Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM

12 posts, read 65,457 times

Advertisements

I am an avid and frequent racquetball player expecting to make a move to the Cary/Holly Springs/F-V area later this year. In desperate need to know from other players where to find the best clubs.
Also, I will be seeking a great gym.

Any chance I can find one place to cover both??

Thanks Trianglers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM

28 posts, read 104,412 times
Default also in need of a gym

also moving to the holly springs area and in need of input regarding gyms in the area. any help is appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:25 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,583 times
My husband is an avid racquetball player, too - he participates in several tournaments throughout the year. He is fortunate to have great courts at his company's gym, so he hasn't had to join a club. However, he has played at several around town. Try these:
Several of the YMCA's have courts, and the Y system is very active/popular here, with great facilities.
Gold's Gym (2 locations, one in N. Raleigh, one in Cary)
The Cary Fitness and Racquetball Club hosts leagues and tournaments, my husband has played there a lot.
Raleigh Racquet Club, I believe is primarily tennis, but they may have racquetball, too.
Oh, and my husband always has his racquets worked on at Stringers in Raleigh, if you have a tendency to break your strings frequently as he does!

In terms of a good gym, without the courts, I belonged to O2 Fitness for a couple years, before joining the YMCA for my kids. It is awesome, great classes, nice upscale facility, and there are locations in North Raleigh and Cary.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,408 times
There is a YMCA being built in Holly Springs, i don't know when it will open. It's technically in Apex, and I believe that area is being redistricted to Cary, but it's more like Holly Springs lol.

http://www.carynews.com/106/story/4633.html (broken link)

http://www.townofcary.org/boards/pzboard/2001mins/00sp232.htm (broken link)

Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 65,457 times
Talking Thanks!

As always, Posters, your input is valuable and appreciated.

Go Patriots!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:53 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,583 times
My husband emailed me this response to the question:

"If they want to move to Cary they are in luck, otherwise it might be tough. There are two or three clubs in Cary that are really active (and have a solid core of good players). There is the Kildaire Farms Fitness & Racquet Center (6 courts), the Cary YMCA (3 courts I think), and some new place that is supposed to be really nice and attracting a lot of players. The Kildaire Farms club is pretty old, pretty expensive, and on the decline in my opinion. The courts are not in good shape. I haven't been to the Cary Y, but I've heard they are pretty decent.

In North Raleigh, all I know of is the Wakefield Y. They have two [older] courts, and they don't have a very active program. Also, the skill level probably caps out at the B/C tournament level, whereas the Cary clubs have a higher number of Open/A/B players.

There are lots of nice courts at the NCSU campus, but I don't think they are open to the public."

Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 219,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnaz View Post
I am an avid and frequent racquetball player expecting to make a move to the Cary/Holly Springs/F-V area later this year. In desperate need to know from other players where to find the best clubs.
Also, I will be seeking a great gym.

Any chance I can find one place to cover both??

Thanks Trianglers...
Hi Nicnaz,

You ever move down here to Raleigh? If so, how is your Racquetball search going? I LOVE Racquetball but have not played in years since I left VA. There are actual public courts there, (free) imagine that! I have had a hard time finding a place to play here.

Anyone else have any info on Racquetbal in the area without having to be rich? (i.e., Raleigh Racquet Club, etc...)

Thanks all!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 89,799 times
If you are moving to Cary, you may want to check out Lifetime Fitness. I am not a racquetball person, but I have seen a few courts there. The nice thing is that they have something for everyone. There is a sea of aerobic and weight machines, an outdoor swim and lap pool with slides for kids and an indoor swim/lap pool with the same slides, as well as a dedicated indoor lap pool. They have awesome classes like Yoga, Pilates (SP?), the latest Step/Dance and Spinning. An indoor 2 story rock climbing wall. The place is amazing. Life Time Fitness - Your answer to a healthy way of life It is near Tryon Rd. and Regency Parkway, near the Lochmere Community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary