIer) so on top of everything else here, the broken infrastructure we're surrounded by is also something I simply hate.

I would guess complaints about traffic down there still aren't near what we deal with up here.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:19 PM

OK, I'm from Huntington and moved here from western Nassau (a/k/a, now - Queens East)...whether you will like places like Garner, Clayton and even Fuquay is not something anyone can answer for you. And being perfectly honest, sometimes it's not so much that the area is rural, it's that the mindset is still rural - maybe somewhat similar to parts of the east end of LI.

On a micro level, anywhere you move in the area will have all the things you're used to - activities for the kids (rec leagues, travel leagues, parks system, better greenways than you'll find on Long Island, piano lessons, band orchestra, drama, whatever your kids are interested in etc). The schools can be viewed in different lights - no advanced degree is required here and sometimes it shows. On the other hand, parental involvement in the schools is much more welcomed here than I ever found it on LI. Do not come here planning on private school, they can't build them fast enough here and unestablished schools can become a hotbed for inexperienced teachers, even people who have no degree in education at all. Pay close attention if you are able to even get into one.

Not sure it appeals to you, but homeschooling is fairly popular here and growing. There are a lot of coops and support for it.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:41 PM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OK, I'm from Huntington and moved here from western Nassau (a/k/a, now - Queens East)...whether you will like places like Garner, Clayton and even Fuquay is not something anyone can answer for you. And being perfectly honest, sometimes it's not so much that the area is rural, it's that the mindset is still rural - maybe somewhat similar to parts of the east end of LI.
We would prefer not to have our kids grow up too rural. Want other families, activities, parks, pools, shopping, a neighborhood feel.

Very low inventory in Cary right now. The concerns about traffic on 55 out of Holy Springs are very real. And only look to be getting worse. I might WFH but I like to get out a lot. Plus young kids. And I may rent a office space co-op somewhere just because I can go crazy at home.

Any thoughts on East Apex? Near Midde Creek Park. A few houses there available in our range. Will be close to the 540 expansion. Can avoid 55. Can even swing over to the Costco off 401.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:14 PM

Make sure you see how far you are from 540 and test the noise level in West Cary neighborhoods that are established near it. Otherwise it’s a fine area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary