Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,714 times

Advertisements

I am glad the tourism industry is doing well. It brings $30 billion a year spending in the NYC economy and 1 in 9 people in NYC depend on these jobs.

The Canadian Press: NYC on track to host record number of visitors in 2010, breaking 2008 record

Quote:
City officials said preliminary tourism data show New York is on course to surpass its 2008 record of 47 million visitors and reach 47.5 million this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 PM

45 posts, read 99,381 times
I hate tourists.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
I hate tourists.
I'd like to take this opportunity to cancel your vote. I love tourists; we can't have enough of 'em!

During the years I worked as a conductor for MTA, the heavy tourist seasons were my favorite times of the year. Tourists on the subway are everything New Yorkers aren't.

Also, a lot of New Yorkers don't realize this, but we're often the only ones who complain about our city. To people from everywhere else, this place comes pretty close to being magic; in their eyes, it isn't far removed from the Emerald City of Oz. And that goes double for tourists from overseas.

I once worked at a publishing house that brought in interns from Germany during the summer. I'll tell you without any hint of exaggeration, those kids were outright jealous that we could call NYC home, and they were only visiting.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
I hate tourists.

I hate tourists too...especially when im tryin to cross the street and theres like 600 of them blocking me cuz the dont walk sign is on meanwhile theres not a car in sight

Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
This surprised even me...I thought for sure tourists would drop this year..but I guess people are keeping it domestic. I suspect this has a lot to do with the decrease in crime (perceived or real), as well as Bloomberg's commitment to make NYC a place for all American's to enjoy and adding great amenities for NYers to enjoy (like all the trees, plazas, bike lanes, open waterfronts, etc). I don't love tourists, but they are one part of our diverse economy....you don't want to rely solely on wall st for money right? Then you should understand tourism's role in our economy (and the national/global economy as well).

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM

244 posts, read 568,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'd like to take this opportunity to cancel your vote. I love tourists; we can't have enough of 'em!

During the years I worked as a conductor for MTA, the heavy tourist seasons were my favorite times of the year. Tourists on the subway are everything New Yorkers aren't.

Also, a lot of New Yorkers don't realize this, but we're often the only ones who complain about our city. To people from everywhere else, this place comes pretty close to being magic; in their eyes, it isn't far removed from the Emerald City of Oz. And that goes double for tourists from overseas.

I once worked at a publishing house that brought in interns from Germany during the summer. I'll tell you without any hint of exaggeration, those kids were outright jealous that we could call NYC home, and they were only visiting.
Tourists do love NYC.

It's always voted "Favorite City" in all the travel polls conducted by major travel publications.

TRIPADVISOR SURVEY REVEALS NEW YORK CITY AS AMERICA'S FAVORITE CITY, BUT TRAVELERS THROW DETROIT UNDER THE SUV

New York Tops Travel + Leisure's "Best Cities" Rankings | NBC New York

NYers complain too much. Tourists bring lots of money into NYC.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM

939 posts, read 2,312,143 times
every single one of those 47 million tourists have gotten in my way

Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
As the old cliche goes, do the math. 47 million tourists...nobody comes to New York on a vacation without spending money. Figure each one of those people spending a few hundred (if not a few thousand) dollars while here. Now whip out the calculator. 47 million times a few hundred (or thousand). Let's face it: the city doesn't have a choice but to open its arms to tourists, with that much money at stake!

Do they get in our way? Well, of course. We've already got eight million people calling this place home. It can only get more crowded when huge numbers of visitors stuff themselves inside our borders. But that's such a minor concern, it shouldn't even come up in conversation.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
I was one of those 47.5 million tourists in 2010. It was an awesome place. January 16-18, 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City