Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:25 AM

6,019 posts, read 2,843,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN56T View Post
Folks still subscribe to N&O?
Yes, though I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you want to know your local news, it helps to pay for journalism and true journalists. Otherwise you just get “announcements” and news releases which are potentially incomplete.
Our subscriptions pay for this. I assume their costs have gone up?
^ This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
Besides, yesterday's news arriving tomorrow is expensive.
I prefer reading yesterday's news today. Why, you might ask? Because, so much of the news that is first reported is incorrect. I would rather read the news after it has had time to dwell and be verified. With the amount of misinformation being spread, I like to think that my due diligence is making an impact, be it as small as it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys
I stopped getting the digital version about two years ago (the paper version stopped earlier.) I don't miss it, other than maybe the comics. I now get my left-leaning news from WRAL (and, apparently, center/neutral news from NewsNation via WNCN.)
I don't think I can stomach WRAL any longer. Yesterday, they played music that sounded like impending doom at the beginning of their broadcast, while covering the storm, and sent one of their meteorologists to South Carolina to show us that it was raining there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 11:02 AM

66 posts, read 49,370 times
NYT and WSJ each have deals for $50/yr, so given that, $159/yr for the N&O is pretty steep

Old 08-31-2023, 11:12 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
My annual subscription to the News & Observer comes up for renewal in October. A year ago I was charged $172, tax included, a 52-week subscription (digital only). Today they notified me the renewal rate is $275 for the next 52 weeks... roughly a 60% increase. Has anyone else been notified of this?
Last year, I renewed for a bit more than that (Daily Paper + Digital Access). They originally wanted a bunch more than that. I told them I would renew at the price I previously paid or would cancel. They said OK.

I have been a daily subscriber since the mid-80s, but am getting close to dropping it if they want another price increase. I really do like having a physical paper to read, but other than the (month old) NYT crossword, there is less and less to like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I prefer reading yesterday's news today. Why, you might ask? Because, so much of the news that is first reported is incorrect. I would rather read the news after it has had time to dwell and be verified. With the amount of misinformation being spread, I like to think that my due diligence is making an impact, be it as small as it may be.
I don't mind the "old" news, but get tired of reading on Wednesday about a meeting that was going to occur on the previous Tuesday (or even Monday). Today's paper had a forecast (from noon yesterday) about the hurricane. Don't even try to find a score from a ball game that started after 1PM.

They can be pretty sloppy on editing what goes in the paper vs the online copy, such as leaving text in the paper that says something like "click on the link below" , etc.

The other day, they left in the instructions for someone who would be reading the copy (eg "moderators note.....")

Old 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM

368 posts, read 295,435 times
There's a pop-up ad on the N&O site advertising a Labor Day sale of $99.99 for a year of digital access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary