Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Hubby came from a small town within an hour of Raleigh. I've seen what no growth does. It turns a small town into a ghetto. I would never wish that for Raleigh. I've lived in this area for over 30 years and I'm telling you that we have been growing in all the years that I have lived here and hopefully, we will continue to grow. Whenever you feel that Raleigh is too large for you, there are plenty of smaller towns nearby that have little or no growth and you can pick up a house for $50,000! Live where you are happy!

Vicki
Agreed entirely, Vicki. I came from a couple of areas in PA that have had no growth for decades, and it can be a very sad thing.

When people finally notice, it tends to be when all the kids go away to college, and then live somewhere else to have opportunity, get married, and raise families.
"That is a good place to be from," is not complimentary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I agree in one respect, stagnation isn't good.

However, growth here is being driven by developer greed and politicians with exaggerated ambitions. No thought is given to being able to provide more schools, roads, and water. Just let them keep coming and try to play catch up later raising taxes for all.

If this is the best government can do, it would be better in my opinion to discourage migration into the Triangle by both residents and businesses.

So many outlying areas have lost their traditional industries to free trade and would welcome some solid businesses and homeowners.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I agree in one respect, stagnation isn't good.

However, growth here is being driven by developer greed and politicians with exaggerated ambitions. No thought is given to being able to provide more schools, roads, and water. Just let them keep coming and try to play catch up later raising taxes for all.

If this is the best government can do, it would be better in my opinion to discourage migration into the Triangle by both residents and businesses.

So many outlying areas have lost their traditional industries to free trade and would welcome some solid businesses and homeowners.
So what sort of greed brought you here? When was your impact fee collected?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM

No greed at all.

I was laid off by a utility company in New Orleans that got in trouble with nukes after Three Mile Island.

Got a job with a now defunct division of First Citizens Bank at 30% less salary.

Moved into an existing apt in a marginal part of West Raleigh.

Filed Chapter 7 to get out from under the New Orleans mortgage.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No greed at all.

I was laid off by a utility company in New Orleans that got in trouble with nukes after Three Mile Island.

Got a job with a now defunct division of First Citizens Bank at 30% less salary.

Moved into an existing apt.
When I came here I moved into an exisitng apartment in North Raleigh. Took an exisitng employment position and eventually bought an existing house. The roads I drive on to work have existed for decades.

I guess I am exempt from paying impact fees for eternity! What a releif!

You didn't pay an impact fee.

I didn't pay an impact fee.

Let's gang up on the next guy to move here and make him pay for everything!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM

Now that the new residents can't be absorbed by existing infrastructure, it costs us real money when newcomers arrive.

When a few new folks could be absorbed by the existing facilities, it was fine. Now, we need to shell out real money to support growth and we might just not want to pay for it.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Now that the new residents can't be absorbed by existing infrastructure, it costs us real money when newcomers arrive.

When a few new folks could be absorbed by the existing facilities, it was fine. Now, we need to shell out real money to support growth and we might just not want to pay for it.
Oh, it sounds like you are describing exactly what Mike J called attention to. I beleive he called it the "Shut The Door Behind Me Diversion".

It is very convenient of you to see things that way. You got here first so you should get a free ride while others arriving later should be required to earn their keep. Is that how it works? Mine is a simple question with a very simple answer. I'm going to ask it just one last time and then I'm out of this thread:

When did you pay your impact fee?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Not that I am saying Saturnfan's proposal is right..but just to point something out. For impact fees to exist at all anywhere....SOMEONE at SOME TIME has come before the impact fees were initianted and didn't hae to pay them, while others came after, and had to pay them. So in that respect, it's not so far fetched for people to come after saturnfan (or anyone else) to have relocaed to the area and not have had to pay an impact fee..while others who come later would have to pay it.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM

Moderator cut: quote removed
As a renter, I disagree. Our landlord paid a heck of a property tax bill last year according to the property tax online lookup. Now, does anyone think the landlord is simply going to pay the tax out of generosity? It is passed through in the rent just as we pay for the salaries of our staff.

We pay the Raleigh water bills along with the "junk" fees for stormwater, recycling, etc.

We pay our state income tax, property tax on our vehicles, and sales tax.

We can't get our McMansion's mortgage interest subsidized by renters.

We get no itemized deductions if we tithe or donate.

So where do we get a free ride?

By the way, I just love the ozone in recent summers and the traffic jams, the "benefits" of growth.

Bah humbug!

Last edited by autumngal; 06-21-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
As a renter, I disagree. Our landlord paid a heck of a property tax bill last year according to the property tax online lookup. Now, does anyone think the landlord is simply going to pay the tax out of generosity? It is passed through in the rent just as we pay for the salaries of our staff.

We pay the Raleigh water bills along with the "junk" fees for stormwater, recycling, etc.

We pay our state income tax, property tax on our vehicles, and sales tax.

We can't get our McMansion's mortgage interest subsidized by renters.

We get no itemized deductions if we tithe or donate.

So where do we get a free ride?

By the way, I just love the ozone in recent summers and the traffic jams, the "benefits" of growth.

Bah humbug!
I agree with you about renters paying their share although I don't agree with your antigrowth positions. Renters indirectly pay property taxes and cannot right off mortgage interest or property tax on their state or local income taxes. We're renting this year and our taxes will go up 50% as renters because of our lost deductions. I'm not sure why you can't itemize charitable contributions though. We will because our charitable contributions, state income taxes and personal property taxes will be more than the standard deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary