Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 08:07 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Starglow is anti-EV, so it makes sense once you realize this.

No....I'm not anti-EV although personally I'll never buy one, but they do cost more to repair after an accident or get totaled out completely which in turn drives up insurance rate costs for everyone. Insurance companies aren't in business to lose money otherwise they'll go out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
Same situ with us at AMICA 3 wk ago. I called to ask why such a big jump answer was NC okd rate increase. I say but my newest car is a 2015, we both retired and drive abt 40 miles a wk combined. Not any tickets ever and last accident 30 yr ago not our fault. She got it lowered quite a bit. Why not raise the rates on the BAD drivers? Why do I have to pay for their careless driving or brand new cars?

She might have reduced the daily use mileage which can lower the premium cost, but make sure she did not increase your deductible amount and/or make other policy changes without telling you just to get your premiums lower. If it dropped significantly then I'd be asking questions about what they did to get there or carefully review your revised insurance policy documents you should have received after the rate change.

Old 06-28-2023, 09:12 AM

361 posts, read 223,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Starglow is anti-EV, so it makes sense once you realize this.
Are NBC News and Reuters also "anti-EV"?

Old 06-28-2023, 09:42 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/06/te...ockingly-high/

Tesla Owner’s $23K Rear End Collision Bill Shows EV Repairs Can Be Shockingly High

Earlier this year, Reuters reported on a study by two major salvage companies that found a “vast majority” of Tesla Model Ys that were totaled with less than 10,000 miles on the odometer. Another big issue with some Teslas specifically, namely, their integrated battery packs. Should one of those be damaged, there’s no way to repair it which means it goes straight to the salvage lot.
Tesla refuses to repair those, there are 3rd parties who will attempt battery and other EV repairs. Rich Rebuilds (Benoit) built his whole Youtube presence around rebuilding a totaled Tesla and has now founded a chain of shops that works on electric vehicles (Electrified Garage).

Battery Repair: https://youtu.be/T7Q0nNkQTCo

Old 06-28-2023, 09:47 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
No....I'm not anti-EV although personally I'll never buy one, but they do cost more to repair after an accident or get totaled out completely which in turn drives up insurance rate costs for everyone. Insurance companies aren't in business to lose money otherwise they'll go out of business.
I don't want to get into the debate about what you are for or against, as I think you are the person most qualified to state that.

I think that the examples you gave were specific to certain car makers who happen to be EV's, but not to EV's in general, hence my confusion and that of others. Generally speaking, I think if you compare apples to apples, repair costs are not significantly more, and it is well established that maintenance costs for EV's are significantly lower than their ICE coutnerparts. (just less to maintain is the reason).

By apples to apples, I think if you compared replacing a rear bumper on a Chevy Volt vs Chevy Malibu, that you'd get a more accurate comparison. Rivians and Teslas are mostly considered to be higher-end vehicles, so the related repair costs would also be higher.

TL/DR: The reason they are totaled is not because they are electric, or because "electric cars cost more to fix". It is because they are Rivians and Teslas, and "Rivians and Teslas come in at higher price points for the car, the parts and the repairs."

A better comparison would be to compare a Rivian vs a Porche or Ferrari. And then "yes", higher costs lead to higher rates for everyone...

Old 06-28-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't want to get into the debate about what you are for or against, as I think you are the person most qualified to state that.

I think that the examples you gave were specific to certain car makers who happen to be EV's, but not to EV's in general, hence my confusion and that of others. Generally speaking, I think if you compare apples to apples, repair costs are not significantly more, and it is well established that maintenance costs for EV's are significantly lower than their ICE coutnerparts. (just less to maintain is the reason).

By apples to apples, I think if you compared replacing a rear bumper on a Chevy Volt vs Chevy Malibu, that you'd get a more accurate comparison. Rivians and Teslas are mostly considered to be higher-end vehicles, so the related repair costs would also be higher.

TL/DR: The reason they are totaled is not because they are electric, or because "electric cars cost more to fix". It is because they are Rivians and Teslas, and "Rivians and Teslas come in at higher price points for the car, the parts and the repairs."

A better comparison would be to compare a Rivian vs a Porche or Ferrari. And then "yes", higher costs lead to higher rates for everyone...
The bolded is the "net" result regardless of whatever comparisons you want to make. Insurance companies aren't in business to lose money, so they'll either increase rates to cover their costs or will stop writing new policies altogether, which we're already seeing with homeowners insurance in some parts of the country. There's nothing stopping them from doing the same with automotive insurance if their losses are too high in certain states.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:34 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,854,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Not exactly a local issue, but most people here didn't expect to pay NYC insurance rates either. It's annoying as hell and nobody has time or the energy to do mundane things, but email/call other companies once in a while for your auto insurance rate quotes.

Been with Geico for 6 years, no accidents, no speeding tickets, nothing - slowly the rates kept increasing from $500/6 months for 2 cars to now almost $700/6 months for 2 cars in this latest renewal coming up for July 1. Called State Farm and it's now back to my $500/6 months with the same coverage and same (now older) vehicles.

The more loyal customers lose, so make sure you check since many of you are on auto renewal on the credit card and don't check!
Part of the problem is that Geico has a HUGE advertising budget, just like Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, etc.

I've been with my independent agent since the summer of 2000, and he has always come through with great rates, even when I had teenagers on my insurance. He writes both the auto policy and the homeowners policy for me, and I could not be happier. We have had one homeowner's claim, and one auto claim in those 23 years, and he handled them quickly and efficiently. He's a longtime Raleigh resident, and too young to retire...haha!

Send me a DM if you'd like his contact info.

Old 07-01-2023, 05:38 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,891 times
Quote:
She might have reduced the daily use mileage which can lower the premium cost, but make sure she did not increase your deductible amount and/or make other policy changes without telling you just to get your premiums lower. If it dropped significantly then I'd be asking questions about what they did to get there or carefully review your revised insurance policy documents you should have received after the rate change.

She left deductible same, raising it 500 to 1000 was less than $5 savings so we left it. Yes she reported we no longer work so daily miles reduced. We also had been paying monthly and went to bi-annual payments that significantly dropped cost.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 211 times
Thanks !

Old 07-03-2023, 08:32 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Anecdotally, I was rear-ended, car was drivable, but ended up being totaled out at 32k because repair costs have gotten so out of control (and parts could not even be sourced). I hate to think about what insurance rates will be in a few years if this is typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: