Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 PM

7,145 posts, read 4,739,667 times

Advertisements

I remember looking at a quaint downtown Cary home for sale several years ago and being enchanted by the old downtown area of Cary. Maybe it's changed quite a bit, but I can't imagine it's been diminished to a large degree. Cary evoked one of those "at-home" feelings, while seeing the downtown area and surrounding streets nearby. In my opinion, it was quite close to an old New England village type of feeling.
best,
toodie

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
- Some people would pick North Raleigh over West Raleigh anyday

- Some people would pick Inside The Beltline over West Raleigh anyday

- And some people refer to West Raleigh as Cary Wouldn't that be East Cary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That would be around the East Chatham street area. Eeeeesh!!!!!

Downtown also was a huge letdown to me. I have gone around the area several times trying to find what is good about it, but I must be missing it.

These areas seem to have a lot of misplaced businesses that are not kept up, a lot of tiny falling apart houses and many trailers. I am not at all a fan of trailers.

I will pick southern and western Cary anyday. These areas have all kinds of different offerings from new to older, well maintained and mature landscaping in many cases.

I sure do hope they bring the old outdated areas up to today's standards.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 AM

103 posts, read 98,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
We love East Chatham Street. Some of those locally owned businesses have been around for DECADES!
Those are the ones I am talking about. They are nasty looking, falling apart and are in no way orgainized in any particular pattern. They are scattered about in a disorderly way, without the normal quality landscaping around them. You find new buildings or redone buildings scattered here and there and they look great, but there is so much junk around them. They need to shut down many blocks in that area and redo the entire layout, bring the landscaping up to speed and widen the tiny roads they have that can't handle anything but a horse and buggy. Not to mention, the flow of the roads is awful. Left, right, left left, then right. You have to keep switching which side of the road you are on like crazy. If you don't pay attention, you end up on the wrong side of the road.

I just don't know what anybody sees in it. I am trying real hard, but can't find it. Heck, I even had to walk out of one of the restaurants downtown, as they were so dirty. Not at all like other parts of the town.

It's just not for me and does not match up to the image that many people have of the town. I really hope they have a MAJOR redo.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
See, now I'm the opposite of WRG. I didn't get to downtown or central Cary when I last visited, but I stayed with a friend who lives in Preston. While her house was beautiful, I was completely unimpressed with the entire layout of that part of Cary. Wide boulevards with roads turning off leading into subdivisions (all named proudly, of course) of cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac. Punctuated only by strip malls.

I was totally chagrined until I drove into Chapel Hill and felt instantly more at home with the maturity of the trees, the non cookie cutter houses and the winding streets.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Those are the ones I am talking about. They are nasty looking, falling apart and are in no way orgainized in any particular pattern. They are scattered about in a disorderly way, without the normal quality landscaping around them. You find new buildings or redone buildings scattered here and there and they look great, but there is so much junk around them. They need to shut down many blocks in that area and redo the entire layout, bring the landscaping up to speed and widen the tiny roads they have that can't handle anything but a horse and buggy. Not to mention, the flow of the roads is awful. Left, right, left left, then right. You have to keep switching which side of the road you are on like crazy. If you don't pay attention, you end up on the wrong side of the road.

I just don't know what anybody sees in it. I am trying real hard, but can't find it. Heck, I even had to walk out of one of the restaurants downtown, as they were so dirty. Not at all like other parts of the town.

It's just not for me and does not match up to the image that many people have of the town. I really hope they have a MAJOR redo.
Small roads; bad layout; junk around buildings; an architectural mishmash. If you don't like that, better stay out of Boston! Or downtown New York. Or Brooklyn.

To me, sounds nicer than Southpoint! (I've been to Southpoint, never been to this part of Cary.)

Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
It's called affordable rent for locally owned businesses. Not everyone can afford to rent out a little shop in Preston Corners. Plenty of dirty restaurants everywhere. Just check the sanatation ratings on the county website.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Preston itself was pretty. The house backed up to the golf course which was nice. For the price of those houses though, you didn't get much land. (remember I'm from MA where in the 'burbs, a 1 acre lot is the norm).

But that entire area of Cary as a whole? I was unimpressed. Reminded me of Northern VA.

And most New England towns have "quaint" town centers which are probably very similar to what you've encountered in downtown Cary. Again, I did not get there on my last visit so I can't compare for sure.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Providing links of some visuals:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...town-cary.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hnic-food.html

Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Here'a a great overview of what's going on with the renovation project! Very exciting!

Cary Downtown

Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM

103 posts, read 98,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The trailer parks on SE Maynard towards Cary Towne Centere are not actually a part of Cary!

Can I assume that you are being funny on this one, as that trailer park is definitely within town limits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary