Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,480 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to NC and I would like to try Apex. We'd be moving from Jersey City, NJ and the area of Jersey City that we live in is really nice, quiet and has a great mixture of culture and ethic backgrounds to offer. I have white, black, Asia, Hispanic and German neighbors.

The reason for the move you may ask? It's way too expensive and the apartments are like boxes! We are ready to purchase a home but would love to have the same type of community life. What I would like to know is if there is a mixture of races in this city? I did read that South Apex is not desireable so I will be looking toward the northern area. I have 3 young children and if you have any information of recreational activities for children and schools that would also be helpful.

Thanks...

Last edited by jeannie216; 07-03-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,656 times
Default Apex

Hello, I don't think I can be of much help since I have not been here a month yet. I'm in Cary, but my child is zoned for Apex schools. You can look here for info on schools. They just changed grades for the year round schools and my child starts on Monday. Wake County Public School System I drove around Apex a few times and have seen different races, but again I don't live there. The downtown area is so cute. I drove around looking at different townhouses just to look for for rent signs and did not see any, but than I went to craigslist.com under apartment searches and found some of those very ones I drove past were up for rent and decent prices too! I've also seen some decent prices for rental houses.

You can look in the photo thread and see some pictures of downtown Apex. I think it's so charming looking. I lived in Pequannock, NJ above stores (than went on to AZ and now here) and the Downtown Apex area reminded me a little of it. It made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 PM

551 posts, read 575,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlove315 View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to NC and I would like to try Apex. We'd be moving from Jersey City, NJ and the area of Jersey City that we live in is really nice, quiet and has a great mixture of culture and ethic backgrounds to offer. I have white, black, Asia, Hispanic and German neighbors.

The reason for the move you may ask? It's way too expensive and the apartments are like boxes! We are ready to purchase a home but would love to have the same type of community life. What I would like to know is if there is a mixture of races in this city? I did read that South Apex is not desirable so I will be looking toward the northern area. I have 3 young children and if you have any information of recreational activities for children and schools that would also be helpful.

Thanks...
I am not sure why south Apex would not be considered desirable, other than it is further away from RTP and is not as developed as central and northern sections of Apex. That could give you an advantage for pricing. There is quite a mix of people here, which I find very enjoyable.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 PM

83 posts, read 335,732 times
Apex is a great place, you have heard the right things. I live in the NW side of Apex, up near the Beaver Creek shopping area. Kids can actually walk from our neighborhood to the elementary school since it is only 1100 yards away or something like that. There are nice parks all around the town. Mostly young families live in Apex so you'll have no trouble meeting others for playgroups or others with similar interest.

All of the Apex schools score very well.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 AM

186 posts, read 659,797 times
I also live near Beaver Creek. My neighborhood is very diverse -- Filipino, Indian, Hispanic, African American, Chinese, Caucasian all on my block -- and very kid/family friendly. I like the area because while we're in a typical subdivision, half a mile away are cow pastures. Apex parks and rec has an abundance of activities for all ages and they are very affordable.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 23,757 times
I'm a NJ transplant. I've been here since January. I moved here from Bloomfield and am originally from Newark. I used to work in Jersey City in Journal Square. Right now we live in Raleigh about 1/2 a mile from Cary. We are currently renting but are looking to purchase once my husband secures a permanent job. Right now he's working as a temp.
So far I think I want to buy a house in Cary or Apex. I'm leaning more toward Apex. I just like the feel of it when I drive through, especially the downtown area.
Since we've got to wait to buy a house, we've taken the opportunity to drive through lots of different neighborhoods. We've seen a good mix of ethnic backgrounds in Apex. We haven't seen a lot of kids playing outside in the front of the houses (I assume most of them play in their yards), but the one place that we saw a group of kids playing outside in front of their homes was in Apex and they was a beautiful mix of children. It appeared that there were Caucasian, African American, Hispanic and Asian kids in the group. I remember it vividly because I was so excited when I saw it. We're basically looking for the same thing you are.
As for activities for the children, you won't have a problem finding that down here. I've noticed this area (Cary/Apex) is very family oriented. The Y has a lot of programs. There's one in Cary and one in Apex. The one in Apex looks very new. We drove by a couple of weeks ago and it has a gorgeous pool. If we buy a home that doesn't have a community pool, we're going to look into joining the Y. I also have three children and I have the older two in the Little Gym because my older one went there back in Jersey.
If you don't mind moving twice, I'd suggest renting first. We owned a home in Jersey and hoped to moved straight into a house over here but it didn't work out that way and I'm glad for it. This has given us a chance to see the area and decide where we want to live.
Good luck to you. I hope all works out well. Feel free to PM me.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 16,958 times
Default Moving to Raleigh

Thanks for your advice on Apex. I lived in NYC for 11 years. Moved to LA thereafter, and gave it 2 years but it just never clicked for me...maybe because I just had a baby when we moved and now I'm more family oriented (so living in an 800 sq ft apartment is no longer an option) or I'm just an East Coast girl at heart. Our daughter is bi-racial filipina/french so after all my research in the area, all is perfect except...my fear of our acceptance. Hearing that there is a mix of different cultures in the Apex area is comforting. I'd love any more advice on specific areas you would recommend!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:16 PM

14 posts, read 120,371 times
Apex is a more affordable alternative to the Cary and Raleigh neighborhoods. Because of this, you will find a wide mix of ethnicities. Apex is primarily a 'first time buyer' town, largely because you can purchase a big home with more flash for less money.

Holly Springs is also very similar to Apex, but it has a few more upper scale neighborhoods than Apex does, but you will find a similar crowd living there - new families, first time buyers, blue collar, NC natives.

Fuquay Varina may be another option for you, however, the poverty and crime levels are both greater in Fuquay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary