Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 AM

8 posts, read 40,807 times

Advertisements

hello all,

Just discovered this board and wanted to get some insight....I am moving to raleigh from Tallahassee, FL. My wife accepted a big promotion and raise but had to relocate to Raleigh as part of the deal. We are looking forward to the move !!!

Questions....we have rented an apt. at The Preserve at Brier Creek (did all this online) until we find a neighborhood and house we like to purchase.

Can anyone provide info on Brier Creek area ?

...and I am in Medical Sales, had to resign from my company to make the move, but from what I can see, there seems to be ample medical sales positions in the area. Is the job market as good as I have read ???

Also, my wife is originally from Manhattan, and I saw some post where people were meeting at a Starbucks that were also from NY...she would love to get together.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all !

Last edited by shughes1962; 04-16-2007 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 32,584 times
moving to nc from li . hope to find job cake decorating as i have done this for 21 yrs. i would like to live in fuquay varina or holly sorings. i would also like to have an inground swimming pool in my back yard.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 32,584 times
my grown children are also moving to nc. we plan to put an apartment in our new house for my aging mother . does anyone know if there any restrictions in nc about doing this?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Brier Creek is a nice suburban area. It sits near the Raleigh-Durham airport, but not under the flight path, so you will probably get some airplane noise but not too much. There are several large strip shopping centers nearby, and covers basic shopping, groceries, restaurants, movie theaters, and the like. Many of the big box stores, such as Target, Walmart, BJs, and Kohls are there, as well as smaller shops.

You will be near the Brier Creek country club, which provides a nice golf course if that is up your alley. If you have kids, you are near Frankies, which can entertain them for hours on end (and drain your wallet quite quickly if you aren't careful!).

If you work in RTP, then the commute will be relatively short (think 10-15 minutes, depending on where in RTP you work). You are right near I-540, so commuting to other parts of the Triangle area is fairly painless. Downtown Durham is reasonably convenient, but it will be a long (probably something like 25-30 minutes or so) drive to downtown Raleigh, depending on traffic.

Can't provide much insight into the medical sales. Pharmaceutical companies are very big in RTP, though, and both Duke and UNC have great medical schools.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 158,654 times
I noticed that there are the luxury homes in the golf course area, which are out of my (around $250K) range, but I spotted other neighborhoods nearby, some of which have a Durham zip code, for $200K-$300K. Are these areas nice in terms of neighborhood and schools, or would we be missing out on stuff by not being in Cary/Apex? (All subjective, I know.) I've been told that some parts of Durham are a bit shady, but is this part of that area?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shughes1962 View Post
hello all,

Just discovered this board and wanted to get some insight....I am moving to raleigh from Tallahassee, FL. My wife accepted a big promotion and raise but had to relocate to Raleigh as part of the deal. We are looking forward to the move !!!

Questions....we have rented an apt. at The Preserve at Brier Creek (did all this online) until we find a neighborhood and house we like to purchase.

Can anyone provide info on Brier Creek area ?

...and I am in Medical Sales, had to resign from my company to make the move, but from what I can see, there seems to be ample medical sales positions in the area. Is the job market as good as I have read ???

Also, my wife is originally from Manhattan, and I saw some post where people were meeting at a Starbucks that were also from NY...she would love to get together.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all !
Brier creek is nice (as another poster has mentioned), it used to be out in the middle of the airport no where land, and then 540 made it a great place! wE love going to camille's for lunch, plus there is a movie theater right there, etc. It will definitely be convenient living in the apartments and being able to walk to the starbucks in the morning!

As far as medical sales, well, you are coming to an area with at least 7 major hospitals within 30 miles of each other, so that should speak volumes to the need in the area.

I have friends who lived in the brier creek apartments while they were house hunting and they loved it. it is quite a nice location to commute to the park.

Leigh

Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 PM

The neighborhood I was referring to is Harrington Grove. It looks affordable. Anyone live there/know about it? (I also found this website: http://www.hghoa.com/)

Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Harrington Grove is in Raleigh. There are some nearby neighborhoods with "Harrington" in their names which are in Durham, such as (I believe) Harrington Meadows.

Harrington Grove is a nice family suburban neighborhood. Convenient to RTP, and with shopping not too far (5 minutes or so). I know many people who live here and love the neighborhood - to the point that, when upgrading, they bought a larger home in the same neighborhood. It is directly under the RDU flight path, though, so if airplane noise bothers you then don't buy.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,223 times
Hmmm. Brier Creek.

It certainly is a popular area to live and surrounds a pretty decent country club which costs about 14K to join/ 65 bucks a round with a member. Single family homes are at least in the 400s with some at the million mark. Personally I wouldn't buy here as you get very little privacy and a very small lot. A friend of mine has a house with a lovely view from his deck of the TV in three of his neighbors houses. Honest! Its that bad. He paid 500K

But, you'll have no problem with reselling your house here as the location is so good i.e. less than 10 mins from the airport. Extremely popular.

As for your points Beatchbag, Brier Creek is right on the Wake County-Durham county border. Yes, you can get a similar sized house just in Durham County for half the price of a similar property in Brier Creek, yet the distance between the two is under three miles! There are some nice communities just off Lumley road, Durham, zip 27703, which fit your price range. I have a 1632sq foot single family, 0.4 acre for under 180K there myself. Problem is, the school district is Bethesda, which is really really poor (so I have been told). Luckily I don't have any kids yet.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM

It's very interesting, Big M. It reminds me a bit of where I live. My home is worth around 400K (these are Long Island prices; in Raleigh it'd be worth 250 or less!), yet there's a golf community nearby where the houses go for 1 million and up. But we're all in the same school district.

If the schools are not as good as Cary/Apex, I'd sacrifice a five-minute commute for a 30-40 minute commute.

(The job I'm interviewing for--fingers crossed--is near Brier Creek. My current commute is two hours door to door, so even a 45-minute commute would feel like a breeze.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary