Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 04:39 PM

323 posts, read 257,677 times

Advertisements

Good news that may signal the district has turned the post Covid corner.

Even more interesting is that Glenwood South only had a 2% increase while downtown proper had a huge 65% pop in sales.

Additionally, 16 new storefronts are coming online soon:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...d-drink-sales/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,884,531 times
I only go to downtown Raleigh for jury duty, but otherwise I stay far away.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:18 PM

379 posts, read 206,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Are you afraid of downtown Raleigh? Or, are you frequently serving on jury duty?

Old 07-27-2023, 06:38 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I feel like my sister's kids were there throughout the pandemic lol. At any rate, it is a happening scene.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:50 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Are you afraid of downtown Raleigh?
Our biggest concern on going to DT Raleigh is the lack of free and convenient parking. Seems each of the pay lots/meters forces you to use their app and everyone has a different one.

Some of the lots seem to operate like the predatory towing companies, looking like they have free after-hours parking, only to hit you with a parking ticket.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Good news that may signal the district has turned the post Covid corner.

Even more interesting is that Glenwood South only had a 2% increase while downtown proper had a huge 65% pop in sales.

Additionally, 16 new storefronts are coming online soon:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...d-drink-sales/
Glenwood South didn't have as much ground to make up. It's been kicking strong for a good while now. I think that the CBD had taken a deeper pandemic hit for a longer period time.

Clarification: Glenwood South is an official district of downtown, making it downtown proper. I suppose when you talk about "downtown proper", you may be referring to the Fayetteville Street District?

Old 07-27-2023, 10:06 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Our biggest concern on going to DT Raleigh is the lack of free and convenient parking. Seems each of the pay lots/meters forces you to use their app and everyone has a different one.

Some of the lots seem to operate like the predatory towing companies, looking like they have free after-hours parking, only to hit you with a parking ticket.
That's on you for not researching where the free or cheaper state/city parking lots are?

City (free after 7 PM, all day weekends except during special events): https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.co..._2_2023-R2.pdf

State (free after 5 PM weekdays, all day weekends): https://ncadmin.nc.gov/divisions/sta...te-parking-map

If you're willing to walk a few blocks, it's so easy to park downtown.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:31 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you're willing to walk a few blocks, it's so easy to park downtown.
In 100+ degree heat index, I prefer NOT to have to walk a few blocks. There are plenty of great restaurants in Cary, Apex, North Raleigh, etc that have ample free parking readily available. No need to do research before heading out for a bite.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:23 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Our biggest concern on going to DT Raleigh is the lack of free and convenient parking.
That's valid. Probably a lot more risky that shoplifting at Taz's.

Quote:
In 100+ degree heat index, I prefer NOT to have to walk a few blocks. There are plenty of great restaurants in Cary, Apex, North Raleigh, etc that have ample free parking readily available. No need to do research before heading out for a bite.
Well, we all know that I agree with you that Cary has a lot to offer, but there are a lot of great places in DT Raleigh too. The 100+ days are only for a short part of the year. I also avoid DT on days where weather of any type will negatively impact my experience, but (especially) in the spring and fall, I personally see the walkability of DT as a plus, not a minus.

I've posted before about my "app-hopping" date nights. To each their own, and all of that, but I agree with Pierre, parking is easy in DT. A few bucks for a parking deck, or sometimes you get lucky and find street parking for after hours, and it's free.

Parking has never held me back, but to your point, weather has on a few occasions.

Glad to see DT starting to boom again. (And I personally don't enjoy Glenwood South, I think it has problems that are well documented, and a lot of people don't love it. I think it appeals more to the younger, party-crew people. That ship sailed for me a long time ago, and let me tell you, I did my time on that shop.)

Old 07-27-2023, 06:09 PM

323 posts, read 257,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Hopefully you'll at least get some donuts and coffee there between convictions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary