Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 10:42 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
... Darn I wish I knew what it was before.
Ask your near neighbors about their pressure numbers. Better yet, take your gauge and (with permission) measure it. Their numbers are a first approximation to what yours were.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 10:51 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My wife's cheapskate husband
Took me way too long to work through this.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:01 PM

307 posts, read 296,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
At 80psi you run a higher risk of rubber seals rupturing in faucets and appliances in addition to busted washing machine & dishwasher hoses. While this may not happen immediately but over time system components weaken under the high pressure until point of failure is reached. 75psi is still on the high side but I'd never feel comfortable running at 80psi due to increased risk of rupture leaks or flooding that can cause serious water damage to a home, especially when 80psi is just unnecessary pressure and increases water usage compared to 60psi which is adequate for most homes.
Good point on the bill. I thought ours were kinda high....now I know it is. I guess I need to start my project sooner rather than later. I do use the alert system and set it for 400gal/day for notifications.

Nobody in my cul-de-sac has a PRV tho. I just asked.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:34 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times
I talked to the city water department. Not very helpful. They say they provide 20 psi water supply. So how does it become 80 psi? We are getting quotes to replace the PRV. Seems like it will be $400-$500. Probably do it in the next week or two if we can.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:54 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
Good point on the bill. I thought ours were kinda high....now I know it is. I guess I need to start my project sooner rather than later. I do use the alert system and set it for 400gal/day for notifications.

Nobody in my cul-de-sac has a PRV tho. I just asked.
I have mine set for 300 gallons and the only time I reach that is when 4 people are here, everyone takes a shower, we do laundry and I run the dishwasher in one day....and even then I rarely go much over 300.

How many people are in your home?

Old 03-19-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I talked to the city water department. ... They say they provide 20 psi water supply. So how does it become 80 psi?
Somebody in this scenario is misinformed. Probably them.
Quote:
We are getting quotes to replace the PRV. Seems like it will be $400-$500. ...
If you have homeowner-level skills (with some plumbing experience) you might choose to do this job yourself.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0045/205556019

Installation of this model PRV does not require a torch or any special tools. In stock. ~$70 including tax. If a pro charges $400 they are getting ~$330 for one hour of labor.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:36 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Somebody in this scenario is misinformed. Probably them.
If you have homeowner-level skills (with some plumbing experience) you might choose to do this job yourself.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0045/205556019

Installation of this model PRV does not require a torch or any special tools. In stock. ~$70 including tax. If a pro charges $400 they are getting ~$330 for one hour of labor.

I installed copper union joints on both sides of mine so I could have it out in under ten minutes if necessary but haven't had to touch it since I installed it years ago as part of a larger plumbing project.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:55 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
I talked to the city water department. Not very helpful. They say they provide 20 psi water supply. So how does it become 80 psi? We are getting quotes to replace the PRV. Seems like it will be $400-$500. Probably do it in the next week or two if we can.

Many variables can affect water pressure so what the city gave you is their standard canned answer response, but most people would not be happy with only 20psi. I would still try to adjust your existing regulator before spending $500 to replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM0OB-r8YnM

Old 03-19-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I installed copper union joints on both sides ...
That's a first class repair!

Old 03-20-2024, 05:44 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
40-80 is a typical range. If it is outside of that I would put it in the report when I do a home inspection. Obviously the higher you go the more of a chance of a leak, but the usual issues are your icemaker, dishwasher and washing machine are loud when filling or when turning on or off. Those solenoid valves are quick to turn on and off.

It is pretty popular on new construction houses of the last few years, for builders to connect the hose bibs ahead of the pressure reducing valve, so they get street pressure while the rest of the house is lower. I guess they figure that people want higher pressure for washing cars and watering lawns. It’s real common to see 100-125 on those and I have to go to the water heater or at the washer and dryer connections to double check. Highest I’ve seen was 145 in Cary. Cary definitely has much higher street pressure than Raleigh or Durham systems.

Most PEX systems are rated for 160 psi cold and 100 psi at 180 degrees. Obviously no house will have water that hot (highest I’ve ever seen was 162 and that’s crazy, don’t do that) but it does make a difference as the pipe will be a little bit softer. Copper can handle theoretical pressures much higher but with any system, it is all only as good as the weakest, most poorly assembled joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary