Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 AM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times

Advertisements

Hi.............

Just would appreciate any and all info for upcoming trip. We had a reservation at a hotel in Cary, but plans changed and someone else made a reservation through hotels.com for a place on Capital Blvd. It is Lodge America......................Specific address is 3215 on Capital. I would like to know if area is ok to walk around at night? Anything that I need to know before trip.....................Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 60,843 times
Default Capital Blvd.

That, my friend, is a long way from Cary. Unless you want to be in the northeast part of Raleigh, you could spend a lot of time and money just driving around from there. Depending on why you are going to the area, and what you want to do/see, I would do more research (on-line) on hotels/motels in the Raleigh/Cary area. Use on-line maps (google/yahoo) to make sure you will be reasonably close to your target. Raleigh is a fairly large sprawling city.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
The area's fine, but not really pedestrian-friendly. Capital might well be the widest and busiest surface street in Raleigh. It connects the northern suburbs to downtown. It is lined with strip malls with vast parking lots in front, the blocks are rather large, and I advise strongly against crossing outside of a crosswalk around there, so just walking to a place across the street can be quite a hike. Stick to driving around there, day or night, IMO.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 AM

518 posts, read 2,013,762 times
Question Not necessarily Cary, but.................

Knew from these postings that Cary, Apex, etc. are residential areas which is why I booked the hotel there to begin with.............This is more an exploratory trip...........

It is ok IF we have to drive because we will have a cheap rental car, but just mainly want to know if that is an ok place at night or IF we need to be extra careful..........

I'm from Memphis and my worry is that many hotels that are cheap and online and downtown are sometimes NOT worth paying 10 or 15 dollars less per night. That is the reason they are so cheap! My B-I-L left his hotel room in the middle of the day in Memphis, came back after a convention day and all valuables were gone, but he got a great rate on the hotel!!!!!! I just want to know ahead of time. There are tons of places downtown Memphis that are very nice places...........I know where they are, but I have never been to Raleigh. There are some places in Memphis I would tell people NOT to walk around freely at night without a care in the world........just to be more careful..........Would like to know ahead of time what sort of area we are in????????????????????

Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
I checked out the address on the Wake county website. They have Raleigh Crime Data from the last 30 days. It looks like at that hotel, there have been three reported incidents in the last 30 days. One larceny-motor vehicle (whatever that is) and two burglaries. IMO, that seems pretty safe for a commercial area. For comparison, I did the same analysis on the neighborhood around my house. One larceny-motor vehicle and one armed robbery, both within two blocks of my front door. And I'm supposedly in one of the better downtown neighborhoods.

Edit: actually, none of the incidents were AT the hotel, they were NEAR the hotel. Two across Capital Blvd and one on an adjacent property.

Last edited by starla; 06-21-2008 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
I stayed, or I should say tried to stay in that hotel about two years ago. I booked it with my CC reward points and had never seen the place. Once we arrived, it was about 10 pm. We checked in and I immediately got a bad sense of danger. The place is chalk full of drug dealers and gangsters. I think the fron office staff was even "dealing" and there were seedy characters all over the place. Once we got to our room, the sliding window would not lock. About 10 minutes later, a group of Hispanic males starting fighting in the parking lot . My wife and I left in a big hurry and as we left some group of angry Hispanics starting yelling at us and literally egging me on for a fight. They were drunk. I thought we were going to get shot. It was horrific and I would never stay there.

We ended up staying at a hotel in Cary and it was much nicer and safer. I seriously would re-book. The place is cheap and in a bad area. It is full of very bad characters.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times
I would stay at Comfort Suites in Cary. Its very affordable (like $84 on weekends?) They have an indoor pool, free FULL breakfast, free wireless internet and a computer with a printer free to guest use. I pretty much refer all my relatives and friends there and they come back saying it was great. Management there is very very good and the hotel is extremely clean.

Good luck.

L

Old 06-21-2008, 12:52 PM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
I would stay at Comfort Suites in Cary. Its very affordable (like $84 on weekends?) They have an indoor pool, free FULL breakfast, free wireless internet and a computer with a printer free to guest use. I pretty much refer all my relatives and friends there and they come back saying it was great. Management there is very very good and the hotel is extremely clean.

Good luck.

L
Ditto that! After we left the festering motel on Capital, this is where we ended up. could not have been happier. This is a safe, well run establishment. We felt VERY comfortable there. The rooms are actually like a small apartment. Nice fluffy beds and pillows, pin drop quiet, free everything, central AC. Again, I would strongly suggest you re-book and get out of that Ameri-lodge place on Capital. You will be in fear for you life if you stay there.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:39 PM

245 posts, read 809,334 times
Yeah, I also recommend Comfort Suites in Cary. It is a nice place, and they always seem to have free cookies!!

When we moved down here, we booked a cheap hotel in RTP for the night of the move. It was gross, and I used to be a serious budget traveler who doesn't flinch at much. IMO, trying to explore the area from a home base on Capital Boulevard (in a cheap hotel) would stink! To keep all your options open, I would probably drive down, check in, and then just leave the next day if you're not perfectly happy.. or that night if there is indeed illegal activity/drugs/etc. going on.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
We stayed at the La Quinta by the airport when we visited the area in Jaunary. Very nice, reasonable and right off the highway with easy access to Raleigh, Cary and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary