Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Safety from crime/criminals is a measure of how likely am I to be a victim of crime. The crime rate tells us that answer. For an average resident, a Durhamite has a higher chance of being murdered than a Raleigh resident.
Problem is that I don't see anything in the stats that indicate which crimes happen to "average residents". If I was going to focus on stats, I would want to pay attention to the numbers as they are relevant to me.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Problem is that I don't see anything in the stats that indicate which crimes happen to "average residents". If I was going to focus on stats, I would want to pay attention to the numbers as they are relevant to me.
Exactly right!!!!!! Dire Wolf, you are saying that "average residents" have a higher chance of being murdered than a Raleigh resident. Where are your statistics to prove this? While Durham may indeed have a higher per capita murder rate, what makes you think this happens to "average residents", or in a broad area. You work in RTP, which is in Durham. Do you feel more unsafe once you pass the county line? Do you lock your doors as you pass the border?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,723 times
The focus of the original question seems to have gotten lost over time .... I can only offer that I have lived in Raleigh and Wake Forest, worked at Wake Med (Raleigh) and Duke Hospital (Durham), and have felt very safe in Durham. I work night shift and had many more issues at Wake Med regarding feeling "unsafe" than I have had at Duke. Most of the people I work with (doctors, nurses, etc.) live in Durham and love it. I have found that, in looking at homes (I plan to move to Durham soon), it is wise to look at the surrounding areas. The "typical" areas to avoid in Durham are the SE/Central areas, but having lived in Michigan (near Detroit), I have felt much safer in all areas of Durham than I ever did in Detroit... I think perspective is relative, I am a (sort of) young woman, and feel safe in most parts of Durham. I hope the OP gets the information he was seeking.... there IS crime everywhere, but most areas are safe to live, work, and play in!!! Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Thank you for bringing it back to the original question, which did get lost.

Crime stats can be tossed out all over the place but that doesn't mean a lot when those stats are generalized and you need to go by neighborhood. Real world experience from people living there should mean a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumanurseNC View Post
The focus of the original question seems to have gotten lost over time .... I can only offer that I have lived in Raleigh and Wake Forest, worked at Wake Med (Raleigh) and Duke Hospital (Durham), and have felt very safe in Durham. I work night shift and had many more issues at Wake Med regarding feeling "unsafe" than I have had at Duke. Most of the people I work with (doctors, nurses, etc.) live in Durham and love it. I have found that, in looking at homes (I plan to move to Durham soon), it is wise to look at the surrounding areas. The "typical" areas to avoid in Durham are the SE/Central areas, but having lived in Michigan (near Detroit), I have felt much safer in all areas of Durham than I ever did in Detroit... I think perspective is relative, I am a (sort of) young woman, and feel safe in most parts of Durham. I hope the OP gets the information he was seeking.... there IS crime everywhere, but most areas are safe to live, work, and play in!!! Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:49 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Thank you for bringing it back to the original question, which did get lost.

Crime stats can be tossed out all over the place but that doesn't mean a lot when those stats are generalized and you need to go by neighborhood. Real world experience from people living there should mean a lot more.
Exactly my point. Raleigh has more crime spread out throughout the city. While Durham's crime problems are more concentrated into small impoverished areas. Anyone with common sense would know to stay away from those areas. Raleigh on the other hand, you can get robbed living in a middle class area. Kind of weird actually.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Exactly my point. Raleigh has more crime spread out throughout the city. While Durham's crime problems are more concentrated into small impoverished areas. Anyone with common sense would know to stay away from those areas. Raleigh on the other hand, you can get robbed living in a middle class area. Kind of weird actually.
Yeah, Durham crime def isn't spread out.

http://gisweb2.ci.durham.nc.us/output/DurhamCrime_GISWEB236963856779.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post

http://gisweb2.ci.durham.nc.us/output/DurhamCrime_GISWEB236963856779.jpg (broken link)
All you need to do is stay away from the red dots, and you're fine.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:

That link didn't work for me and I want to see it.

I dunno, I'm so tired of even attempting to defend the city to people who don't even live here yet maintain they know better than those of us who do. Thinking about pure logic - does that really make sense?

Now not only do you guys bash durham, you bash the "durham defenders."

Eh, do whatever you guys want. It is just really unfortunate when someone comes on here asking a question because they might move here and they get very misleading information. It could really cost someone a lot of money should they get here, move elsewhere, and find that they would be happier in Durham.

My advice to the OP: just google as much as you can about Durham. there are a number of excellent blogs that will give you an idea of what it's like to live here, but unfortunately I am not allowed to post them. If you're going to take advice from people who don't live in the city Moderator cut: removed , then do so with a grain of salt...

I think I'm really done with this issue, it always ends up in the same place.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-17-2008 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: lets not go there

Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times
Quote:

I can't get the link to work, either. I assume that it is a breakdown of type of crime, as well as the statistics of the victim? Can you direct me to another source of this information?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Exactly right!!!!!! Dire Wolf, you are saying that "average residents" have a higher chance of being murdered than a Raleigh resident. Where are your statistics to prove this? While Durham may indeed have a higher per capita murder rate, what makes you think this happens to "average residents", or in a broad area. You work in RTP, which is in Durham. Do you feel more unsafe once you pass the county line? Do you lock your doors as you pass the border?
The statistics are available here at City-Data (not the forum section, the city sections) or can found via a Google search.

Crime per Average resident means just that. It is the average of all crimes in relation to population.

I've never said that Durham is a terrible place. I've only said that crime there is worse than Raleigh, and murders are much worse. I know a lot of people have a subjective opinion based on how they see the world. Heck, metro tries to call people that don't see it his way racists. But I specifically do NOT use subjective opinions, I use the actual crime and murder rates that the FBI and others use. It may not be perfect, but it is the most objective info available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary