Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2024, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 458 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a garage/warehouse space that would allow me to store my VW bus indoors and be to able to work on it as I continue the restoration process. I know a lot of places that only allow storage but will not allow you to work on your car but I hope there are some car enthusiasts in the area that would need a similar space to continue their restoration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 04:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,597,885 times
There are people working out of storage units at Harris Lake boat storage. I have a 10x30 and there is an outlet outside I plug into for my battery tender. I have done some light work on my trailer but nothing lasting or ongoing. If it starts to impact other units you might be told to stop. I have seen people wood working so there might be some better power options than just the 110v outside.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:10 PM

855 posts, read 595,875 times
Visit Carolina Exotic Car Club in west Raleigh. https://www.joincecc.com/

Old 05-21-2024, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 458 times
Thanks for the input. I only need 110v for drop light, battery charger, etc. As far as the Exotic Car Club, my 1971 VW bus may not be exotic enough to utilize this facility. I have checked out their website and they have some really nice cars there--far nicer than my bus. I'm looking more for a warehouse or underutilized garage space where I can work on the car from time to time. I am finding out that restoring a car takes a lot of time!!

Old 05-22-2024, 05:34 AM

4,190 posts, read 4,912,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW bus guy View Post
Thanks for the input. I only need 110v for drop light, battery charger, etc. As far as the Exotic Car Club, my 1971 VW bus may not be exotic enough to utilize this facility. I have checked out their website and they have some really nice cars there--far nicer than my bus. I'm looking more for a warehouse or underutilized garage space where I can work on the car from time to time. I am finding out that restoring a car takes a lot of time!!
Storage facilities may have restricted use limitations due to insurance liability risks that prohibit working on vehicles. A small warehouse space would be perfect but that can get expensive, so a lot depends on your anticipated budget. There are many VV groups on Facebook that are a good source of helpful restoration collaboration information and finding replacement parts. I have a soft heart for the old VW's myself having owned a few that now I wish I'd kept but enjoy your project.

Old 05-22-2024, 01:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,782 posts, read 81,743,750 times
I don't know about your area, but here, homeowners with large garages and/or acreage are renting out space to others for classic cars, boats, motorhomes and trailers to be stored. There are websites popping up like those below that provide a place to present those opportunities, but also, people sometimes just stop and ask ad make a deal.

https://www.neighbor.com/

https://storeatmyhouse.com/

This is a house near us that's renting out space to others:
Attached Thumbnails
Garage space for lease for classic car-capture202.png  

Old Today, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 458 times
Thanks to all for the input however it doesn't look like there is a place currently available in the Raleigh/Durham area like I have here in Atlanta. I lease space from a guy who has a warehouse space where guys with Land Rovers, BMW's, Lotus, and DeLorean work on their cars. Really cool community since these gearheads are more than willing to share their knowledge and tools to keep my project moving along. The lease is up at the end of the year so I will be looking elsewhere. Keeping these old cars running has been a challenge for me but fortunately there are a lot of VW parts around the country to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: