Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times

Advertisements

Here comes the Durham lover to endorse the Bull City. This is a very progressive, educated city with a prominent African-American middle class. Approximately 50% of the city is African-American. We are home to Duke University, North Carolina Central University--a historically black college, multitudinous cultural events including the celebrated American Dance Festival (going on now). We are home to the Triangle's Pride Parade. We have a great dining scene that is getting even better.

We have luxury neighborhoods--Hope Valley (the country club neighborhood), Forest Hills, Trinity Park to name a few.

We have the best private schools in the region: Duke School, Durham Academy, Carolina Friends.

Chapel Hill is about 80% white as of the 2000 census. It is full of educated liberals, no question. There is cachet to living in Chapel Hill, no question. It costs more, no question. It is also definitely a college town. It also seems kind of isolated from real issues that might actually test progressive values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Here comes the Durham lover to endorse the Bull City. This is a very progressive, educated city with a prominent African-American middle class. Approximately 50% of the city is African-American. We are home to Duke University, North Carolina Central University--a historically black college, multitudinous cultural events including the celebrated American Dance Festival (going on now). We are home to the Triangle's Pride Parade. We have a great dining scene that is getting even better. We have luxury neighborhoods--Hope Valley (the country club neighborhood), Forest Hills, Trinity Park to name a few. We have the best private schools in the region: Duke School, Durham Academy, Carolina Friends. Chapel Hill is about 80% white as of the 2000 census. It is full of educated liberals, no question. There is cachet to living in Chapel Hill, no question. It costs more, no question. It is also definitely a college town. It also seems kind of isolated from real issues that might actually test progressive values.
Wow DCgirl. One of the best spins on Durhan, and you know--I am apt to agree. It is a totally different look at the Bull City. I do know it has a large gay population, and is diverse. It does have the best private schools in the area, perhaps even in the state. Maybe it will also fit the bill of the OP. Thanks for pointing out some of Durham's attributes.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Wow DCgirl. One of the best spins on Durhan, and you know--I am apt to agree. It is a totally different look at the Bull City. I do know it has a large gay population, and is diverse. It does have the best private schools in the area, perhaps even in the state. Maybe it will also fit the bill of the OP. Thanks for pointing out some of Durham's attributes.
Thanks for not getting me wrong on Chapel Hill, Ausmerika. It's a really lovely place to live...

Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,153 times
I moved from DC to Durham too. LOVE it. Wouldn't live anywhere else in the triangle. Best independent restaurants, best free live music, new performing arts center coming, full frame documentary film festival, Durham Bulls, best funky vibe in the Triangle - no contest.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM

277 posts, read 797,526 times
Default Governor's Club!

In fact, I know of a house that is listed WAY below it's value...PM me and I'll fill you in.

Take Care.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I would respectfully suggest that Governor's Club, while a BEAUTIFUL place to live, is lacking on two counts that seem important to the OP-
It certainly has a population that is far more conservative than Chapel Hill "Proper", and is not in a location that most families with children would deem convenient to the things that families with children need daily access to.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,418 times
I agree with Funky Chicken. Get ready to drive A LOT if you chose Governor's Club. It really is not convenient.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 17,721 times
Governors Club is a mistake unless you're over 60. If you have kids, forget it. The place, much like fearrington village, is geared toward retired people (despite the website's kid-friendly claims - their one babysitting location used to be in a closet). Kids and families are met with "evil eyes" by the old set which dominates the club. In addition, there is palpable nouveau riche feeling around the club and "neighborhoods" (although the speed limit is 25, everyone drives 50 and there is only one sidewalk). It is an exceptionally beautiful place, though, and the amenities surrounding it are improving quickly as Chatham grows. The local grocery is now Harris Teeter which has made a huge difference from the Food Lion and Lowes Foods. There are some very nice people at GC, but they are overshadowed by the resident self-entitled baby boomers who think they own the place because they pay minimum dues to a second-rate club. Recently, the club president sent an email out urging everyone to be nice to each other... If rude behavior wasn't a huge problem at GC, he wouldn't have sent it. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary