Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2023, 09:20 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Building 20x16 sized deck on the back of our single-story ranch house. We had one there but it was all rotted so tore it down last month. I would like to add a screened-in porch on it.

Not looking to add anything too fancy or tie into the existing roof (Come right off the soffit I am thinking). I have investigated those sandwiched between aluminum sheets 3" of insulation panel roofs with aluminum posts type of kits. Also considering hiring someone who specializes in that as well. I'm pretty handy and a good DIY'er but if I can have someone else do it for a little more, I might go that route.

Any recommendations for either a DIY kit or a reputable installer you all have used? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 09:28 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You can't hang it off the soffit and make it structurally sound. Soffit is not intended to carry an added roof load.

And... Sorry. I don't have a referral. There are lots of names, but the good ones are so busy they often drop the ball unintentionally.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:34 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Hi all, Building 20x16 sized deck on the back of our single-story ranch house. We had one there but it was all rotted so tore it down last month. I would like to add a screened-in porch on it.

Not looking to add anything too fancy or tie into the existing roof (Come right off the soffit I am thinking). I have investigated those sandwiched between aluminum sheets 3" of insulation panel roofs with aluminum posts type of kits. Also considering hiring someone who specializes in that as well. I'm pretty handy and a good DIY'er but if I can have someone else do it for a little more, I might go that route.

Any recommendations for either a DIY kit or a reputable installer you all have used? Thx.

One of my neighbors did exactly the same thing. Their old deck was torn down and a new deck with aluminum screenroom was built from the ground up. My property faces the rear of their house so I have no idea which company they used since I would not have seen any front yard signs. I actually have a sunroom on my house with the 3" aluminum roof but the company I used is no longer in business. The 3" roof panels are walk-able and quiet during rainstorms, but thinner aluminum panels are not walk-able and are very noisy when it rains. There are lots of companies in the area that build these rooms..probably more now then back when I had mine built. You can order DIY kits online...this is one website of many: https://screen-house.com/screenroom_...ason_walls.htm Check with your local building department regarding any permitting and code inspection requirements because otherwise they can make you tear it down without proper permitting.

Last edited by Starglow; 07-24-2023 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 05:48 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You can't hang it off the soffit and make it structurally sound. Soffit is not intended to carry an added roof load.

And... Sorry. I don't have a referral. There are lots of names, but the good ones are so busy they often drop the ball unintentionally.

For a traditional wood framed screenroom roof structure you are correct. But aluminum screenroom roof structures are light weight and use a "U" shaped header channel that can hang from the front fascia without any issues and meets code requirements.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
There have been several threads on this subject. Use the Search this Forum facility to find them.

This is my recommendation:

Deck, Sunroom & Porch Raleigh-Durham Builders | Structurally Speaking

Jim Brennan, owner of Structurally Speaking, does fine work as a designer and employs only one well-experienced construction crew. He built screened porches for two relatives. In both cases the finished product was superb. Brennan isn't the lowest price guy but not the highest either.

A word of caution: the structure suitable for a deck might not be adequate to support a screened porch. Plan ahead!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary