Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 11:33 AM

360 posts, read 223,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I use them for all my inspections. I don't know what type of internet connection they have (I believe you if you say it's Dial-up) but I can say I've been using them for 10+ years and it's always been fast and efficient, once I'm in the bay they have me out within 10-15 minutes. Never been denied for a broken machine, once they were closed due to staffing during the pandemic, but that's the only issue ever.

They also refill propane for a decent price and quick service. I usually use Costco because it's super-cheap, but if I don't feel like driving all the way to six forks, they are my back-up option.

OP: As stated above, I've never experienced an issue with the machines, I've been an NC Driver since 1983.
It took the 10-15 minutes you were in the bay for the inspection to be processed through the dial up system. Waiting on the connection takes longer than putting the vehicle on a lift. Shops make almost nothing on inspections. It's around $13 per each. The inspection bay is the least profitable in the entire shop. Anytime you suggest repairs to an inspection only customer, you're asking for an argument.

The state requires the connection to be over dial up. This was as recently as last year. It would be interesting to know why that requirement exists. One can speculate though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 12:16 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
There are now a couple of analyzer models certified for broadband connections, with a couple more in beta testing. The issue was that the old analyzer hardware certified 15 years ago couldn't deal with modern data speeds.

https://www.deq.nc.gov/about/divisio...or-information

https://www.deq.nc.gov/about/divisio...ication-status

Old 06-21-2023, 12:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
... Shops make almost nothing on inspections. It's around $13 per each.
From https://www.deq.nc.gov/about/divisio...information#G4
Quote:
How much does an emissions inspection cost?
The maximum annual fee for the motor vehicle emissions inspection and safety inspection is $30, however, inspection stations can charge less.
​​Vehicles with applications of after‐factory window tinting must be checked, at an additional charge of $10 during a North Carolina safety inspection to ensure they meet specifications set by the state in G.S. 20-127).
In most cases the inspection fee (in Wake County) is $30.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:20 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
It took the 10-15 minutes you were in the bay for the inspection to be processed through the dial up system. Waiting on the connection takes longer than putting the vehicle on a lift.
That has not been my experience. I am not doubting it was yours, but I think (hope) it was an exception and not the norm. Like I said, I've never really had a problem when I go to the dedicated inspection stations.

I use the one on Kildaire at Cary Pkwy, next to the Animal Hospital. (Quality Inspections, I think...)
^They get a lot of people through there, and I see them move through quickly and consistently.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:35 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
The maximum fee is $30 for safety and emissions inspection, with $6.25 of that going to the state.

Safety-only inspections are a fixed $13.60, with $0.85 of that going to the state.

And yes, after-factory tint checks are supposed to be an additional $10.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:58 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Texas just joined 7 other states in abolishing annual vehicle safety inspections. I wish NC would do the same. Emissions inspections are another matter and I support those in the metro areas.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That has not been my experience. I am not doubting it was yours, but I think (hope) it was an exception and not the norm. Like I said, I've never really had a problem when I go to the dedicated inspection stations.

I use the one on Kildaire at Cary Pkwy, next to the Animal Hospital. (Quality Inspections, I think...)
^They get a lot of people through there, and I see them move through quickly and consistently.
I'm not trying to change opinions. I'm sharing my first-hand experience having seen hundreds of inspections processed. It took just as long at the independent shop as it did at the dealership. If the connection times out, which is common with dial-up, the time is doubled.

When you consider that most reputable shops are booked up at least a week out, and that inspections are a huge hassle for minimal compensation, I'm surprised we don't hear more "the machine is broken" stories; just like how the Frosty machine is always down at Wendy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin
From https://www.deq.nc.gov/about/divisio...information#G4
Quote:
How much does an emissions inspection cost?
The maximum annual fee for the motor vehicle emissions inspection and safety inspection is $30, however, inspection stations can charge less.
​​Vehicles with applications of after‐factory window tinting must be checked, at an additional charge of $10 during a North Carolina safety inspection to ensure they meet specifications set by the state in G.S. 20-127).
In most cases the inspection fee (in Wake County) is $30.
It's around $13 for a standard safety inspection in NC. If your county has additional emissions regulations then it will be more, but most do not require it (mine does not).

Old 06-21-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Texas just joined 7 other states in abolishing annual vehicle safety inspections. I wish NC would do the same. Emissions inspections are another matter and I support those in the metro areas.
North Carolina is raking in the big bucks on "safety" inspections that don't create safer roads. I have seen countless vehicles that aren't truly safe be approved because they checked all of the arbitrary boxes the State requires. Our legislators haven't met a tax that they don't approve of. The personal property tax on vehicles that had the sales tax paid multiple times over, decades ago really gets me upset.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:26 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Meanwhile I went to the dealership last week and was able to get an appointment very easily and it only took 30 minutes.....

For them to then essentially hold me hostage after vehicle failed inspection because the tread on one of the tires was too low.... $1100 and four new "premium tier" tires (conveniently the only ones they had in stock) later...wouldn't you know it I was able to renew...

Definitely going to a jiffy-lube next year.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Meanwhile I went to the dealership last week and was able to get an appointment very easily and it only took 30 minutes.....

For them to then essentially hold me hostage after vehicle failed inspection because the tread on one of the tires was too low.... $1100 and four new "premium tier" tires (conveniently the only ones they had in stock) later...wouldn't you know it I was able to renew...

Definitely going to a jiffy-lube next year.
I'm assuming you have an all-wheel drive vehicle, otherwise there's no reason to sell you a new set. In addition, for your tire to have caused a failed inspection, it must've been completely shot. It has to be consecutive tread bars below 2/32nds tread (which is basically nothing and not really safe). If the steel belts are poking through on the edges of the tire and a blowout is imminent, it will still pass inspection as long as its not consecutive tread bars. Would I drive it down the road? Hell no!

Dealerships have tires in stock because they only carry tires for the vehicles they sell. If you did indeed need tire(s), Jiffy Lube would have had to order them and would've waited even longer. You could have gotten cheaper set but you get what you pay for 100% with tires. Cheap tires have poor quality control and balance poorly.

There's no reason to hold you hostage though. If you failed the inspection at the dealership, you aren't required to have the vehicle re-inspected at the same location. Did they try to give you a hard time about your powertrain warranty if you didn't get 4 new tires?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary