Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times

Advertisements

We are retired couple hoping to look for home in Durham-Chapel Hill area. Ideal would be mix of retirees and families. Also on the wish list a neighborhood pool. Would like a fairly established neighborhood with a lot of trees. We don’t like clearcut cookie cutter look or skinny tall houses on tiny lots. Walking trails in neighborhood or close by would be great. We would like to be a short drive for shopping, restaurants, groceries, and a reasonable distance from UNC, Duke, and downtown Durham. We want a SFH rather than townhome or condo and would like to stay around 800k or less. Treyburn and Governor’s Club are too far out although beautiful. South Durham looks like it may meet most of these needs. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for neighborhoods. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 10:52 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaluck View Post
We are retired couple hoping to look for home in Durham-Chapel Hill area. Ideal would be mix of retirees and families. Also on the wish list a neighborhood pool. Would like a fairly established neighborhood with a lot of trees. We don’t like clearcut cookie cutter look or skinny tall houses on tiny lots. Walking trails in neighborhood or close by would be great. We would like to be a short drive for shopping, restaurants, groceries, and a reasonable distance from UNC, Duke, and downtown Durham. We want a SFH rather than townhome or condo and would like to stay around 800k or less. Treyburn and Governor’s Club are too far out although beautiful. South Durham looks like it may meet most of these needs. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for neighborhoods. Thank you so much.
You have honestly described Woodcroft in South Durham almost to a T here. And you would not need to spend near $800k to get a nicely updated home there. Could comfortably be found under $650k. Homes there do however more often than not become quite competitive; this has been the case even before the post-covid boom.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,680 times
Stoneridge/Sedgefield, just north of Chapel Hill along Whitfield Rd. Community pool, Duke Forest to on one side, Triangle Land Conservancy's Johnson Mill trails on the other. All custom homes built in 1980s, forested neighborhood, in rural buffer so septic systems mean 1+ acre lots. Usually around 5-8 homes go up for sale a year, so you have to be patient to see one come up.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:24 PM

362 posts, read 224,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaluck View Post
We are retired couple hoping to look for home in Durham-Chapel Hill area. Ideal would be mix of retirees and families.
Chapel Hill & Carrboro do not have that. It is mostly very young and single people with no children in tow. There are a few retirement oriented communities (probably due to the hospital), but Chapel Hill & Carrboro are not oriented towards seniors at all. Everything is a short drive, yes, but parking is difficult to come by and you're almost certainly going to have to walk a bit if its in downtown. Something to consider if you have or anticipate having mobility issues.

Quote:
Also on the wish list a neighborhood pool. Would like a fairly established neighborhood with a lot of trees. We don’t like clearcut cookie cutter look or skinny tall houses on tiny lots. Walking trails in neighborhood or close by would be great.
Sounds like Fearrington Village to me. It used to be mostly retirees but now there is a good mix of retirees and families. Plenty of options for grocery shopping nearby and places to eat. Walking trails throughout the neighborhood.

Quote:
We would like to be a short drive for shopping, restaurants, groceries, and a reasonable distance from UNC, Duke, and downtown Durham. We want a SFH rather than townhome or condo and would like to stay around 800k or less. Treyburn and Governor’s Club are too far out although beautiful. South Durham looks like it may meet most of these needs. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for neighborhoods. Thank you so much.
Governor's Club is too far out from what...downtown? Its not a far drive to get to any of those things from there. You aren't going to find established neighborhoods with decent size lots and mature trees that are more proximate to a downtown than GC. Its a 10-15 minute drive to DT Chapel Hill or Southpoint Mall.

You should also know that rezoning is an issue in Chapel Hill and maybe in Durham as well. Areas zoned for SFH are under pressure from local politicians and the developers who fund them to allow mixed use and taller buildings. Worth looking into with your real estate agent.

You might want to look into Downing Creek and Falconbridge neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:33 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Chapel Hill & Carrboro do not have that. It is mostly very young and single people with no children in tow. There are a few retirement oriented communities (probably due to the hospital), but Chapel Hill & Carrboro are not oriented towards seniors at all. Everything is a short drive, yes, but parking is difficult to come by and you're almost certainly going to have to walk a bit if its in downtown. Something to consider if you have or anticipate having mobility issues.

Sounds like Fearrington Village to me. It used to be mostly retirees but now there is a good mix of retirees and families. Plenty of options for grocery shopping nearby and places to eat. Walking trails throughout the neighborhood.

Governor's Club is too far out from what...downtown? Its not a far drive to get to any of those things from there. You aren't going to find established neighborhoods with decent size lots and mature trees that are more proximate to a downtown than GC. Its a 10-15 minute drive to DT Chapel Hill or Southpoint Mall.

You should also know that rezoning is an issue in Chapel Hill and maybe in Durham as well. Areas zoned for SFH are under pressure from local politicians and the developers who fund them to allow mixed use and taller buildings. Worth looking into with your real estate agent.

You might want to look into Downing Creek and Falconbridge neighborhoods.
Surely this is a joke no?

Families with kids and retirees are the bulk of CH residential population outside the University students.

If anything, the Young Professionals crowd is by far the smallest contingency of the population of CH...

I say this as a former member of the Young Professionals group for CH Chamber of Commerce....we had slim pickins; most of the board members actually lived in Durham.

That being said; I still think Woodcroft or Garrett Farms areas of Durham would offer most of what OP is looking for best. The Estes Hills area of Chapel Hill may potentially fit as well but would seriously stretch the budget.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Families with kids and retirees are the bulk of CH residential population outside the University students.

If anything, the Young Professionals crowd is by far the smallest contingency of the population of CH...

I say this as a former member of the Young Professionals group for CH Chamber of Commerce....we had slim pickins; most of the board members actually lived in Durham.

That being said; I still think Woodcroft or Garrett Farms areas of Durham would offer most of what OP is looking for best. The Estes Hills area of Chapel Hill may potentially fit as well but would seriously stretch the budget.
No it isn't a joke, Nick. You just misread what I stated and imbued your own meaning into it.

There isn't a reality that I'm aware of in which the college students don't exist. Unless UNC is wiped off the map tomorrow we will always have a population heavily weighted towards the 18-23 age group. If you want a good mix of families with kids and older people, Chapel Hill isn't that. Those folks are living in Briar Chapel.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:56 PM

563 posts, read 955,796 times
TarHeelNick is going you good advice. I would recommend focusing on that.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:54 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

No neighborhood pool, but a never ending (well, I know it will end someday, but who knows when) road project.

I'd listen to TarHeel Nick's advice.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
No neighborhood pool, but a never ending (well, I know it will end someday, but who knows when) road project.

I'd listen to TarHeel Nick's advice.
Chapel Hill's median age is 26 years old. (Per City Data)
Durham 34.5
Cary 39.2
Raleigh 34.5
NC average 39.1

The top five youngest municipalities in NC are: Elon, Chapel Hill, Greenville, Boone, and Carrboro. By any measure, its one of the least age diverse places in the state. Nick often has good insights, but he's wrong on this one, and so are you and Jackie.

I'd also say Cary is a good place, short of being very close to Durham/Chapel Hill for a good mix of ages, shopping, etc. I'm curious why the OP needs to be close to both NC and Duke as a retiree, because both hospitals have satellite offices throughout the Triangle. Both cities are moving away from the type of housing the OP is looking for, and I think that's the biggest obstacle in finding a house. If it was either Duke or UNC, OP could easily find a house to meet his/her needs in either Northern Durham county (or Hillsborough) or Chatham County. Both locations are a short drive to their respective universities & hospitals, but the only way to be close to both is somewhere in between. As far as I can tell, the only things being built between South Square and UNC are multi-story condos and apartments. Residents in the Colony Woods neighborhood of Chapel Hill are outraged over development proposals that will bring multistory dwellings into a historically SFH neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,127 times
May I introduce you to the Seymour Senior Center in Chapel Hill. https://www.orangecountync.gov/236/S...enter-Programs. It's big, it's active, and the parking lot is usually full. They have a bus that runs between the Seymour Center in CH and the Passmore Center in Hillsborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary