Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 98,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I'm in upstate NY, the temps are heading up into the 90s with humidity to match for the next 4-6 days (which is very unusual for this time of the year), and with winter just going out the backdoor here, I can honestly say I like it cold better than this icky, sticky, gross feeling you get when it's humid!!! And plus, I can not go outside and feel comfortable with this humidity while a snowy day is still do-able.....

Any way you look at it, Mother Nature traps us in our homes at some point of the year!

Not trapped here at all. Mornings and evenings are still beautiful and I can still go out in the shade for some time, then back in to cool off all day long. Now when it was cold up north, I was trapped in all the time. No fun being outside all bundled up with snot drizzling out my nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Raleigh_Guy View Post
No fun being outside all bundled up with snot drizzling out my nose.
Sounds like it was cold enough to create cicles out your nose rather than drizzle. Eh.

Though I love sleeping and sleep better under cool and cold conditions, when it does get to hot (no matter where you live), once you've stripped down the clothes, there's nothing left to help keep you cool especially if the A/C is down. With the cold, I can definitely bundle up. Though I've never experienced cold where I had to bundle up like that kid in a "Christmas Story."

Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,699 times
Quote:
Not trapped here at all. Mornings and evenings are still beautiful and I can still go out in the shade for some time, then back in to cool off all day long. Now when it was cold up north, I was trapped in all the time. No fun being outside all bundled up with snot drizzling out my nose.
So from say 11 AM to 7 PM you're inside when the 3 Hs show up? That's trapped IMO anyway you cut it. And when it's cold and the sun's shining, outside is doable all day.. but we all have our personally thresholds and sorry, this heat/humidity (which just drove me inside at 4PM as I tried to finish some gardening) is not enjoyable......

Tomayto/Tomahtoe....

Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Sounds like it was cold enough to create cicles out your nose rather than drizzle. Eh.

Though I love sleeping and sleep better under cool and cold conditions, when it does get to hot (no matter where you live), once you've stripped down the clothes, there's nothing left to help keep you cool especially if the A/C is down. With the cold, I can definitely bundle up. Though I've never experienced cold where I had to bundle up like that kid in a "Christmas Story."

Well, I do sleep inside at night, so I just crank the AC. I do like to sleep in the cold, also.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
So from say 11 AM to 7 PM you're inside when the 3 Hs show up? That's trapped IMO anyway you cut it. And when it's cold and the sun's shining, outside is doable all day.. but we all have our personally thresholds and sorry, this heat/humidity (which just drove me inside at 4PM as I tried to finish some gardening) is not enjoyable......

Tomayto/Tomahtoe....

No, I am oustide during that time frame. I just come in every so often, then go back out. I was just outside and was fine for quite a while. I did stay in the sun too long, so here I am typing away. I will be outside shortly to play in a kickball game (yes, for adults). This will be fun.

Gardening would be tough though. When it does heat up and the humdity comes in, it is best to slow down and relax. Enjoy the day and don't work too hard. Besides, not too much gardening is going on when it is below freezing...........on the other side.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I do sleep inside at night, so I just crank the AC. I do like to sleep in the cold, also.
Yeah, the window A/C is now cranked up at night. At least for a few hours. We'll see for later in the summer. Hmmm, I gotta just jump on the debt wagon and get that central A/C fixed. Go figure it fried 'after' we bought the house. Looks like we may need it if the week after week heat builds up progressively (not to mention the electric bill).

Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Yeah, the window A/C is now cranked up at night. At least for a few hours. We'll see for later in the summer. Hmmm, I gotta just jump on the debt wagon and get that central A/C fixed. Go figure it fried 'after' we bought the house. Looks like we may need it if the week after week heat builds up progressively (not to mention the electric bill).

No central AC?

That's tough. I could never live without central AC again, even if I was back up north. Even I have my limits.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No central AC?

That's tough. I could never live without central AC again, even if I was back up north. Even I have my limits.
The upside was that our electric bill is lessened by only cooling off the rooms that have the window A/C. Though I think they're obtrusive, I might keep them in place once we get the central unit replaced. It's was a 10 seer, and now the minimum is 13 seer. It's gonna cost money, but with my Caligirl's encouragement, I'm sure the debt won't be as bad as the suffering I'll received both from her and the humidity if I don't get it repaired soon.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
You should try going to New Orleans. I'm a New Orleans native and what we are having now in NC is not nearly as bad as summers in New Orleans.
Amen, I used to live in Jefferson Parish.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,080 times
Quote:
No central AC?

You get used to it. I grew up in Florida in central-ac-land. Here in suburban Boston, I've gotten used to not having central AC. We have window units, but we didn't even bother putting in the non-bedroom units last year, and we only used the bedroom units three times. There was one day that we were sorta forced into the bedrooms during the day, but that's not such a big deal. It's all about what you're used to, and when you don't have central AC you quickly get used to living in warmer temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary