Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2023, 09:32 AM

714 posts, read 724,841 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had double-hung replacement windows installed in the last two years? If so...
1) What kind of windows were installed (brand and line of window)?
2) Who did you hire to install them?
3) Did you get the kind that tilt-in for cleaning?
4) Were you happy with the installers (timeliness, quality of work)?
3) Are you happy with the windows?

Last edited by hackwriter; 07-08-2023 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 09:53 AM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
We went with Window World, after getting 4 quotes. June 2021.

They were easily the most affordable, and were willing to tackle some custom work. Very open to working with my siding and existing window wraps.
No regrets at all.
I like the warranty.
Easy double hung tilting.

I used to sell replacement windows. There is a lot of puffery and hogwash in window sales. A whole lot.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:03 PM

4,182 posts, read 4,900,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Has anyone had double-hung replacement windows installed in the last two years? If so...
1) What kind of windows were installed (brand and line of window)?
2) Who did you hire to install them?
3) Did you get the kind that tilt-in for cleaning?
4) Were you happy with the installers (timeliness, quality of work)?
3) Are you happy with the windows?

Many different factors go into new window selection:
1) What is the age and overall condition of your current home?
2) Do you have any large windows that can radiate heat or cold into the structure?
3) Is the home in a more upscale neighborhood and/or have HOA requirements for new windows?
4) How long do you plan to live in the home?
5) What is your anticipated budget to spend?

I also used Window World many moons ago and they have held up well except for some unexplained staining of the plastic and some windows no longer open/close as easy as they used to when new. I would say they're not the top of the line windows but if you live in an average home and are on a tight budget then they're not a bad choice. If you live in a more upscale neighborhood and want higher end quality then you'll be looking at Anderson windows or similar, however you'll pay 3-4x the price of Window World.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:50 PM

714 posts, read 724,841 times
1) House is in SW Durham. Was built in 1980; was fully renovated/flipped in 2011. Heat pump, roof, water heater all replaced in the last 5 years and piers put into the crawl.
2) All the windows are 5' tall. There is a big picture window in one room.
3) Houses in the neighborhood have been selling for $450K-480K and there is no HOA.
4) I hope to live in the house for 5-7 more years.
5) There are 18 windows plus a big picture window that has double-hungs on both sides. I'm hoping to do this for ~20K-ish.

I don't want Andersen. Local reviews are terrible, and I don't like the way their tilt-wash feature works. It has tabs that you have to pull down, then use brute force to yank the windows open. I put Andersen new construction windows in my old house and I was afraid to tilt them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Many different factors go into new window selection:
1) What is the age and overall condition of your current home?
2) Do you have any large windows that can radiate heat or cold into the structure?
3) Is the home in a more upscale neighborhood and/or have HOA requirements for new windows?
4) How long do you plan to live in the home?
5) What is your anticipated budget to spend?

I also used Window World many moons ago and they have held up well except for some unexplained staining of the plastic and some windows no longer open/close as easy as they used to when new. I would say they're not the top of the line windows but if you live in an average home and are on a tight budget then they're not a bad choice. If you live in a more upscale neighborhood and want higher end quality then you'll be looking at Anderson windows or similar, however you'll pay 3-4x the price of Window World.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:32 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,833,557 times
We've used Window World in two different houses we've owned and have been very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: