Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 09:24 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
For what it's worth, if you think that "pit bulls" is a normal risk, then you've been misinformed. There is a lot of bad info out there about "bad breeds". Don't go knifing a dog just because the propaganda has you convinced all of a certain breed are bad, that is a common but incorrect point of view...Pitbulls can be and usually are some of the sweetest dogs. There are a few bad apples, most of those are the result of their human handlers.
Can't rep you more. My next door neighbor has a pitbull and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met.

If OP needs to carry a weapon against a random dog, that's one thing. It should be a bat or baton. If there is a specific dog, do the right thing and report the dog to the correct authorities so that the owners can do their due diligence and lock the dog up. If they won't or don't, then the dog should be impounded and next steps taken.

But no animal deserves to be knifed in the street. In any case, it's not going to kill the dog, it's going to p1ss them off. You are better off knocking them senseless over the head.

But in any case, OP is a new member and will likely never come back and discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 09:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Can't rep you more. My next door neighbor has a pitbull and she is the sweetest dog I have ever met.

If OP needs to carry a weapon against a random dog, that's one thing. It should be a bat or baton. If there is a specific dog, do the right thing and report the dog to the correct authorities so that the owners can do their due diligence and lock the dog up. If they won't or don't, then the dog should be impounded and next steps taken.

But no animal deserves to be knifed in the street. In any case, it's not going to kill the dog, it's going to p1ss them off. You are better off knocking them senseless over the head.

But in any case, OP is a new member and will likely never come back and discuss.
The OP isn’t out knifing random dogs (as far as we know). Any dog that attacks a human needs to be put down- period. How the OP chooses to defend himself is none of our business, and he asked a pretty simple question that has somehow spiraled into a completely different thread.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:43 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The OP isn’t out knifing random dogs (as far as we know). Any dog that attacks a human needs to be put down- period. How the OP chooses to defend himself is none of our business, and he asked a pretty simple question that has somehow spiraled into a completely different thread.
No, it was a simple question if it was: Is it legal to carry a knife for protection in these parts?

It spiraled exactly where the OP wanted it when he/she included the pitbull comment.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:44 AM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
If you are close enough to knife the dog, the dog is close enough to start tearing chunks off of you. And if you aren’t experienced in handling large, aggressive dogs, it could end very badly for you. Large dogs are generally very pain tolerant, and getting cut by a knife isn’t going to instantly incapacity one. It can easily continue attacking until it succumbs to blood loss. You may end the dog, but again, it could go very badly for you.

You would be much better off carrying pepper spray, and learning to be very situationally aware in your surroundings. And just stop with the dog knifing fantasies.

Old 08-02-2023, 11:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Never even thought to ask if there was a law or something to carry a pocket knife. Seems like every guy I know has carried one since they were a kid. I certainly have.

I have carried this one for years: https://www.amazon.com/BladeMate-Tac...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Old 08-02-2023, 11:49 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, if you think that "pit bulls" is a normal risk, then you've been misinformed. There is a lot of bad info out there about "bad breeds". Don't go knifing a dog just because the propaganda has you convinced all of a certain breed are bad, that is a common but incorrect point of view.

That being said, if there is a SPECIFIC Pit Bull that has been aggressive toward you, you should absolutely deal with that. If you already have, or are unwilling to address it with the owners, then call animal control on that specific animal.

Please don't go "protecting yourself" against all pitbulls, or any other breed.

Sorry, I know it's not what you asked, and I am prepared to get flamed with misinformed responses (and hopefully some will get my back). It just pains me to see people instilled with fear based on bad info. Pitbulls can be and usually are some of the sweetest dogs. There are a few bad apples, most of those are the result of their human handlers.
I’ll agree with this. As a trucker, I’ve met dozens of pit bulls, and for the most part they are goofy as heck. They’re dense and muscular which can come off as aggressive, and I think that’s where part of the misunderstanding comes from. I was bitten by a pit bull last year, but I understand now that it was a rescued neglected dog (not trained to fight), and has issues with socialization. It wasn’t a pit bull thing, I just happened to be bitten by a badly socialized dog and it happened to be a pit bull. I agree that you shouldn’t stereotype the dog based on breed (I’d have to find the study but a recent one showed that aggression has a very weak correlation with breed genetics), and that if you’re having problems with a particular dog it would be wise to seek alternatives first.

That said, while I agree not to go stabbing dogs willy nilly, if you feel the need to protect yourself I would go ahead and do so. My stance on the legality is that I’d rather have it if I need it and get in law trouble than not have it and get hurt more severely.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:10 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
There are also things you can do to not escalate a situation. Learn how to read a dog's body language (eg a wagging tail is not necessarily a good sign) and don't try stupid macho things like "staring it down" (which is a threatening behavior to a dog). A good book to start with is "The Other End of the Leash". A lot of dog bites are caused by people not recognizing the warning signs.
Could not rep you again, but +1 to this. (My wife is a dog trainer by profession, FWIW.)

Old 08-02-2023, 01:23 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Never even thought to ask if there was a law or something to carry a pocket knife. Seems like every guy I know has carried one since they were a kid. I certainly have.

I have carried this one for years: https://www.amazon.com/BladeMate-Tac...ef_=ast_sto_dp
You need to be careful, as some locations have very restrictive blade laws.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:45 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey2000 View Post
I need something to be able to protect myself against pitbulls.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
OP was specific, and implied that it was not a specific dog, as they used plural form of pitbull(S). That is what I responded to.

To be clear, if a dog of any breed, a human, a kitten, or any other animal attacks me, I'd defend myself as much as necessary, up to the aggressor's death, if that's what it takes.

And I'll also pick up on what you said. That's not true either. Any dog that attacks a human unprovoked, 'probably' will need to be put down by today's standards, let's be very precise with our words.

I a human breaks into a dog's house (or even enters his posted property), then he is going to defend his territory, and I think that's justified.

If another human attacks the dog's handler, the dog is going to react, and is justified.

So I know what you meant, and I sort of agree with you in principle, but it's not a good practice to speak in absolutes. There are extenuating circumstances.

I really wish the law was that if a dog attacks another animal, that their owner is accountable, and the dog will only be put down as a last resort. Again, most dogs are not the issue. It's almost always their handler, their training or lack of, their lack of socialization, or the lack of controlling their environment (by humans).

And fwiw: I appreciate the back and forth. It's good to exchange ideas.
- You're right, people should be able to defend themselves.
- I'm right, people should not proactively go out there "protecting themselves against an entire breed"
- Everyone is right, there are always situations that matter, and one size almost never fits all.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:59 PM

361 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, if you think that "pit bulls" is a normal risk, then you've been misinformed. There is a lot of bad info out there about "bad breeds". Don't go knifing a dog just because the propaganda has you convinced all of a certain breed are bad, that is a common but incorrect point of view.

That being said, if there is a SPECIFIC Pit Bull that has been aggressive toward you, you should absolutely deal with that. If you already have, or are unwilling to address it with the owners, then call animal control on that specific animal.

Please don't go "protecting yourself" against all pitbulls, or any other breed.

Sorry, I know it's not what you asked, and I am prepared to get flamed with misinformed responses (and hopefully some will get my back). It just pains me to see people instilled with fear based on bad info. Pitbulls can be and usually are some of the sweetest dogs. There are a few bad apples, most of those are the result of their human handlers.
+1

I'm happy to agree with you on this one.

"Pit Bull" isn't a recognized AKC breed. A lot of mutts that look like a Pitbull are called "Pit Mixes" because of the distinctive head they have, which I can only assume is a dominant trait.

The Pitbull "bite" statistics are always wrong and misleading because 1. there isn't a commonly accepted breed standard to clearly define what is and is not a pitbull and 2. Pitbulls are very popular, by some accounts the most popular dog in America. Raw numbers would suggest that they bite more than any other dog, but not when prevalence is taken into account.

My Pittie is too sweet to strangers to be a guard dog. She's always been iffy with unfamiliar dogs but usually calms down once she gets to know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary