Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 PM

329 posts, read 250,071 times

Advertisements

Anyone else here tired of all the development? I understand it's good for the economy, but they're tearing down old farmhouses, and flattening farm land like there's no tomorrow. The cost outweighs the benefits. I'm up near 98 and it's nuts. We're growing our economy at the cost of our culture and history.

A farm on HWY98, 15 acres, just sold for more townhomes. A friend of a friend of mine just sold a ton of her family's acreage round Leesville for another thousand or so cookie cutter, copy-paste homes.

Our culture is dying in this area. What used to be farmland, cattle, farm outbuildings, rocking chairs, front porches, gardens, ridges and pines is now cookie-cutter subdivisions and Walmarts.

I wouldn't mind if these transplants moved down here and converted to our culture, but most of the time they don't.

They come on down, they drive fast, they can't wait a couple minutes for a local on a tractor to move his bush-hog across the road, they don't wave at you when you wave at them from your porch, they don't say Ma'am or Sir, they complain about how we drive in winter, they honk at you over the smallest inconvenience, and God forbid you drive slow whilst hauling several hundred pounds of chicken feed from Granville county. They'll get their fancy lil' beamer or mercedes right on your tail because wherever it is they're going is so many times more important than what you're doing.

Country ain't country no more. If they don't like how we do life down here, why not head back where they came from? Ain't no one forcing them to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Lock it up.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Calling CapBlvd ... here's your cue!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Sounds like nobody cares about the destruction of our culture and subsequent instantiation of cookie-cutterism. Pretty much confirms what I posted.

Nobody thinks our culture is getting destroyed because we're growing without any kind of plan?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
What’s the plan? Give everyone 15 acres??

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
What about natives who like this development? It’s a majority of us in both Raleigh and Charlotte. It’s what we wanted if not what our communities worked and continue to work to achieve.

I don’t like it when people play the “i was born here” card to complain about newcomers. Literally, 30-40 minutes away there are farms and stuff where things literalltnever change and probably will never change other than getting maybe a new Dollar General and a new McDonalds.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Don't feed the troll.

This is likely someone's 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th or 6th) account.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
What’s the plan? Give everyone 15 acres??

Preserving history would be a start. There was a ~150 year old farmhouse 'round here that a local road was named after. Did they bother saving it? Did they put a sign up regarding the historical significance of what used to be here? No, they tore it down.

I don't care if they build houses. Just respect the culture and stop looking down on it/not caring/paving over it.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Don't feed the troll.

This is likely someone's 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th or 6th) account.

This is my only account, I rarely post on here. I created this account a year or so ago. I'm getting reminded why I decided not to continue posting on this site.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
This is my only account, I rarely post on here. I created this account a year or so ago. I'm getting reminded why I decided not to continue posting on this site.
Continue? This was your first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary