Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times

Advertisements

A lot of the software dev jobs are in small companies where you're one of a small group developers (with a few notable exceptions like redhat). So that causes some isolation and less of an intense, intellectually stimulating environment for developers. I'd avoid business programming here if you can. Also, in these jobs, the dress seems to be that ugly polo-shirt/khaki combination that is so popular in NC.
IBM is still one of the more conservative companies out here, and some companies take their style from them. My husband HAS to wear a collar shirt to work. Which isn't a big deal, but he can't go around wearing t-shirts and flip flops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:48 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Definitely step it up a bit for an interview, though. At the very least, wear some slacks and a shirt featuring some buttons somewhere. Avoid ties. Ties frighten them.
As a somewhat conservative management type who refuses to participate in Casual Fridays (khakis and golf shirts are the norm Mon-Thur, why anymore casual for Friday?), who has a son working in Software at RTP who wears shorts and T-shirts to work nearly every day, I recommend the following as a compromise for interview dress.

Khaki style slacks - clean and pressed!
Solid color or placket style (i.e. golf) shirt
Sport coat which coordinates nicely with the above items
Clean & Polished casual shoes

If the company appears conservative after you arrive, keep the jacket on. If the company appears to be very casual with dress after you arrive, find a secure place to dump the jacket.

Women can follow the identical recommendations, or substitute a simple A-line skirt for the slacks.

Clean & Neat are the most critical. I think everyone realizes these days that the old rule of the "Interview Suit" is nearly extinct, and some flexibility of dress with potential new-hires who do not yet know your company culture is important.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
IBM is still one of the more conservative companies out here, and some companies take their style from them. My husband HAS to wear a collar shirt to work. Which isn't a big deal, but he can't go around wearing t-shirts and flip flops.
Really? That is so weird. I'm in software development at IBM as well, and folks in the buildings where I work run the gamut with regard to dress. Most wear jeans, but plenty wear shorts. And while most wear polo shirts or the like, you see plenty of t-shirts as well. Now, if you are meeting with a customer, then business casual applies - but that is true in most places, no?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
For at least the last 10 ten years, the style everywhere I've worked in RTP (including IBM) has been very casual. I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt and Chaco sandals 8-9 months out of the year.

The smaller places I've worked have been more casual and have been the most rewarding and most intense. The right 10 developers who have talent and know and trust on another can crank out more and far better code than a large group.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
As a somewhat conservative management type who refuses to participate in Casual Fridays (khakis and golf shirts are the norm Mon-Thur, why anymore casual for Friday?), who has a son working in Software at RTP who wears shorts and T-shirts to work nearly every day, I recommend the following as a compromise for interview dress.

Khaki style slacks - clean and pressed!
Solid color or placket style (i.e. golf) shirt
Sport coat which coordinates nicely with the above items
Clean & Polished casual shoes

If the company appears conservative after you arrive, keep the jacket on. If the company appears to be very casual with dress after you arrive, find a secure place to dump the jacket.

Women can follow the identical recommendations, or substitute a simple A-line skirt for the slacks.

Clean & Neat are the most critical. I think everyone realizes these days that the old rule of the "Interview Suit" is nearly extinct, and some flexibility of dress with potential new-hires who do not yet know your company culture is important.

Thank you for this suggestion--we still send my husband out for interviews in his suit, not realizing the rule had gone the way of dinosaurs. Although based on the attire of people we've interviewed, it should be obvious. Did you know people feel safe wearing Crocs to interviews?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Really? That is so weird. I'm in software development at IBM as well, and folks in the buildings where I work run the gamut with regard to dress. Most wear jeans, but plenty wear shorts. And while most wear polo shirts or the like, you see plenty of t-shirts as well. Now, if you are meeting with a customer, then business casual applies - but that is true in most places, no?
I was contrasting IBM with say, a game company where showering might be optional.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I was contrasting IBM with say, a game company where showering might be optional.
Do you actually work at a SW development company, or are you just speculating about how people dress for work, whether or not they take showers, or if they have intellectually stimulating jobs?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I have a few friends in software development that work for companies in RTP. Their work dress style is fairly casual. BTW, my friends who work at Sony Ericsson are smart as hell and drink like fish (after work that is)!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I have a few friends in software development that work for companies in RTP. Their work dress style is fairly casual. BTW, my friends who work at Sony Ericsson are smart as hell and drink like fish (after work that is)!
Oh. . . .was I supposed to start drinking AFTER work?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
LOL. My current work has a keg on tap and a fridge loaded with beer. Very nice fringe benefit. Especially on a day this hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary