Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 11:04 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,147,017 times

Advertisements

I tested positive for Covid with a home test. Employer wanted a provider test. I scheduled a test on the CVS website for 10:30 today. Got there & they said their test strips were outdated. I went back to website & set up another test at s different store. Called that store & their phone tree said they were prepared for tests. Went there for a noon appointment & stood in line nearly a half hour. Got to the desk & pharmacist said they didn’t test at that location. Plus, I overheard him tell at least 3 people that he didn’t have their meds. I came to Duke Urgent Care & I’m already halfway through, at half the cost. CVS is really hitting the skids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 11:39 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I think you'll find it hard to find ANY pharmacy that isn't struggling right now - especially with staffing. the added work involved with Covid testing and the multiple vaccines now suggested by physicians is burying pharmacists. The entire industry has been altered in recent years because of these issues.

That said, I've found that CVS has one of the worst websites I've ever had to use. Just 3 days ago, I switched all our prescriptions to Walgreens. I don't expect it to be that much better, but at least the website is okay.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:00 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,695,698 times
What you experienced isn't a staffing issue... it is a management issue. CVS has set up phone trees that make it as challenging as possible to connect to a human, but then they haven't maintained phone trees to be accurate. Their website is terrible and also inaccurate. Every decision by CVS leaders is made to cut costs and improve profits for CVS knowing they essentially have a duopoly on traditional neighborhood pharmacies now with Walgreens.

As far as the pharmacist shortage.... CVS partially created this themselves. What used to be a rewarding profession is now dominated by a few major conglomerates that have kept pay low by controlling the industry, eliminating independent pharmacies, and making the job feel like a retail position where you have to work bad hours for mediocre pay. Meanwhile MBA graduates who have never worked in the pharmacy make decisions on operations, workflow, staffing, and policies that tell the Pharmacist what to do. Those same MBAs have also made sure each store has as few Pharmacists as possible and shifted as much work to Pharmacist Technicians that make $17 an hour and are much cheaper for CVS.

As such, Pharmacy schools average an 86% acceptance rate nationwide because it isn't a hot job. Nobody wants to accrue 4 years of graduate school debt + 1 - 2 years in a residency program for the dream of making $116,000 working behind the counter at a depressing grey carpeted CVS until 8PM at night giving a grumpy person their medication and also asking you to ring up their wine and make-up. Anybody willing to work that hard for an education could make a lot more money doing other graduate programs, that lead to jobs that pay better, have better hours, and your career doesn't peak being the lead pharmacist of a CVS store in a strip mall.

Last edited by CLT4; 01-07-2024 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2024, 12:56 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think you'll find it hard to find ANY pharmacy that isn't struggling right now - especially with staffing. the added work involved with Covid testing and the multiple vaccines now suggested by physicians is burying pharmacists. The entire industry has been altered in recent years because of these issues.

That said, I've found that CVS has one of the worst websites I've ever had to use. Just 3 days ago, I switched all our prescriptions to Walgreens. I don't expect it to be that much better, but at least the website is okay.
Yeah you'll be sorry you did that. I'm leaving Walgreens next time I have a prescription. Gotten to the point I am looking at the medication and making sure it matches what the picture is on the RX.

Went to CVS for a Covid test two years ago - son and daughter both had it. I was out of at home tests and my company was covering it 100% so why not? lady who administered the test basically rolled her eyes and told me "there's very little chance you have it". What? Sure enough. Positive.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:29 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times

After 2 years at Walgreens, I would jump back to CVS from Walgreens in a heartbeat, but CVS is not a preferred provider at this time.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:52 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
We are VERY happy with the folks in the Publix Pharmacy on Kildaire Farm. Shots, meds, etc - everything has gone smoothly. Never had an issue with wait times or availability. I recently had to start an expensive drug and they called to confirm I wanted to fill it, instead of just doing it. They are always willing to try GoodRX, etc to try to save you money. I just hope it continues this way.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:00 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,875,911 times
I've been satisfied with Walgreens and use the one right close to home so it's very convenient compared to CVS...and IMHO everything at CVS is more expensive, so they're my last choice option.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

After 2 years at Walgreens, I would jump back to CVS from Walgreens in a heartbeat, but CVS is not a preferred provider at this time.
Same issue, CVS doesn't play nice with my insurance....my eye doctor literally begged me to use anyone but Walgreens....even Walmart is better she said (has friends who are pharmacists).

Old 01-07-2024, 02:34 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Where I live Walgreens is terrible. They often close early due to staffing issues. Also,pharmacy are giving vaccine shots, so they can`t keep up with scripts. Kind of scary. I always look at my pills,to make sure,they are the right ones.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:58 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Same issue, CVS doesn't play nice with my insurance....my eye doctor literally begged me to use anyone but Walgreens....even Walmart is better she said (has friends who are pharmacists).
Medicare Advantage HMO.
CVS is not preferred.
Had choices and went with Walgreens. It is hard work getting scripts and communication.

They canceled a new prescription, because they didn't have the right strength in stock. Told me to call around other stores to see if I could get it there. LOL It's anywhere from 15--30 minutes on hold to get someone on the phone.
One sales pitch with Walgreens is you are in their system in all stores, but apparently the stores themselves don't share that convenience.

SO... I said, "Can't you order the right dose into your store?"
"Well, yes. We can do that. It won't be here until Monday."
This was Friday evening. I had already told her I didn't have a pressing timeline, but just needed the meds.
I said, "DO IT!"
Went over to pick up the other prescription they had also fumbled on and they gave me the Monday order too. Somehow both turned up.
Walgreens seems to be overworked, understaffed, poorly trained in communication and service, and just struggling. Stone Creek Village. Store is a bit grubby too. CVS across the corner on Winston Hill is just a cleaner, friendlier store, IMO.

I might have taken my business to Harris Teeter, but no drive through and a lonnnng walk from parking lot to the pharmacy.
But, right now, HT is still a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary